• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hadez
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2004

May not be easy to fix the OL in the draft in 2020

We currently 7th

Just about everyone in the top part of the draft needs OL. We will be competing with a lot of teams for OL talent in the draft and free agency. Reading some of the notes some teams may actually have bigger Pass Protection issues than us

Which pick in the 2020 NFL Draft does your team hold, and what are the top needs for all 32 clubs? Have a look at where things stand for every squad coming out of Week 10.
    What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
    effort x talent = skill
    effort x skill = achievement
    How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?
  • Papa-pwn
    Captain
    • Aug 2008

Well, we're one loss out of a top three pick, so we could be in a fine spot concerning draft positon. Also, don't rule out the possibility of teams trading up into the top 5 for a QB. If this class ends up with two or three QBs worth that, and Lock has good enough games to warrant us holding off on that, that will push OL talent down the chain as well.

No related to the draft, but to the OL situation this offseason, there are a number of good OL we could pursue. We stand to have between 65-85m in cap space depending on who we cut or re-sign, and could be able to snag an above average starter.

Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
    George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
    Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
    Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers.
    Brandon Scherff, Washington Redsins

Are some I'm interested in. An OL of AndrewThomas-Risner-McGovern-Scherff-James, would be fantastic- if healthy.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

I've seen a number of drafts with us taking an Oliner, but you are right, there are some teams with QBs, who need Oliners as well. if we deduct a little, it appears that, by the time we select, at least 2 QBs will be gone, along with DE Chase Young, and OT Andrew Thomas. Then there are a couple of more OTs (as far as I can tell) with a high round one designation, that could be there. But will they be there, or will we reach a little?

I guess it will all come down to where we pick. Hard to say who will be there if we fall to 10 or lower.

(Note: my goodness, I just saw one draft with us taking, you guessed it, a QB. Joe Burrow. This can't be happening again, can it? Mind you, he seems to be a QB on the rise.)

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
        Football Immortal
        • May 2010

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
        Well, we're one loss out of a top three pick, so we could be in a fine spot concerning draft positon. Also, don't rule out the possibility of teams trading up into the top 5 for a QB. If this class ends up with two or three QBs worth that, and Lock has good enough games to warrant us holding off on that, that will push OL talent down the chain as well.

No related to the draft, but to the OL situation this offseason, there are a number of good OL we could pursue. We stand to have between 65-85m in cap space depending on who we cut or re-sign, and could be able to snag an above average starter.

Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
        George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
        Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
        Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers.
        Brandon Scherff, Washington Redsins

Are some I'm interested in. An OL of AndrewThomas-Risner-McGovern-Scherff-James, would be fantastic- if healthy.
        I feel like we would have to be lucky to get Thomas
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
          I think you are right. Thomas is high on most every mock I've seen. Top 5 pick for sure, based on what we know today.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
            Captain
            • Aug 2008

Yeah, we would need to pick no later than 5th and at least 2 QBs would have to go before we pick. Possible, but will take some good(or bad?) fortune on our part.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
              Football Immortal
              • May 2010

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              I think you are right. Thomas is high on most every mock I've seen. Top 5 pick for sure, based on what we know today.
              I feel like he should end up the fourth pick with young tua and burrow rounding out the rest of the top 4. Ifs Wirfs and Thomas are gone I hope we trade down a bit. Isaiah Simmons is an interesting prospect at ilb and would fit like a glove in place of todd davis in the fangio defense. I also expect us to hit og oc and dl in this draft.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                Football Immortal
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                Yeah, we would need to pick no later than 5th and at least 2 QBs would have to go before we pick. Possible, but will take some good(or bad?) fortune on our part.
                We would probably have to end up like top 3 and hope haskins revives the skins and they get some good wins coming down the stretch so we can jump them. Then we still have to worry about the giants. But I think they will grab young with out a second thought
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm

Comment

• L.M.
                  Vitalstatistix
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  We currently 7th

Just about everyone in the top part of the draft needs OL. We will be competing with a lot of teams for OL talent in the draft and free agency. Reading some of the notes some teams may actually have bigger Pass Protection issues than us

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-dolphins-no-5
                  Are they all going to be prioritizing OL #1 and drafting need over BPA??? And look how many need a QB.
                  Last edited by L.M.; 11-13-2019, 12:45 PM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                    Football Immortal
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                    Are they all going to be prioritizing OL #1 and drafting need over BPA??? And look how many need a QB.
                    Thomas is good enough of an lt that he should be one of the top players available for the draft in general this kid has all pro upside at lt
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

I feel like he should end up the fourth pick with young tua and burrow rounding out the rest of the top 4. Ifs Wirfs and Thomas are gone I hope we trade down a bit. Isaiah Simmons is an interesting prospect at ilb and would fit like a glove in place of todd davis in the fangio defense. I also expect us to hit og oc and dl in this draft.
                      I see 3 QBs in the mix now - Tua, Justin and now, even Joe. There are others that may rise by year end. Regardless, two will be gone in the top 5. And Chase Young is apparently the best player in the draft.....from what I read. And Thomas, being the #1 OT, will clearly be sought after come draft day.....it is always a prudent decision to draft the best Oliner early. High reward/low risk (as long as their character is decent). So, if conducted tomorrow, the odds are good that the top 4 are 2 QBs, a DE and an OT. From there to wherever we pick will be interesting.

And yeah...if we surprise and win more than anticipated, we will have to play it by ear....or move up. Moving up is costly.

Comment

• L.M.
                        Vitalstatistix
                        • Oct 2006

Tankathon has us at 9th currently (not 7th) and Walter Football has us picking Joe Burrow at #9 with Andrew Thomas to the Redskins and OT Austin Jackson to the Browns before us.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Tankathon has us at 9th currently (not 7th) and Walter Football has us picking Joe Burrow at #9 with Andrew Thomas to the Redskins and OT Austin Jackson to the Browns before us.
                          "Tanks" for that pal!!!

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2017

Tanks for the Memories lol

Comment

• rst08tierney
                              VISIONS OF CONFETTI
                              • Nov 2006

alright...well this is when your GM dumps the fat and spends a little in FA.

Comment

Working...
                              X