Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    So far this season McManus is 18-22 on FG's 81.9% and 14-15 on XP's 93.3%

The first FG missed was @OAK, a 64 yd attempt at the end of the Broncos' scoreless first half (his career long is 57).
    The second miss was @LAC, a 54 yd attempt in the 3rd quarter of a game we won anyway.
    The third miss was vs. KC, a 45 yd attempt in the 2nd quarter of a blowout loss where everything else went wrong too.

The missed extra point was @GB

The missed 43 yd FG @MIN was really the only one that made a significant difference to the outcome.

McManus is ranked 14th in FG% among place kickers and 20th in XP%, so roughly average right now.
    Last edited by L.M.; 11-19-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Colby Wadman is currently ranked 25th in the League with a 43.7 yd average (38.3 yd net average).

Broncos Special Teams ranking at Football Outsiders is #31 (#32 last week). Colby is a major reason for this low ranking as punting is -9.8, dead last.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Colby Wadman is currently ranked 25th in the League with a 43.7 yd average (38.3 yd net average).

Broncos Special Teams ranking at Football Outsiders is #31 (#32 last week). Colby is a major reason for this low ranking as punting is -9.8, dead last.
    Sept. 10, 2006, Den@StL 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, Den@K.C. 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, Den@Stl 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    For his Career, McManus has made 80.7% of his field goals, the exact same % as Jason Elam. For comparison, Matt Prater has made 84% of kicks over his career.

The problem isn't the misses, all kickers miss, it's when the misses happen for McManus, they always seem come at the worst part of the game, when the pressure is on and he has to make it. He's a decent kicker, though he's not clutch whatsoever.
    In other words....he's a waste. Kickers are paid to make field goals, that simple. If he can't make the clutch kick, what good is he.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    So far this season McManus is 18-22 on FG's 81.9% and 14-15 on XP's 93.3%

The first FG missed was @OAK, a 64 yd attempt at the end of the Broncos' scoreless first half (his career long is 57).
    The second miss was @LAC, a 54 yd attempt in the 3rd quarter of a game we won anyway.
    The third miss was vs. KC, a 45 yd attempt in the 2nd quarter of a blowout loss where everything else went wrong too.

The missed extra point was @GB

The missed 43 yd FG @MIN was really the only one that made a significant difference to the outcome.

McManus is ranked 14th in FG% among place kickers and 20th in XP%, so roughly average right now.
    That's just the stats on paper. Doesn't show how, and when in the game, they occur. A big kick can change the game around. Just like a missed extra point (as in the GB game) can deflate momentum. An average kicker that cannot make the clutch kick is a kicker that should be on the streets, especially one paid as well as McManus.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    That's just the stats on paper. Doesn't show how, and when in the game, they occur. A big kick can change the game around. Just like a missed extra point (as in the GB game) can deflate momentum. An average kicker that cannot make the clutch kick is a kicker that should be on the streets, especially one paid as well as McManus.
    I didn't just post stats, I described when those other kicks occurred, and a missed XP is not a momentum-shifting event, IMO. A TD was still scored, the offense is off the field, and the other units are up next. I don't think they're coming in feeling deflated and cursed from a mere missed XP. In fact, the D forced a 3&out and a punt right after that --so much for that notion.

So far, his miss in the Minn game is the only serious error with game-altering ramifications. The kick against OAK was considerably beyond his range of accuracy and shouldn't have been attempted in the first place, the miss at LAC was near his max and didn't lose us the game, and nothing was going to save us from the meltdown vs. KC at the hands of Flacco and the OL.

The fact is, he makes most of his kicks. 81.9% of them. If he misses substantially more and drops below average, then they should cut him, but finding a great kicker is no small task and we already have higher priorities on the shopping list. Punter should be on it for sure though.
    Last edited by L.M.; 11-20-2019 at 11:06 AM.

In other words....he's a waste. Kickers are paid to make field goals, that simple. If he can't make the clutch kick, what good is he.
    All of the team's positions are paid, and all of them make errors or come up short from time to time. You're not going to get perfection out of this or any other position.

True, but other positions have many roles and are on the field a hell of a lot more than a K. CHJ has been burned at CB on occasion, but overall, he is a solid CB and has made his share of exceptional plays. When you are paid to simply kick, you need to do that.

It isnít so much about his percentages, itís the fact that historically he has struggled in the 40-49 yard range and 50 and out I believe heís about average. His mechanics in that 40-49 yard line are the same mechanics he uses for the 50 and over kicks which shows heís not confident in his leg. The further out you are you generally see kickers shorten their distance to get the ball up quicker to compensate for the lower trajectory. But the area heís really struggled is an area where he can still use the same mechanics as he does on shorter kicks and be more accurate but for whatever reason he doesnít. When heís further out thereís a better chance of it curving back in between the posts but when heís 45 yards out that curve usually comes way too late.

He also does it in the far ends of the hash so heís effectively shortening the amount of time he has to judge where he needs to put his foot. And then he loses himself before the follow through which is vital to where the ball is going to go and with the shortened run up he canít rotate his hips the same way on his follow through which either results in him not rotating enough and pushing it right or overcompensating and pulling it left.

Can we do worse? Absolutely. Is he money 40 and under? Heís only missed 4 his entire career out of 88. Outside of 40, itís a coin toss, missing 27 of his 73, 10 from 40-49 and 17 from 50 and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    For his Career, McManus has made 80.7% of his field goals, the exact same % as Jason Elam. For comparison, Matt Prater has made 84% of kicks over his career.

The problem isn't the misses, all kickers miss, it's when the misses happen for McManus, they always seem come at the worst part of the game, when the pressure is on and he has to make it. He's a decent kicker, though he's not clutch whatsoever.
    Bingo ...........exactly. And Wadman has the same problem ............ although it's almost hard to suss out because he also makes bad punts when there's no pressure too
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

True, but other positions have many roles and are on the field a hell of a lot more than a K. CHJ has been burned at CB on occasion, but overall, he is a solid CB and has made his share of exceptional plays. When you are paid to simply kick, you need to do that.
    If by on occasion you mean repeatedly the last 2 years I would fully agree with you. He's not a true number 1 corner, and him covering the number 1 receiver has exposed that.

As for the McManus and blame thing, I don't see the point in blaming any one thing, there are always 50+ reasons why you lose a football game, a missed FG is just one of them. That moment was certainly more high profile than others but, it's about the same as far as reasons why Denver lost.

I remember Baltimore having issues with their kicker ............. missed kicks that either knocked them out of the playoffs or kept them out. That's when they were sick of it and drafted that opera singer. ......they no longer worry about their kicker...........ESPECIALLY in clutch situations. Get it done Broncos ........find someone you can count on
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I thought he would make a good Raider, but can we haz Rodrigo Blankenship?

What's frustrating to me is in 2014/2015 his kicking form was amazing and consistent. Then he signs a new contract and the consistency in his approach and strike location is gone. I'm wondering if some coach tried to fix what wasn't broken or if he's just become lazy in his craft.

I'm talking purely from a kicking technique standpoint, not necessarily accuracy.
    Last edited by jdhdiggs; 11-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

I can live with McManus this year if we try to better the position next year

but I think we should seriously be looking at replacing wadman now...10 games, 5 at how in the thin air of Denver and hes ranked the 25th punter...there is much room to improve

surely im not the only one tired of seeing us stop a team behind their 10, and their punter booms a 60 yarder and a team stops our offense near the goal line and wadman booms a 30 yarder
    Last edited by arapaho; 11-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.