• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bronx_2003
    Banned User
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    When it comes to player representation, I think the current stats are pretty much based on merit, and there is absolutely no need to mirror the population.

Therefore the product on the field is almost as good it gets.
    i completely agree, and believe it is in all aspects of life. Unfortuantly there are some groups of people who don't want that.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
      Football Immortal
      • Jun 2007

He’s not right for this team but there are definitely quite a few QBs he would be better than. I mean if Nathan Peterman and Paxton Lynch can still be on a team then so can Kaepernick. Look at some of the backups around the NFL. He has a place in this league on somebody’s roster, even if it is just as a camp arm

Comment

• johnlimburg
        Ring of Famer
        • Sep 2009

Ability wise he deserves to be on a roster, but he isn't worth the distraction. Same as Tebow the other year. He was probably deserving to at least be on a roster as a third stringer, but having him didn't warrant the distraction, no difference in my opinion.

Comment

• listopencil
          Revenant
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          He’s not right for this team but there are definitely quite a few QBs he would be better than. I mean if Nathan Peterman and Paxton Lynch can still be on a team then so can Kaepernick. Look at some of the backups around the NFL. He has a place in this league on somebody’s roster, even if it is just as a camp arm
          That's a good comparison. Lynch was (deservedly) cut by the Broncos after two years, then spent a year not playing, then signed by the Seahawks but cut in preseason, then signed to the Practice Squad of the Steelers the next year. Do you think Kap would be willing to go through all of that to get a chance at playing?
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• FR Tim
            Football Immortal
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
            That's a good comparison. Lynch was (deservedly) cut by the Broncos after two years, then spent a year not playing, then signed by the Seahawks but cut in preseason, then signed to the Practice Squad of the Steelers the next year. Do you think Kap would be willing to go through all of that to get a chance at playing?
            Assume for a second that Kaep is signed. Assume he has the skills left to be a reliable 2nd to 3rd string backup. So he gets his platform to preach and the team that signs him gets credit for doing “ the right thing”.

Maybe that is exactly what a team is looking for and hoping to achieve. Being the team that is in the forefront of social activism and bringing their community together with the signing. If that is what they want.... so be it.

But what if a team doesn’t want their back up QB to be the subject of every interview or on nightly news as the face of the franchise making political statements. Imagine Tebow times a hundred.

Imagine for a second if he can’t compete anymore and the decision “should “ be to cut him in the pre-season. Imagine that backlash for that organization. Reality won’t matter. Headlines would go from “Team was enlightened to Team is racist” in just a couple months. Perhaps losing the locker room too.

Just what every team is looking for in their backup QB. Controversy. Risk/ reward does not add up.

I apologize to the mods for addressing the elephant in the room. Just tough to just talk about just skills with Kaep. He himself calls himself an activist/ NFL player.

I prefer the Broncos stay as far away from Kaep as possible. His potential contributions on the field can’t justify the risk of his potential headaches off of it.

Comment

• bronx_2003
              Banned User
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              Assume for a second that Kaep is signed. Assume he has the skills left to be a reliable 2nd to 3rd string backup. So he gets his platform to preach and the team that signs him gets credit for doing “ the right thing”.

Maybe that is exactly what a team is looking for and hoping to achieve. Being the team that is in the forefront of social activism and bringing their community together with the signing. If that is what they want.... so be it.

But what if a team doesn’t want their back up QB to be the subject of every interview or on nightly news as the face of the franchise making political statements. Imagine Tebow times a hundred.

Imagine for a second if he can’t compete anymore and the decision “should “ be to cut him in the pre-season. Imagine that backlash for that organization. Reality won’t matter. Headlines would go from “Team was enlightened to Team is racist” in just a couple months. Perhaps losing the locker room too.

Just what every team is looking for in their backup QB. Controversy. Risk/ reward does not add up.

I apologize to the mods for addressing the elephant in the room. Just tough to just talk about just skills with Kaep. He himself calls himself an activist/ NFL player.

I prefer the Broncos stay as far away from Kaep as possible. His potential contributions on the field can’t justify the risk of his potential headaches off of it.
              I think most people follow this train of thought that he is not worth the hassle and drama of bringing in as a back-up. I made the Tebow example earlier in the thread.

Personally I wouldn't bring him in to any team because I don't believe his ability, espeically now in his 30's and 5 years out the game, is worth the baggage he will bring, but the ONLY way he can be signed IMO is to be a starter somewhere, then at least you won't be giving your starting QB a nightmare scenario.

There are very few teams who could use a starter, the only team I can think of is the Jags. I'm not a believer in Minshew so he could start there, I can't think of many other places he would walk in and start.

Overall he isn't worth it, but will probably get signed for all the wrong reasons. As long as its not here I don't care, Driskell may not be an elite back-up but he won't bring a ton of drama either to the team or Lock lol

Comment

• FR Tim
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                I think most people follow this train of thought that he is not worth the hassle and drama of bringing in as a back-up. I made the Tebow example earlier in the thread.

