Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I love most gift coupons! I love that I can buy coffee and donuts one day, and then go to a nice restaurant with my wife another, and add some music to my Ipod another, and go to a hockey or football game, or whatever else my family (usually) purchases for me. Because it is "Free" baby!!

Just an observation....but often folks get anxious when a key member of the group leaves, and there is a feeling of concern that things will deteriorate immediately, and never rise to that same level for many years. But I observe that there are usually very qualified folks waiting in the wings, though not well known...who may even surpass the ability of the person we are losing. I've seen this in so many areans...be it sports, business, government...even family. So yes, be disappointed in the loss of that person, but be hopeful, because the future depends on those waiting for their chance, and do not underestimate them.

I think the movie The End starring Burt Reynolds said it best, when he realized he did not want to drown, and started telling God he'd sacrifice a lot if God saved him....but as he got closer to shore, and realized he was less and less at risk, his sacrifices became smaller and smaller. I think a lot of us are like that. I am for sure. If I get past a bad situation, when I have looked for help (above), my pledge becomes weaker and weaker. And then I tend to go to another area of need for help, perhaps with some sacrifices on the table.

My sister is a sweet, soft person who often prays for folks, like me. It is a very nice gesture. We used to have a well intentioned smile about her even so, like when my dear Aunt (bless her), used to say that she should give our Creator some time off, to take care of all those other things that needed attention, so to speak.

In the end, I secretly hope that my sister's prayers for me get some prime time consideration!

Losing can sometimes be more valuable than winning.

So they ended our "Extreme Cold" warning, as the wind chill was slightly less than -40C, or -40F, whereas in other wintery places, I've observed much less cold = extreme cold. Hey, just because we live in the prairies in Canada does not mean we have different body temperatures!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So they ended our "Extreme Cold" warning, as the wind chill was slightly less than -40C, or -40F, whereas in other wintery places, I've observed much less cold = extreme cold. Hey, just because we live in the prairies in Canada does not mean we have different body temperatures!!

When I was in grade school (YEARS AGO, LOL!), I remember my 3rd grade teacher told our class that the US is going to convert to celcius and we are going to the 10-base system like every other country in the word. She told us we HAVE to learn it!
    Of course, we haven't changed and I don't see us changing anytime soon. Why are we still on such a stupid system? Mericans!

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    When I was in grade school (YEARS AGO, LOL!), I remember my 3rd grade teacher told our class that the US is going to convert to celcius and we are going to the 10-base system like every other country in the word. She told us we HAVE to learn it!
    Of course, we haven't changed and I don't see us changing anytime soon. Why are we still on such a stupid system? Mericans!
    Hey pal....when this all began, I was against converting to metric. Hey, I liked what I was used to, like Fahrenheit, pounds, gallons, inches, feet, yards, and yes miles. All of it! I actually wondered why we would be different than The USA.

Here we are today. I am pretty decent at both systems. Some of it is easy. Yards are close to metres, miles and kilometers are pretty easy to convert in your head. Still not huge on the fluids, like milliliters. Heck we still talk about height and weight, often in non metric weighs. Love pounds and feet/inches. As for temps, I am decent at converting there as well. I often refer to hot days, as in 90 degrees plus. Still like it when it's in the 70s, with little wind. And in the deep of winter, -40 is equal in C and F. Then again, not keen on those days!

The one thing I will give the metric system is it's use of 10's and other relatable measurements. Makes some sense, for example, that 0 degrees is freezing and 100 degrees is boiling. But I would have been quite fine to have gone on in my life, in the old, standard way.

Regardless, because I am pretty good at both, sort of say I'm Bi-measurement I suppose.

When you are out in public, and you see someone you know, do you often have mixed feelings about saying "hello"? Depends who it is for sure. If it's someone close, of course. But sometimes when I see a person that I have not met for a long time (again, depending who it is), I may have second thoughts. Maybe I just don't feeling like catching up, or trying to think of what to say, or if I will feel ok with a quick hi/bye, given that might make me feel even more stupid! Heck, how can I not talk for a while, given how long I had known them?

But sometimes we do not feel our best, or look the way we hoped, and the so called "meeting" might have to wait.

Then again it can get even more confusing, given it appears they looked my way....and didn't make a move towards me. I guess that's a checkmate! Carry on....see who might be next.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-14-2020 at 08:15 PM.

There are a number of things that bother me about being forgetful....but I can't remember what the worst one is.

I believe it's been said that you are a reasonable reflection of the closest friendships you keep. Based on that, I should be much wiser, kinder, fun than I am!

Can I sneak this in, that I am pretty good at making quality friendships???

*peaks at wife, and wonders how she agreed to this long term partnership

Jupiter... The bouncer of the solar system

Today lets visit....... Jupiter, dim the lights......

Keep 'em coming 2MW!!!

Being part of the human race is great, but sometimes I lose my breath....

Red 98

Kareem rises to the top