Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,308

    May not be easy to fix the OL in the draft in 2020

    We currently 7th

    Just about everyone in the top part of the draft needs OL. We will be competing with a lot of teams for OL talent in the draft and free agency. Reading some of the notes some teams may actually have bigger Pass Protection issues than us

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-dolphins-no-5
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,467
    Well, we're one loss out of a top three pick, so we could be in a fine spot concerning draft positon. Also, don't rule out the possibility of teams trading up into the top 5 for a QB. If this class ends up with two or three QBs worth that, and Lock has good enough games to warrant us holding off on that, that will push OL talent down the chain as well.

    No related to the draft, but to the OL situation this offseason, there are a number of good OL we could pursue. We stand to have between 65-85m in cap space depending on who we cut or re-sign, and could be able to snag an above average starter.

    Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
    George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
    Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
    Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers.
    Brandon Scherff, Washington Redsins

    Are some I'm interested in. An OL of AndrewThomas-Risner-McGovern-Scherff-James, would be fantastic- if healthy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,759
    I've seen a number of drafts with us taking an Oliner, but you are right, there are some teams with QBs, who need Oliners as well. if we deduct a little, it appears that, by the time we select, at least 2 QBs will be gone, along with DE Chase Young, and OT Andrew Thomas. Then there are a couple of more OTs (as far as I can tell) with a high round one designation, that could be there. But will they be there, or will we reach a little?

    I guess it will all come down to where we pick. Hard to say who will be there if we fall to 10 or lower.

    (Note: my goodness, I just saw one draft with us taking, you guessed it, a QB. Joe Burrow. This can't be happening again, can it? Mind you, he seems to be a QB on the rise.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Well, we're one loss out of a top three pick, so we could be in a fine spot concerning draft positon. Also, don't rule out the possibility of teams trading up into the top 5 for a QB. If this class ends up with two or three QBs worth that, and Lock has good enough games to warrant us holding off on that, that will push OL talent down the chain as well.

    No related to the draft, but to the OL situation this offseason, there are a number of good OL we could pursue. We stand to have between 65-85m in cap space depending on who we cut or re-sign, and could be able to snag an above average starter.

    Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
    George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
    Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
    Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers.
    Brandon Scherff, Washington Redsins

    Are some I'm interested in. An OL of AndrewThomas-Risner-McGovern-Scherff-James, would be fantastic- if healthy.
    I feel like we would have to be lucky to get Thomas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel like we would have to be lucky to get Thomas
    I think you are right. Thomas is high on most every mock I've seen. Top 5 pick for sure, based on what we know today.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel like we would have to be lucky to get Thomas
    Yeah, we would need to pick no later than 5th and at least 2 QBs would have to go before we pick. Possible, but will take some good(or bad?) fortune on our part.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think you are right. Thomas is high on most every mock I've seen. Top 5 pick for sure, based on what we know today.
    I feel like he should end up the fourth pick with young tua and burrow rounding out the rest of the top 4. Ifs Wirfs and Thomas are gone I hope we trade down a bit. Isaiah Simmons is an interesting prospect at ilb and would fit like a glove in place of todd davis in the fangio defense. I also expect us to hit og oc and dl in this draft.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Yeah, we would need to pick no later than 5th and at least 2 QBs would have to go before we pick. Possible, but will take some good(or bad?) fortune on our part.
    We would probably have to end up like top 3 and hope haskins revives the skins and they get some good wins coming down the stretch so we can jump them. Then we still have to worry about the giants. But I think they will grab young with out a second thought

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We currently 7th

    Just about everyone in the top part of the draft needs OL. We will be competing with a lot of teams for OL talent in the draft and free agency. Reading some of the notes some teams may actually have bigger Pass Protection issues than us

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-dolphins-no-5
    Are they all going to be prioritizing OL #1 and drafting need over BPA??? And look how many need a QB.
    Last edited by L.M.; 11-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Are they all going to be prioritizing OL #1 and drafting need over BPA??? And look how many need a QB.
    Thomas is good enough of an lt that he should be one of the top players available for the draft in general this kid has all pro upside at lt

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel like he should end up the fourth pick with young tua and burrow rounding out the rest of the top 4. Ifs Wirfs and Thomas are gone I hope we trade down a bit. Isaiah Simmons is an interesting prospect at ilb and would fit like a glove in place of todd davis in the fangio defense. I also expect us to hit og oc and dl in this draft.
    I see 3 QBs in the mix now - Tua, Justin and now, even Joe. There are others that may rise by year end. Regardless, two will be gone in the top 5. And Chase Young is apparently the best player in the draft.....from what I read. And Thomas, being the #1 OT, will clearly be sought after come draft day.....it is always a prudent decision to draft the best Oliner early. High reward/low risk (as long as their character is decent). So, if conducted tomorrow, the odds are good that the top 4 are 2 QBs, a DE and an OT. From there to wherever we pick will be interesting.

    And yeah...if we surprise and win more than anticipated, we will have to play it by ear....or move up. Moving up is costly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,613
    Tankathon has us at 9th currently (not 7th) and Walter Football has us picking Joe Burrow at #9 with Andrew Thomas to the Redskins and OT Austin Jackson to the Browns before us.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,759
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Tankathon has us at 9th currently (not 7th) and Walter Football has us picking Joe Burrow at #9 with Andrew Thomas to the Redskins and OT Austin Jackson to the Browns before us.
    "Tanks" for that pal!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Tankathon has us at 9th currently (not 7th) and Walter Football has us picking Joe Burrow at #9 with Andrew Thomas to the Redskins and OT Austin Jackson to the Browns before us.


    Tanks for the Memories lol

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,570
    alright...well this is when your GM dumps the fat and spends a little in FA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •