Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Except he was offered the contract before any of the kneeling protest started and not after so the blackballing 'idea' still applies.
    You forgot to mention his play in 2015, he started only 8 games, had a 59% completion, and 6/5 TD to INT ratio. His play had slipped, and he was never an elite QB to begin with.

As for the blackballing issue (without getting too far into a dicey are) are other players that kneeled during that time are still gainfully employed and playing. Including Eric Reid, who is probably more outspoken than Kaepernick ever was. If he had NFL talent, he would currently be employed.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Per Adam Schefter....one NFL Exec in attendance said Colin still has an elite arm. Not saying that's enough, but it's not a neg. Here is Adam's tweet:

After today’s workout in Atlanta, an NFL executive at Colin Kaepernick’s throwing session said his arm talent is “elite” and is the same as when he came out of college. He said that Kaepernick threw the ball well.

Kaep was quite assertive after the workout. I wasn't sure how he would react, but he sure seems ticked. That's probably why he changed venues.

Bottom line....can he play. Does a team need him.

Arm strength was never in question, accuracy was the big question. Today's workout didn't test that.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Arm strength was never in question, accuracy was the big question. Today's workout didn't test that.
    I realize that, but thanks. Just relaying what an NFL Exec took the time to publicize.

I think that many were expecting that he is lesser than he was back then. And if his arm is still "elite", and the rest of his game is close to where he was a few years back, he is probably better than a number of backups. IMO, a number of them do not have "elite" arms, or look as athletic as he still does. Yes, accuracy separates him from a starter job, but lets see if there are any takers as a potential backup.
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.

If the clips on ESPN are anything to judge by, this workout was a farce. Kaepernick’s Targets were jogging, he still has the windup in his throwing motion that plagued his career, and he still misses 7 throws out of 60 which sounds good until you realize Lynch missed 12 throws at his pro day in 30-40 mph winds

I realize that, but thanks. Just relaying what an NFL Exec took the time to publicize.

I think that many were expecting that he is lesser than he was back then. And if his arm is still "elite", and the rest of his game is close to where he was a few years back, he is probably better than a number of backups. IMO, a number of them do not have "elite" arms, or look as athletic as he still does. Yes, accuracy separates him from a starter job, but lets see if there are any takers as a potential backup.
    Again you're confusing arm strength with accuracy and vision. "arm talent" might be the most overrated QB metric. There are plenty of QBs who could throw it through plywood (Kaepernick being one) but had no other aspects of the game. Meanwhile there have been plenty of QBs with poor "arm talent" (Brady and Manning being two of them) who proved that a good head and accuracy makes up for that.

As for any takers, no chance. Him cancelling his NFL workout to have his own workout, where it just so happens a Nike video crew was set up ready to film a commercial, pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin. Kaepernick is about Kaepernick, not playing in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    If the clips on ESPN are anything to judge by, this workout was a farce. Kaepernick’s Targets were jogging, he still has the windup in his throwing motion that plagued his career, and he still misses 7 throws out of 60 which sounds good until you realize Lynch missed 12 throws at his pro day in 30-40 mph winds

Were there any defensive backs out there? Until he can use his "elite arm talent" to actually recognize open receivers (NFL open) and fit the ball into tight windows, there's no chance anyone will sign him. This whole thing was about him filming a commercial, and another chance to extend his "brand" rather than getting back into the NFL.

He's had several chances (Broncos, Ravens, XFL, this workout) at every one of those chances he's done things to sabotage it. He doesn't want to be an NFL QB.

Again you're confusing arm strength with accuracy and vision. "arm talent" might be the most overrated QB metric. There are plenty of QBs who could throw it through plywood (Kaepernick being one) but had no other aspects of the game. Meanwhile there have been plenty of QBs with poor "arm talent" (Brady and Manning being two of them) who proved that a good head and accuracy makes up for that.

As for any takers, no chance. Him cancelling his NFL workout to have his own workout, where it just so happens a Nike video crew was set up ready to film a commercial, pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin. Kaepernick is about Kaepernick, not playing in the NFL.
    Let us not forget the choice of apparel too ......
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Totally agree... and this “sudden” move to the school went so smoothly..it’s being speculated he planned this little show/no show stunt a while ago...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Not confused at all. Lets break this down...an NFL Exec commented on his arm, not me. My take is pretty straightforward. He had weaknesses in his game before, including field vision and accuracy. BUT if an NFL representative says something positive about his arm, it means he is better at this stage than I thought. Not saying he has the accuracy or field vision straightened out.

