Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    My mommy once told me, that if you don't have anything good to say about someone, then don't say anything at all. IMO, it applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    8 mil a year to be a starter.

You understand Kyle Orton got 10mil a year to back up Romo for 2 years.

Kap was totally low balled at that time.
    An offer made after he he earned the backup position on the 49ers with the 9ers still on the hook for much of his previous contact - so he wasn't exactly in the driver's seat to negotiate out of the gate.

So he was low balled? I really don't see a problem with that. Each side wants to start in a position favorable to them. I think Kaep's mistake was being so public of being insulted instead of dancing the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    An offer made after he he earned the backup position on the 49ers with the 9ers still on the hook for much of his previous contact - so he wasn't exactly in the driver's seat to negotiate out of the gate.

So he was low balled? I really don't see a problem with that. Each side wants to start in a position favorable to them. I think Kaep's mistake was being so public of being insulted instead of dancing the dance.
    And really... Elway would have been called out if he overpaid for a washed up vet player...So was it a lowball? or fiscally responsible based on the risk that he was not a viable starter?
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    And really... Elway would have been called out if he overpaid for a washed up vet player...So was it a lowball? or fiscally responsible based on the risk that he was not a viable starter?
    As I recall, Elway tried to get the Niners to pay the balance of Kaepernick’s contract minus the $7-$8 million he offered to Kaepernick. It’s not like Elway didn’t try to help Kaepernick out with the money.

I can understand why Elway didn’t want to pay the full amount and Kaepernick did the predictable thing by rejecting a lower salary.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I think thatís an ambitious assumption....he wasnít three years ago...I doubt 3 years of no football makes him better...
    "At least he'll be well rested"

Coach Jimmy McGinty (from the movie The Replacements)

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    "At least he'll be well rested"

Coach Jimmy McGinty (from the movie The Replacements)
    The dude can't possibly look much worse than some of the players I've watched this year....

He was offered $8 million, on a one year contract to be the day 1 starter for the defending Super Bowl Champions. He passed on that to "bet on himself" and ended up as a backup and then out of the league at the end of the year.

The $8 million may have been low (not really given his play in the years leading up to that) but the opportunity to be a starter for a championship team with an elite D, and some very nice offensive pieces was much greater than him taking more in San Francisco. Instead he chose to be a backup (initially) for more money, and then didn't play great in his 11 starts and his team going 1-10 in his starts, he probably lost much bigger in the longer term than he would of by taking less for the better opportunity.

Kaepernick is probably better than some back-ups, but he isn't worth the circus. It is exactly the same as the Tebow mania thing years ago. Was Tebow probably a better football player than guys who were on NFL rosters ? Yes, but he wasn't worth the trouble of having him around. I find it hilarious that the NFL has set this up for Kaepernick, and he still seems hell bent on creating unnecessary waves. The NFL has set up a workout for him, people still call it disingenuous, teams are sending scouts and the like, people say it's all for PR, and this unemployed, mediocre football player who has been screaming for a chance for years now is making demands, he has zero leverage to do that.

Value is determined by the market, and it would appear based on market interest, the Denver Broncos would of been severely overpaying for his services based on the climate at that time, and based on what it is today. Kaepernick did have a great opportunity to come here and he turned it down. I respect someone standing up for what they believe in, but in a corporate world where branding and money is everything, polarising stances are not in the best interest of the business. You as an employee cannot do whatever you like and expect everyone to be okay with it, I cannot do that, athletes cannot do that, and that is just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Value is determined by the market, and it would appear based on market interest, the Denver Broncos would of been severely overpaying for his services based on the climate at that time, and based on what it is today. Kaepernick did have a great opportunity to come here and he turned it down. I respect someone standing up for what they believe in, but in a corporate world where branding and money is everything, polarising stances are not in the best interest of the business. You as an employee cannot do whatever you like and expect everyone to be okay with it, I cannot do that, athletes cannot do that, and that is just the way it is.
    To be fair, Denverís offer came before the kneeling. Kaepernick was under contract to the 49ers. Itís not like he was on the open market and he turned down the best offer among multiple offers.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Ok and this matters why?.......

I am certainly not thinking that would work in his favor.
    It was more of an observation, there's plenty of tape on him already.
    If someone wanted him, they could have signed him years ago.
    Years have gone by and nothing.

I'd rather role with Allen and Lock.

App

Don't forget he also quit on the 49ers.
    You are worth only what someone is willing to pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    To be fair, Denver’s offer came before the kneeling. Kaepernick was under contract to the 49ers. It’s not like he was on the open market and he turned down the best offer among multiple offers.
    That is true, however, the 49ers obviously didn't want him anymore, evident by them granting him permission to meet with the Broncos front office to discuss a contract. At the same time, no one else was knocking down the 49ers door to make a deal for him, and no one else was showing serious interest in acquiring him, and as you said, it was before he took his "stand" by kneeling. The market pre-kneeling was already non-existent for Kaepernick, and although he was never a free agent at that time, he was obviously known to be up for grabs, and no one wanted him, except John Elway apparently. Then, by him doing what he done during that pre-season and everything which followed, he just made it much harder on himself which is understandable.

For those who forget, we had 8.5 million available cap space. So the offer had to be 8. Kaepernick said no, and that was that.

If I can try to blend this into one of my concerns going forward.....we need a starting QB. I do not expect us to sign Kaep, even as a backup. But the bigger picture sometimes worries me. Flacco - done in my books. Allen - forced into action, seemingly backup QB (at best). Rypien - pass. Lock - lets see what he's got. So if I was a worrying type (oh no, I am) I am not even sure how good our backup situation will be next year. And seriously, do we have a starter?

And for the first time of late, I see a mock draft with us taking Burrow. Then I panic, "do these mockers know more than we do?"

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020.php

Denver Broncos: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

This has to be John Elway's final chance. He has screwed up all of his quarterback moves, excluding Peyton Manning. He spent a second-round pick on Drew Lock last year, but Lock has shown no signs that he can be a viable starting quarterback in the NFL. Unless that changes, I could see Elway making one final move to save his job.

Joe Burrow's stock has soared in the wake of his 2019 performances, especially his victory over Alabama. Burrow was actually not considered a first-round prospect back in September. Charlie Campbell reported that NFL Teams See a Day 2 Ceiling for Joe Burrow. However, second-round quarterback prospects are chosen in the first frame all the time. Quarterbacks are pushed up, and all it takes is for one decision-maker to believe in a certain prospect.

So this is not about endorsing Colin K. This has just got me thinking yet again.....do we have a plan B? Do we in fact have a plan A?

"Relax self".
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.