Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Needs

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Interesting ideas! I must be honest, I am sort of locked on OT and WR, but not totally. OT for sure! I have to be honest, I am not fully conversant on D at this point. I do like WR, because I can't imagine how potent we will be with Lock, Lindsay, Sutton, Freeman, Risner, Fant (if he continues to play this well)Ö.and another stud WR! We're set!

But if we were to say who we'd go for beyond the first 2 picks, I'd love BPA on D for the next 3 or 4 picks, unless we mix in another Oliner.
    i have been focusing more on the defense. a guy like Derrick brown or Marvin Wilson would be ideal for our D-line Right now i feel. they can play either Nose or End and they have a bit of pass rush moves while being huge.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i have been focusing more on the defense. a guy like Derrick brown or Marvin Wilson would be ideal for our D-line Right now i feel. they can play either Nose or End and they have a bit of pass rush moves while being huge.
    Keep posting this detailed info. I am not nearly as tuned in as you!

I have to admit, I am not a DT "early" kind a guy. I prefer going with players with quicker turnaround, given DTs usually take a few years. In that regard, I am ok with choosing one a little later, or going FA. But if you can find players who can do some DE as well, I am quite interested!

Keep posting this detailed info. I am not nearly as tuned in as you!

I have to admit, I am not a DT "early" kind a guy. I prefer going with players with quicker turnaround, given DTs usually take a few years. In that regard, I am ok with choosing one a little later, or going FA. But if you can find players who can do some DE as well, I am quite interested!
    i could understand that there are few later rounds guys that has popped a little to me. i feel like the good news with this class and our needs it looks like a super strong CB class. honestly this looks like a pretty strong class coming together in general.

oakland raders gm

Obviously a lot depends on how free agency goes and since we could be looking at closer to 85 million in cap space after a few cuts.

But right now before free agency I would put our needs as

Corner. Harris could be gone and our corners aren't great so getting some talent there would really help out even if we keep Harris getting another to pair him with will help.

Receiver. Our receivers outside of sutton aren't that good. They are young and could grow into something but playing the waiting game could be costly. Trying to get another receiver to add plus giving lock another weapon will be vital.

Defensive and offensive line. This is where I think our biggest needs will be. Offensive line I could see a pair or even 3 picks depending on how the coaching staff views Bolles growth and if James is even worth his money. Leary should be gone so interior should be needed either with a center or guard and possible tackle of two. And the defensive line could use a couple of pieces also. This will come down to free agency with who we bring back.

ILB could see another added maybe a cover linebacker as Todd Davis and Jewell just aren't going to cut it next to Johnson in the passing game. If we could get a fast flying lb to pair with Johnson that would be ideal.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

i could understand that there are few later rounds guys that has popped a little to me. i feel like the good news with this class and our needs it looks like a super strong CB class. honestly this looks like a pretty strong class coming together in general.
    See I love that you relate that it's a super strong CB class, because in those situations you can save your CB selections to a later round or two, given the talent will likely be there. The problem is when there is a weak class at positions of need, because the tendency is to go higher in the draft, otherwise the talent level declines rapidly. Strong group, loads of talent spread over a number of rounds, at almost the same value.

Therefore, IMO, you can take a Defensive player at another position of need, higher in the draft.

So for me....OT, WR, followed by at least 3 straight positions on D, hopefully with BPA as a guide. Maybe go CB in round 3 or even 4. I guess I could move WR to round 3, if a BPA on D is too hard to turn away from in round 2.

It's the old game....need and/or BPA. It's not usually all or nothing, but a sensible combo thereof.

See I love that you relate that it's a super strong CB class, because in those situations you can save your CB selections to a later round or two, given the talent will likely be there. The problem is when there is a weak class at positions of need, because the tendency is to go higher in the draft, otherwise the talent level declines rapidly. Strong group, loads of talent spread over a number of rounds, at almost the same value.

Therefore, IMO, you can take a Defensive player at another position of need, higher in the draft.

So for me....OT, WR, followed by at least 3 straight positions on D, hopefully with BPA as a guide. Maybe go CB in round 3 or even 4. I guess I could move WR to round 3, if a BPA on D is too hard to turn away from in round 2.

It's the old game....need and/or BPA. It's not usually all or nothing, but a sensible combo thereof.
    there are 5-6 maybe more corners with first round grades i am seeing around this in mocks now

oakland raders gm

there are 5-6 maybe more corners with first round grades i am seeing around this in mocks now
    As for WRs, Walter Football has us taking CeeDee Lamb in round one, and Tylan Wallace in round three....which is overkill in my books. But just like CBs (as you say), there seems to be some depth at WR this draft, as follows (based only on Walter Football):
    Round 1 - 4
    Round 2 - 6
    Round 3 - 6

If this is even close to accurate, I like the round two or round three opportunity. I stick with OT in round one, and go with D for either two or three, and then four and five.

