Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Sorry D - I hate to hear of loss. It's a painful cycle of life...you have my sincere condolences.
    Thank you Greg! I felt a need to share the circumstance, because the aspect of loss is so difficult, and hard to compare to anything else. My Brother-In-Law is a great man, and his time is near. But the family support is amazing, as is the hospital staff! So he will leave with the dignity he deserves. I write this now, as we will be leaving again in a couple of hours to see him. To be there, whether or not he knows. But I have learned that you should never assume the person is unaware. When my Mother passed, the nurse told me to talk to her, even though she was in a coma like state. it can be a comfort to the person. So, never let that moment pass without saying something.

If I may add....some of the most beautiful moments in life, may come about just before a person leaves us. My Mother again...she had been in that state for nearly a couple of weeks. We wondered if she was ok, hopefully with no pain. Then late one night she opened her eyes, and smiled at us, and within a few seconds she drifted away again. That moment was an invaluable one. It changed everything. We knew she was ok, and that she was happy to see us. To my knowledge, she did not awaken that way again. Had we not been there in those 10-15 seconds, we would never have known.

It was a beautiful thing.

I have observed that I am almost lost without lists. I used them extensively in my career, and still need to use them, to get things organized, and DONE! I find that when I float around without some guidance, I tend not to accomplish as much, and feel a bit disorganized.

Plus I get some satisfaction as I cross things off.

Funny thing, but at work I used to have lists that were getting very long indeed! And each day I would add some more. Sure, I had some planning processes that I used, sort of project management oriented, and I had timelines in place.....but I still kept a list close at hand. That scrap of paper was a faithful friend (that kept me very busy!), and yes, security blanket!

Do you ever put too many eggs in one basket? There are situations when folks put too much of their time, money and effort into one or maybe two endeavours. Sadly, but sometimes those things go south, and when they do, you wonder what other things could have been pursued, and with good, and more meaningful results. Unfortunately, there is nothing to show for some initiatives. Just lost time, and lost opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Do you ever put too many eggs in one basket? There are situations when folks put too much of their time, money and effort into one or maybe two endeavours. Sadly, but sometimes those things go south, and when they do, you wonder what other things could have been pursued, and with good, and more meaningful results. Unfortunately, there is nothing to show for some initiatives. Just lost time, and lost opportunity.
    Indeed Can.

We tend to say, "if only I had this, or that" and that would be all that we ask for. Somehow I don't think it typically works that way. Because if we got that one thing, I sense that, given time, we would slide over to near where we were before. I believe that there is almost never a "if I had this" (except for some of course)….because our tendency is to rebalance, and then be who we are. And still want other things, and possibly even forget most of what we were hoping for in the first place.

I think the infamous lottery win is exciting to consider, but in that case, seems like folks sometimes change, and not for the better.

It's cool to be hopeful, and it's not selfish to want certain positive changes in one's life....especially if you have worked for it. But I am not sure, outside of a few exceptions, that we are good at "if only I had this" outcomes.

I have noticed that sometimes when I dig my hands into pockets of jackets, especially older ones, I come up with some prize....usually one or two tums, or maybe an advil, often a receipt...and yes, occasionally some cash!

Funny how invigorating it is to find a buck or two, here or there! Sometimes even a bigger chunk of cash. Same goes for drawers I have not opened for seems like years, old gym bags, etc. Not a bad idea to do a little hunt through your goods, just to see what you may come up with it. The odds are small, but there might be something that you should have found sooner.

It's not like you actually gained some money...but it feels like it!
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.

For me, going to the dentist is akin to taking a car in for maintenance, or doing a renovation. They always tell me something that I don't want to hear about!

As a long-time visitor to the USA, I must ask this question - before CDs completely disappear... why, in the name of anything good, does the USA shrink-wrap new CDs with the tightest, hardest-to-remove, plastic known to mankind? Now to the real crux of the matter with American CDs.... the white sticky strip along the top of each CD, printed with the artist and album title.... ‘peel here’ it says at one corner. Oh yeah, sure thing. You get a fingernail under the corner, and a tiny sliver breaks off. Then you try to pick it again, and it just won’t play ball. Another tiny wee piece breaks off.... An hour later.... you get into the CD case and there’s still bits of white plastic stuck on the top edge of the case, you’ve snapped the damn thing in two in a fit of anger....

America. I love you, but by God, what were you thinking!? 😀

Quote Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
    As a long-time visitor to the USA, I must ask this question - before CDs completely disappear... why, in the name of anything good, does the USA shrink-wrap new CDs with the tightest, hardest-to-remove, plastic known to mankind? Now to the real crux of the matter with American CDs.... the white sticky strip along the top of each CD, printed with the artist and album title.... ‘peel here’ it says at one corner. Oh yeah, sure thing. You get a fingernail under the corner, and a tiny sliver breaks off. Then you try to pick it again, and it just won’t play ball. Another tiny wee piece breaks off.... An hour later.... you get into the CD case and there’s still bits of white plastic stuck on the top edge of the case, you’ve snapped the damn thing in two in a fit of anger....

America. I love you, but by God, what were you thinking!? ��
    hey poz!

Having a really good, high paying job is wonderful. People usually earn that position. But being really good at the job that suits you (even though lower in status), is just as wonderful.

Here are 10 miscellaneous "facts" in no particular order as I see them:

The Beatles are the best band ever

A cold beer on a hot day is a worthwhile experience

Apple is always welcome in a dessert
    (But so is chocolate!!)

Babe Ruth was the best home run hitter ever, because he hit way more home runs than anyone in his era

Nature is probably the cheapest cool thing there is!

Bobby Orr was the best hockey player ever....changed the game, could skate, stickhandle, shoot, and be physical

A great day is when my wife and kids are all happy (this is my #1)

I love having four seasons, but autumn is something else!

Not even sure how my life would be without sports

Not asking for too much, but peace of mind is always near the top

(that's a ten pointer for now...maybe more to come in future)

^^^I left out coffee, because that would be a given (and I just remembered)!

Haha....

I have sometimes offered this advice to my daughters: If you have a choice between a nice guy and a nice guy with a good career and financial smarts, go with the guy with the money. Nothing wrong with a nice guy with some cash.. (it's a bonus for picking a nice guy)

Based on the amount of fluff in the dryer filter, it's only a matter of time before all our clothes, towels, etc., disappear.

Living in a condo with lots of "not young" folks can be difficult. I like to think I wash our vehicles regularly, but these dudes are crazy that way! It can be dirty outside, and when I look around, most vehicles are perfectly clean. Yes, there is a small carwash, but cmon, I can't keep up with them!!