And one of my inferences is that, if he has an "elite" arm, whatever that Exec meant, and he looks pretty mobile, he may be as good as some backups. Because some backups do not have "elite" arms, nor great accuracy or vision.

Not confused at all. Lets break this down...an NFL Exec commented on his arm, not me. My take is pretty straightforward. He had weaknesses in his game before, including field vision and accuracy. BUT if an NFL representative says something positive about his arm, it means he is better at this stage than I thought. Not saying he has the accuracy or field vision straightened out.

And one of my inferences is that, if he has an "elite" arm, whatever that Exec meant, and he looks pretty mobile, he may be as good as some backups. Because some backups do not have "elite" arms, nor great accuracy or vision.
    Sorry Can - using your post to discuss a number of separate issues surrounding Kaep's workout.

I'm sure he could still play QB in the NFL. We need to remember Kaep was a reasonable QB for the 49ers and was one play away from taking them to the SB. However, he suffered a bad shoulder injury from which he never fully recovered. Elway offered him $7M to join and start for the SB Champion Broncos, as a one season "prove it" deal. Kaep held out for his $12M guaranteed salary with the 49ers. In the offseason before the 2016 season, no team offered Kaep the $12M he wanted. It simply was no longer his market price. He should with hindsight have taken the Broncos offer.

We all know what happened in THAT 2016 preseason
    game and cannot discuss it here.

If the shoulder has fully healed (and it should have done in the 3 years he has been out of the NFL) and he is therefore physically able to play to a reasonable standard, the only real question is can he meet the challenges of playing QB in 2019? As others have said he had accuracy and throwing motion issues. But were these issues injury related or simply a matter of bad mechanics?

15+ teams sent scouts to the original venue which proves on the face if it at least, that there remains some interest from NFL teams in Kaep. Indeed, 3+ teams also made it to the second venue.

However, legal wrangles over the standard NFL waiver and control over filming; the fact the NFL scheduled the event for a Saturday when most team officials/scouts would be on their way to games; and the gentle nature of the workout all suggest that this was a PR operation for both the NFL and Kaep and not a genuine attempt by either to reintegrate Kaep into the NFL.

My understanding is that the event was set up on Tuesday. If so, it was a useful media distraction from the NFL from the fallout of the Browns/Steelers game. Who now is talking about Myles Garrett or Mason Rudolph? It could have been a coincidence but it is certainly a convenient one.

Hard to say at this point that this was as much of a stunt as it was a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I guess. There are plenty of players in the league who are media headaches. The difference is they’re not marginal players. Kaep was not very good the last two years he played.
    Would you pay a guy franchise money (which is what he wants) to be a borderline starter/probable backup who will also be a constant media distraction? There’s a big difference between someone being blacklisted and someone being not viewed as worth the headache.
    The Broncos have two players on their roster who were very public in their criticism of the police. The difference is they’re good football players.
    You forgot to mention his play in 2015, he started only 8 games, had a 59% completion, and 6/5 TD to INT ratio. His play had slipped, and he was never an elite QB to begin with.

As for the blackballing issue (without getting too far into a dicey are) are other players that kneeled during that time are still gainfully employed and playing. Including Eric Reid, who is probably more outspoken than Kaepernick ever was. If he had NFL talent, he would currently be employed.

Hey I get what you're both saying and agree with most of it concerning his play, but my only real point was just about the GUARANTEED $$$ he already had coming to him by staying in SF. Elway was only offering to pay about half that so no way I leave that big a difference on the table since the 9ers weren't willing to pay the difference.

I wanted Kap back then but I don't want him today and that's only because it's been 3 years since he last played, which wasn't very good, and I'm really hoping Lock is our future.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Hey I get what you're both saying and agree with most of it concerning his play, but my only real point was just about the GUARANTEED $$$ he already had coming to him by staying in SF. Elway was only offering to pay about half that so no way I leave that big a difference on the table since the 9ers weren't willing to pay the difference.

I wanted Kap back then but I don't want him today and that's only because it's been 3 years since he last played, which wasn't very good, and I'm really hoping Lock is our future.
    Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't he end up walking away from that guaranteed money anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Hard to say at this point that this was as much of a stunt as it was a workout.
    Oh, it was a stunt alright. Kaepernick pulled quite the stunt by switching the venue and the circumstances in which the workout would be held.

We’ll see if Kaepernick’s stunt pays off for him.

Like I said before, the whole thing calls into question his true desire to play in the NFL.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't he end up walking away from that guaranteed money anyway?
    I think his actual 49ers contract may have had more years on it but he was in the final year of the guaranteed money portion of that contract. And the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to extend him after that year.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above