As for WRs, Walter Football has us taking CeeDee Lamb in round one, and Tylan Wallace in round three....which is overkill in my books. But just like CBs (as you say), there seems to be some depth at WR this draft, as follows (based only on Walter Football):
    Round 1 - 4
    Round 2 - 6
    Round 3 - 6

If this is even close to accurate, I like the round two or round three opportunity. I stick with OT in round one, and go with D for either two or three, and then four and five.
    i wouldn't listen to alot of what Walterfootball says. he is normally way off with stuff

oakland raders gm

Double dip on the offensive line and at cornerback in the first 4 rounds.

I want to see a serious investment in the offensive line, we just need talent added to that group. I think one thing that has gone under the radar this year is how bad our offensive line has been at even opening running lanes, and obviously pass protection hasn't been great either. I would like to see a new left tackle, potential competition at center, and a new right guard added as well. I think McGovern is a guy who is still coming along, but competition in the way of a 4th/5th round pick, or the addition of a middle of the road free agent is needed. Then the big investments, left tackle and right guard early would be welcomed.

I think getting rid of the contract of Leary and replacing him with a rookie would be a good move. You can find guards in that 2nd/3rd round range who can start from day 1 and be contributors in a positive way, see Dalton Risner. I also think you could potentially move Garett Bolles inside and invest that top pick in a left tackle, that would be the main move I would want to see. Bolles can have solid games, but he just hasn't gotten any better, he is a major liability, and his days as a starter have to be limited.

Then defensively, I would get rid of Chris Harris and look to add a young cornerback in that 2nd round area. It would appear you're taking one step back to attempt to go forward, but Chris Harris will want money he isn't worth, and in all honestly I don't like the guy. I think you move on from him, he brings you a 3rd round compensatory pick down the road, and you take a young guy and throw him into the fire. Simmons has come along this year in his coverage abilities, Jackson has versatility to help out in coverage, and hopefully Callaghan can come back and play a role. Leaving that starter hopefully being a rookie, and potentially adding 1 decent sized contract at cornerback in free agency, or what I'd prefer, double dip in that 3rd or 4th round.

So for me, I want to see a new left tackle and cornerback early in the draft, then the rest is really open. I think some pass rush talent could help, a new guard and center would be welcomed, and someone opposite Sutton would be a luxury. I love that we have 4 picks in the 3rd and 4th round, which obviously isn't Elways strong suit, but I am hoping we can add some solid contributors in that range. I know that I just want to see no over spending on mediocre guys in free agency, and too just add youth and continue to build. I will take another losing next year if it means once again we bring along young guys, which Fangio seems to be doing quite well in year 1.

Round 1: Left Tackle
    Round 2: Cornerback
    Round 3: Right Guard
    Round 3: Cornerback
    Round 4: Wide Receiver
    Round 4- Center

Who are some good CBs outside of the 1st-2nd round guys? Because I see it as a top heavy class, but Iíll be honest, I havenít done enough research on the mid-round guys to conclude if itís a deep class or not.

i wouldn't listen to alot of what Walterfootball says. he is normally way off with stuff
    I concur. Trouble is, that site is usually near the top of NFL mock drafts, which means someone is reading. But I use it like a reference source, as I do other sites....which help me narrow in on what's trending.

Yeah....why would we go WR twice in the first 3 rounds? But I hope we land one in those 3 rounds.

Un-sexy Draft:

Round 1: Left Tackle / Bolles
    Round 2: Right Tackle / James
    Round 3: Center / Vacant
    Round 3: Cornerback / Dawson
    Round 4: Cornerback / Yiadom
    Round 4: Right Guard / Vacant

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Un-sexy Draft:

So your not touching receiver at all, which means we take our young QB into the season with ONE legit starting receiver who will be doubled all season, and if he gets banged up we are completely doomed. We need to add to his weapons like KC did with Mahomes, not tie one hand behind his back.

The corners next season are going to be Dawson, Yiadom, and 2 mid round rookies ? Yikes !

The OL needs some improvement but they have played well recently and are not some terrible unit that some perceive them to be. We will not go overkill on the OL and ignore holes on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Un-sexy Draft:

If those positions hit... I think very sexy

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    So your not touching receiver at all, which means we take our young QB into the season with ONE legit starting receiver who will be doubled all season, and if he gets banged up we are completely doomed. We need to add to his weapons like KC did with Mahomes, not tie one hand behind his back.

The corners next season are going to be Dawson, Yiadom, and 2 mid round rookies ? Yikes !

The OL needs some improvement but they have played well recently and are not some terrible unit that some perceive them to be. We will not go overkill on the OL and ignore holes on the roster.
    What about FA for WR and CB? IMO, finding a good OT is more likely to happen in the draft than FA (we haven't had much luck there) so it should be prioritized in the top rounds of the draft.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016