Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I see new health food stores opening, seems like every month around here. Good food choices. Fresh. Tasty.

But I wonder how many of them will succeed. As much as folks are eating more sensibly, folks are not all eating more sensibly. The hunger for a juicy steak or a big cheeseburger, or desserts, or various versions of fried foods never fully subsides for many.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-04-2019 at 02:32 PM.

We are losing a pillar of our family soon. And watching it unfold, like every one I have observed in past, is painful. There is nothing like death. The impact can be like a hard kick in the gut, so hard that one can hardly breath. And it's the sadness, and the changed lives of those we care about that is even more painful, because one hopes (maybe believes) that the beloved person we have lost is no longer in any form of pain.

Those who remain suffer well beyond.

And though we may think we are ready for such loss, when it occurs we are usually not nearly as prepared as we had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey JT...went right by this one!! My mistake.

But my observation....

Do you think Simon and Garfunkel ever thought about changing their song to "Sound Of Crickets"?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B6A&FORM=VIRE0
    My observation on this is:

Did you notice that even though we are not in the "answer question with a question" thread, we are still asking each other questions with a question?

I see new health food stores opening, seems like every month around here. Good food choices. Fresh. Tasty.

But I wonder how many of them will succeed. As much as folks are eating more sensibly, folks are not all eating more sensibly. The hunger for a juicy steak or a big cheeseburger, or desserts, or various versions of fried foods never fully subsides for many.
    I am enjoying that there are a few more "healthy" fast food places. One I like is called "modern market". It gives you the ability to eat somewhat healthy and still eat like fast food. It is pricier, but not too out of line.

We are losing a pillar of our family soon. And watching it unfold, like every one I have observed in past, is painful. There is nothing like death. The impact can be like a hard kick in the gut, so hard that one can hardly breath. And it's the sadness, and the changed lives of those we care about that is even more painful, because one hopes (maybe believes) that the beloved person we have lost is no longer in any form of pain.

Those who remain suffer well beyond.

And though we may think we are ready for such loss, when it occurs we are usually not nearly as prepared as we had hoped.

Sorry D - I hate to hear of loss. It's a painful cycle of life...you have my sincere condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    My observation on this is:

Did you notice that even though we are not in the "answer question with a question" thread, we are still asking each other questions with a question?
    Ha ha....I did observe that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Sorry D - I hate to hear of loss. It's a painful cycle of life...you have my sincere condolences.
    Thank you Greg! I felt a need to share the circumstance, because the aspect of loss is so difficult, and hard to compare to anything else. My Brother-In-Law is a great man, and his time is near. But the family support is amazing, as is the hospital staff! So he will leave with the dignity he deserves. I write this now, as we will be leaving again in a couple of hours to see him. To be there, whether or not he knows. But I have learned that you should never assume the person is unaware. When my Mother passed, the nurse told me to talk to her, even though she was in a coma like state. it can be a comfort to the person. So, never let that moment pass without saying something.

If I may add....some of the most beautiful moments in life, may come about just before a person leaves us. My Mother again...she had been in that state for nearly a couple of weeks. We wondered if she was ok, hopefully with no pain. Then late one night she opened her eyes, and smiled at us, and within a few seconds she drifted away again. That moment was an invaluable one. It changed everything. We knew she was ok, and that she was happy to see us. To my knowledge, she did not awaken that way again. Had we not been there in those 10-15 seconds, we would never have known.

It was a beautiful thing.

I have observed that I am almost lost without lists. I used them extensively in my career, and still need to use them, to get things organized, and DONE! I find that when I float around without some guidance, I tend not to accomplish as much, and feel a bit disorganized.

Plus I get some satisfaction as I cross things off.

Funny thing, but at work I used to have lists that were getting very long indeed! And each day I would add some more. Sure, I had some planning processes that I used, sort of project management oriented, and I had timelines in place.....but I still kept a list close at hand. That scrap of paper was a faithful friend (that kept me very busy!), and yes, security blanket!

Do you ever put too many eggs in one basket? There are situations when folks put too much of their time, money and effort into one or maybe two endeavours. Sadly, but sometimes those things go south, and when they do, you wonder what other things could have been pursued, and with good, and more meaningful results. Unfortunately, there is nothing to show for some initiatives. Just lost time, and lost opportunity.

Do you ever put too many eggs in one basket? There are situations when folks put too much of their time, money and effort into one or maybe two endeavours. Sadly, but sometimes those things go south, and when they do, you wonder what other things could have been pursued, and with good, and more meaningful results. Unfortunately, there is nothing to show for some initiatives. Just lost time, and lost opportunity.
    Indeed Can.

We tend to say, "if only I had this, or that" and that would be all that we ask for. Somehow I don't think it typically works that way. Because if we got that one thing, I sense that, given time, we would slide over to near where we were before. I believe that there is almost never a "if I had this" (except for some of course)….because our tendency is to rebalance, and then be who we are. And still want other things, and possibly even forget most of what we were hoping for in the first place.

I think the infamous lottery win is exciting to consider, but in that case, seems like folks sometimes change, and not for the better.

It's cool to be hopeful, and it's not selfish to want certain positive changes in one's life....especially if you have worked for it. But I am not sure, outside of a few exceptions, that we are good at "if only I had this" outcomes.

I have noticed that sometimes when I dig my hands into pockets of jackets, especially older ones, I come up with some prize....usually one or two tums, or maybe an advil, often a receipt...and yes, occasionally some cash!

Funny how invigorating it is to find a buck or two, here or there! Sometimes even a bigger chunk of cash. Same goes for drawers I have not opened for seems like years, old gym bags, etc. Not a bad idea to do a little hunt through your goods, just to see what you may come up with it. The odds are small, but there might be something that you should have found sooner.

It's not like you actually gained some money...but it feels like it!
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.

For me, going to the dentist is akin to taking a car in for maintenance, or doing a renovation. They always tell me something that I don't want to hear about!

As a long-time visitor to the USA, I must ask this question - before CDs completely disappear... why, in the name of anything good, does the USA shrink-wrap new CDs with the tightest, hardest-to-remove, plastic known to mankind? Now to the real crux of the matter with American CDs.... the white sticky strip along the top of each CD, printed with the artist and album title.... ‘peel here’ it says at one corner. Oh yeah, sure thing. You get a fingernail under the corner, and a tiny sliver breaks off. Then you try to pick it again, and it just won’t play ball. Another tiny wee piece breaks off.... An hour later.... you get into the CD case and there’s still bits of white plastic stuck on the top edge of the case, you’ve snapped the damn thing in two in a fit of anger....

America. I love you, but by God, what were you thinking!? 😀

Quote Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
    As a long-time visitor to the USA, I must ask this question - before CDs completely disappear... why, in the name of anything good, does the USA shrink-wrap new CDs with the tightest, hardest-to-remove, plastic known to mankind? Now to the real crux of the matter with American CDs.... the white sticky strip along the top of each CD, printed with the artist and album title.... ‘peel here’ it says at one corner. Oh yeah, sure thing. You get a fingernail under the corner, and a tiny sliver breaks off. Then you try to pick it again, and it just won’t play ball. Another tiny wee piece breaks off.... An hour later.... you get into the CD case and there’s still bits of white plastic stuck on the top edge of the case, you’ve snapped the damn thing in two in a fit of anger....

America. I love you, but by God, what were you thinking!? ��
    hey poz!