Personally I wouldn't bring him in to any team because I don't believe his ability, espeically now in his 30's and 5 years out the game, is worth the baggage he will bring, but the ONLY way he can be signed IMO is to be a starter somewhere, then at least you won't be giving your starting QB a nightmare scenario.

There are very few teams who could use a starter, the only team I can think of is the Jags. I'm not a believer in Minshew so he could start there, I can't think of many other places he would walk in and start.

Overall he isn't worth it, but will probably get signed for all the wrong reasons. As long as its not here I don't care, Driskell may not be an elite back-up but he won't bring a ton of drama either to the team or Lock lol
                I am not sure why Minshew is always on the list of replaceable QBs. If I'm a Jags fan I would be just as excited about his potential as I am a Bronco fan for Lock's potential. And in reality a bigger body of work to justify it.

I also find the reported Kaep interest from the Chargers as a bit of a mystery. They have Taylor, they used a high first for Herbert but they are going to bring in Kaep because he "might" still be able to play the style they are working on?

For me the best "fit" based entirely on on-field pothential would be the Pats. Stidhem is the starter? At least Kaep would give McD some options if he can be anywhere near the effectiveness as he once had. Off the field it would be a complete nightmare that I would so love to see the fireworks between the clash of cultures of the Pats Way and Kaep's Way. Belichick would spontaeously combust before the season started!

As long as not a Bronco, welcome back to the League. Just keep the cameras rolling because it will be 5 star entertainment wherever Kaep lands.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                  Banned User
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                  I am not sure why Minshew is always on the list of replaceable QBs. If I'm a Jags fan I would be just as excited about his potential as I am a Bronco fan for Lock's potential. And in reality a bigger body of work to justify it.

I also find the reported Kaep interest from the Chargers as a bit of a mystery. They have Taylor, they used a high first for Herbert but they are going to bring in Kaep because he "might" still be able to play the style they are working on?

For me the best "fit" based entirely on on-field pothential would be the Pats. Stidhem is the starter? At least Kaep would give McD some options if he can be anywhere near the effectiveness as he once had. Off the field it would be a complete nightmare that I would so love to see the fireworks between the clash of cultures of the Pats Way and Kaep's Way. Belichick would spontaeously combust before the season started!

As long as not a Bronco, welcome back to the League. Just keep the cameras rolling because it will be 5 star entertainment wherever Kaep lands.
                  The Chargers are a strange one but Lynn has spoken up a lot on BLM so maybe he feels he needs to sign Kap for some silly reason, it won't do Herbert any good if they do though.

Regarding Minshew its just a personal way I see him. I watched him in London last season and he had a weak arm and looked really limited. He seems like one of those QB's who will make a few 'magic' plays but ultimately does not have the tools to take a team anywhere.

Comment

• Murph2432
                    Playmaker
                    • Sep 2008

I think he would fit perfectly in Arizona imo. He's not going to take over the starting role there over Murray. He would be a good back up (I assume, even though we haven't seen him play in years). Jags makes no sense to me because i believe they are in tank mode. Chargers makes no sense either considering you just signed Herbert.

Comment

• EddieMac
                      Canuck Mod, eh!
                      • Feb 2004

Kaep was a running qb that had his flash in the pan until he was cooked. He never evolved his game, and his body had broken down. He never learned or cared to learn the art of quarterbacking, and consequently lost his job to Blaine Gabbert. Make no mistake about it. If Kaepernick were an elite player he would be playing for an NFL team. Colin Kaepernick has become the most talked about back up qb in NFL history, and that’s why no team is willing to pick up his baggage. They don’t do that for backups….
                      sigpic

Comment

• BroncoFanSam
                        Bench Warmer
                        • Jan 2004

What does it say when we sign Blake Bortles, and Kap is sitting at home?
                        It's all good fun!

Comment

• broncolee
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BroncoFanSam View Post
                          Prove Kaepernick even wants to play football before asking this question. His own actions show that he doesn’t want to return to football.
                          Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• -Rod-
                            #TeamBroncos
                            • Mar 2008

It says Kaepernick's QB skills are not worth the distraction he brings. And that's an opinion shared by all 32 teams.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

It says that Denver offered him a chance in 2016 to be the starting QB of the then defending Super Bowl Champions. Kaepernick got mad that that they asked him to take a pay cut (Manning had taken a pay cut the year before) and then in his grievance against the NFL he used the Broncos wanting him to take a pay cut as an example of the collusion. They deposed John Elway because of it.

Given that (and the other things mentioned) it's not shocking that Denver didn't give him a call this time.

Comment

• EddieMac
                                Canuck Mod, eh!
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                                It says Kaepernick's QB skills are not worth the distraction he brings. And that's an opinion shared by all 32 teams.
                                True. And at the end of the day. He doesn’t want to play football... He want attention, and a platform it brings...

On the field it’s about how well he plays only...and that ain’t very good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X