Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    As it gets cooler and windier, and yes, perhaps snowier (in the next couple of days), and the leaves keep falling, there's a silver lining...

WE HAVE MORE AND MORE RIVER VIEW!!!

I am not telling my wife, but I think I will put it up for sale shortly, to highlight the view!!! Might be worth more.

Then again, I was hoping to stay with my wife, and in one piece!

Passwords

How many passwords are you required to use? How many of them are the same???

I can hardly keep track, though I do track them these days, unlike what I used to do which got me in all kinds of trouble when trying to recall what they were.

Some folks make me laugh though, because apparently they still use the ole, "123456" or "password". I'm a little more sophisticated, but probably not as wise as I should be. It bugs me that I have some passwords with a few caps/numbers, because it slows me down!! As if I am in a huge hurry!

But some places I connect with have interesting security, that makes me wonder how smart they are. My friend told me that he has extra security, like some do where they ask you for additional info just in case....but one of them is simply what is your favourite ice cream flavour. Heck, most of us probably have no more than 3 flavs that make it to that level, unless you are a more creative type, I suppose. I can see an imposter thinking..."ok, lets go vanilla, followed by chocolate, then strawberry." I think my pal should just lie a little, and go "mangopeachblueberrypeanutbutter", though that might not fit.

And one password I will never forget came about when a person at the place I worked asked me to use her credit card for a company purchase. When I got there, I needed a password, so I called her. Lets just say, for a person I thought was pretty clean, she had a very interesting vocabulary!

When I am critical, I wonder if our security is really that secure. I've heard/read far too many security breaches, and was told at an IT type conference several decades ago that companies would not go public (in cases where they caught the intruder) because it would scare customers away. So even if security laws are different now, think of all the "break ins" we never heard about.

I can go on about what it was like to have our identity stolen, but that's another story altogether!

Stay safe!
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-10-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Simple Gym Solution(s)

I go to the U of M gym, as an alumni. It is a fantastic gym, given a lot of money was put into it, in alignment with the new Stadium that was built across the street. Both sites are top notch in terms of quality/technology/usefulness.

Regardless, I have written before about the importance of the sauna, for me and seemingly many of the older dudes that frequent the gym. It's healthy for you (as long as you don't stay in too long), it feels great after a work out, and it is a fabulous place to chat about all the issues of the world!

But bad news....almost 2 months ago, during maintenance, they found a significant problem in the sauna. It has been down ever since, and apparently a design is still being put together to fix the place. Some of us have voiced our opinions, and have been provided some discount on our memberships as a result. But we actually care more about the sauna itself. And yes, the lack of speed to resolve.

So....I have not visited the gym as much. I have some weights at my disposal in the condo, and my own. No comparison with the gym.

Here's the thing.....I always go back to basics for exercise, if I do not have access to all the equipment. Push ups, planks. some curls (using my few weights), and whatever cardio works for me. For anyone....run, walk, swim, ride a bike, row....just get some in. I like doing stairs in the condo, walking the dog...that easy stuff.

And if I do these things fairly regularly, they are not going to make me a superman type, but they can keep things in balance. Luckily I can still go to the gym, but when it's -30, and blowing, and no sauna to visit, the old tricks are still the same tricks. minus the car ride and the parking.

When I was younger and more active, I would not only go to the gym, but play sports all the time, and yes, work out at home while watching tv. I actually ran on the spot or around my place, but also the same things I still do....push ups, sit ups (back then), curls - if I could find a hanging object to reach up to.

So....not as effective maybe, but much cheaper, and right here at home. The basics. They still work. It's plan B, but I find it handy, at home or on the road.

(dang....gotta send another email for a sauna progress report!!)

Active Probiotics

I just had a small yogurt, containing 1 billion active probiotics (per the container info). I am putting in a complaint. I only counted 978,653,211.

how long did it take to count?

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    how long did it take to count?
    You know, the usual amount of time for such an inventory.

Sure hope I kept the receipt!

did you happen to count the inactive ones too? or the what about the active/inactive negativebiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    did you happen to count the inactive ones too? or the what about the active/inactive negativebiotics?
    Cmon AE. I know how to conduct my scientific studies! Although I'll admit, I had to push a few thousand inactive ones to get moving again!

And yeah....stay away from those negative ones!

Tonight when we pick up some groceries, I am going to sneak by the yogurt section, and find out where the party is. I can picture billions and billions of them all in one container. That's the one I am buying!

The "Anything Goes" Thread

I thought I'd start a thread that might work, using the perfect name of this forum. If the mods want me to change it, out of respect for the forum itself, I'd go with "Observations Of Everyday Folks". Don't get me wrong, but I prefer the title I chose initially, because it seems to describe what I am trying to promote in this thread.

~~~~~~~

Here's the premise. This thread is for anyone to throw down observations they make, whether they be of interest, humour, "what the heck is that about??", or anything that can be neatly scribed in a fairly short space, and hopefully add the tiniest sliver of value for other members, as they drop by. This is not necessarily about responding to one another's observations, but it is definitely not off limits....which is basically saying, you are always welcome to respond to one another, in this valuable MB.

~~~~~~~~

So here's my first.....

How is it that folks that go to work out at the gym are often seen driving around in circles, trying to find a slightly closer parking spot???

I am never surprised that the same dude who spends $50,000 or more on a vehicle, is the same person who will make a fuss over a small tip.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am never surprised that the same dude who spends $50,000 or more on a vehicle, is the same person who will make a fuss over a small tip.
    I used to be in a group where we hunted for forclosure deals. (with some but not great success).
    Anyway, we would walk up to a door where the owner is about to have his 200-250k house was about to go into forclosure.
    But....you look outside the house and they have a cherried out almost new truck probably worth 60 k in the driveway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    I used to be in a group where we hunted for forclosure deals. (with some but not great success).
    Anyway, we would walk up to a door where the owner is about to have his 200-250k house was about to go into forclosure.
    But....you look outside the house and they have a cherried out almost new truck probably worth 60 k in the driveway. lol
    Yesss.

Here's a related one:

People sell their place for tons of money, and have little trouble taking the money, but have little respect cleaning up for the new owners.

Dbacks are often great players, but there's a reason many of them are not on O....

Just my observation, and reawoken by Dizz's thread, but are Poodles gradually taking over the world? It seems that if you are not some sort of "oodle", you are not trending upward!