Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I had to double check if this was real or not! It was bad enough, but it also prevented the one fellow from playing video games!!!

I have observed that sometimes when folks are in a messy life situation, they actually can be very productive. Maybe more so in the field of creativity, as in music, film, and the like. Fleetwood Mac created the amazing "Rumours" while they were splitting up from one another. And Phil Collins came out with "Face Value" including one of my all time favs - In The Air Tonight, as he and his wife broke apart. Just 2 examples of many, many more I could offer.

Hopefully there's a lesson...when life hits you in the gut, you can hit right back...productively. And I think part of it has to do with the fact, being in this difficult zone, we sometimes see things much different. As I say, take advantage, because when things get back as they should, there is a chance that this form of creativity will fade in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I had to double check if this was real or not! It was bad enough, but it also prevented the one fellow from playing video games!!!
    ......video game 'owneet'

Red-Nebonix
    Last edited by dizzolve; 02-18-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Growing up, I disliked asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower. I think my parents boiled them, stripping whatever taste they had, plus the nutritional value.

These days, baking these same vegetables, and seasoning them well, make them tasty and appreciated.

The takeaways.....don't give up on people or things. Another one....be thankful for change!!!

I ask myself sometimes, what constitutes value? Supply and demand are definitely part of the equation. I learned that pretty much day one of my economics course, and it has never wavered.

BUT I sometimes have difficulty understanding how an ordinary meal for two, with tax and tip and no extras, can cost $40 or more, whereas things I have purchased may last forever, and be of use throughout....sometimes costing a few dollars. For example, thank goodness for The Dollar Stores / Dollarama's of the world. And a special pat on the back to those folks who create their unique and wonderful crafts, for less than an ordinary meal for two.

FTR....the meal better taste good, because the life expectancy of that product/service, is very limited!

I often say that our weaknesses in youth can become our strengths as adults. At some point we properly address the soft spot in our game, once we can accept that it is not our fault, and that we can improve by studying, practicing, or whatever it takes to get better. Not an overnight thing for sure, but it is amazing how the best at this or that, is often one who was not good at it, in their youth. For myself a good example would be public speaking. I was terrible at it, mostly because of the fear. It was definitely not an easy fix, but it did work out well.

Sort of on the same topic, as youth we may have fallen under poor guidance in terms of being taught the correct way, or even a reasonable facsimile thereof. Bad teachers can have bad impacts. Whether it be yourself, or someone you know, check to see if it was more about being improperly taught rather than something else. Might be as simple as a golf grip. Or, like me, having a bad session on how to shift gears on a standard. (The dude was out to lunch...but luckily I had a different instructor the next session!) But here's the crux of it.....why live your entire life doing something the wrong way, when you can address it once you've taken the time to assess where it all went wrong.

I appreciate those who teach. But not everyone is a good teacher, and some are just flat out uncaring in the process. So lets be positive going forward, and make those sometimes subtle changes in life, that can make a significant improvement....whether it be in the process alone or in how we feel about ourselves.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-21-2020 at 10:47 AM.

In my observations, especially when younger, folks tend not to be too closely associated with their parents in terms of behaviour, looks, beliefs, intellect, athleticism....unless of course, they have really good genes. Even then, we want to be "us", and nobody else. Otherwise we can feel like a bi product, as opposed to a standalone. We want to be ourselves.

But often when folks age a certain degree, even those you might not expect, tend to get interested in their ancestry. Where they came from. About their past. The specifics of their relatives, from way back when. And folks might want to travel to where their ancestors were rooted. And eventually I believe, outside of some exception, we tend to get tighter with our past than we expected, though never giving up on being "ourselves".

Fighting is not normally a good thing. If uncontrolled, something very bad could happen. It could change lives. But when I see a fight in hockey, where 2 guys respect the code, and do not take advantage of a situation by looking to add injury....and then pat each other out of respect, I can sort of buy in to the premise. Not to say something bad still may not happen, because one punch, or someone landing the wrong way, could lead to serious injury. But if there's a right way, I guess that's it.

I also observe than a high % of players who go toe to toe, would probably like to have the opponent as a team mate.

Last piece of trivia, from my perspective on the topic, many of the so called goons in hockey are among the nicer and/or funnier people in the game.

People can often be heard saying, "trust me". And it sounds so comforting, if you believe them, because it comes across as a definitive, look no further, affirmation of a fact.....and likely one that you were not sure about.

"Trust me" is a significant factor, especially if you actually trust that person. Often this is a valuable comment, if from family or friends that you have faith in, or an expert that has a good reputation. However not so good, if you do not have confidence in that individual. Having said that, there will be times that someone you trust will be proven wrong, which if nothing else, will decrease their value points from your perspective. Even if their intent was 100% positive.

If you are lucky, you have a lot of "trust me" folks in your life, that you truly trust. And even if they do not have a perfect score when it comes to such situations, be careful not to make too much of it....because their positive intent, and valued relationship is worthy of all the forgiveness you can offer. Because good partnerships are not always easy to find.

Another valuable lesson....do as much homework as you can.

I have always enjoyed looking at old photos.

Historical Photos

LOTS more can be found here...
    Yesterday Today

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmh...bW-0Hxg/videos
    Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 02-25-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: changed video

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post
    101 Amazing Historical Photos Volume 7

LOTS more can be found here...
    Yesterday Today

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmh...bW-0Hxg/videos
    Very interesting!!!

So when folks say, "up here in Canada", do Americans see us when they look towards the sky?

(we still miss ya Kawhi!!)

I have a ton of respect for public speakers. Just gave a short little presentation to about 40 or so and man was it nerve wracking.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I have a ton of respect for public speakers. Just gave a short little presentation to about 40 or so and man was it nerve wracking.
    I was absolutely horrible at public speaking and hated answering questions in class - I took a Speech class and it changed my life. I practiced more in the mirror in terms of talking and now I do radio for a living. I also give some pretty good TedX Talks to my students that I teach about life, learning, adversity, responsibility, accountability etc.

Practice makes things easier.
    Twitter: @CodyRoarkNFL Youtube: CodyRoarkNFL

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyRoarkNFL View Post
    I was absolutely horrible at public speaking and hated answering questions in class - I took a Speech class and it changed my life. I practiced more in the mirror in terms of talking and now I do radio for a living. I also give some pretty good TedX Talks to my students that I teach about life, learning, adversity, responsibility, accountability etc.

Practice makes things easier.
    Easily one of the top "biggest fears" on this planet. #1 in must studies I read.

I have mentioned recently but I was scared to speak publicly when I was a teenager, and still recall how bad it was when I was presenting in my college days. But I took it to heart. I studied up. I learned the tricks of the trade, including any type of deflection I could do to minimize the anxiety when others were staring at me. Now, if it was a social presentation, a couple of drinks worked nicely, as well as some good jokes. However that's a different audience. Once you make them laugh (and hopefully drink), they often make it easy for you.

But not so in business, for example. So I learned how to use power point and whatever side shows I could, to not only sell what I was presenting, but to keep their eyes off me. I spent a huge amount of time making sure my presentation and support info was solid and to the point I basically had it all memorized (even though I had notes). I even took my glasses off, so that I could not see each face so clearly! ANYTHING!

And no matter what I present, I tend to give myself a "you got it" send off, and I always remember to be confident, and without doubt, JUST START, and keep on going!

In time, thanks to a good bud, we delved into skits and MCing for folks' special events, like retirements, special awards, and so on. We were a good team, and people would enjoy our comedy and such. By getting more comfortable in that mode, eventually MCing on my own, and becoming better and better at it at work, I sort of became good at it. But it took years. And I can honestly admit that I was nervous for most, even when I was supposedly respected for it. So I went from scared teenager, to being asked to MC our company's annual Information Session. Please do not assess this as boasting, rather than…."it can be done". And the beauty of it, once you get some recognition, they will keep asking you to speak/present, which makes you even more practiced.

But even so, I did not fare well every time, and I can tell you first hand how a Stand Up comedian must feel when bombing!!

And never, ever disobey this one law......KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. They are all different, and have different needs and expectations. Do your homework!

Last....I knew the day would come that I would be asked to do a Eulogy....probably the hardest of all presentations to do. Then it happened, but not as I expected. Within 1-2 months I did Eulogies for my Dad, and my younger cousin. Yes, those presentations did go over as I had hoped, but not as I wanted.

Last edited by CanDB; 02-27-2020 at 10:20 AM.