Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I've never heard of that discussion, maybe when Champ was at his peak. They have had that same talk of other CBs such as darelle Revis when they are at their prime but when the career is over, they go back and look at things without the current playing bias. I would have a hard time taking any of the CBs off that list. If I did, it would probably be Darrell Green.

Not sure what you mean by " a bunch of older guys"... some of those "older guys" were so good, they had to change the rules because of them.
    For a start its impossible to compare different eras but how many of the 100 roster played a down in the last 20 years ? Not many. Yet it has produced some of the best players of all time but nostalgia and wanting to put guys who played before the 50's in won the day as per usual.

Take the RB's for example. You can't say with a straight face that Motley, Van Burren, or Lenny Moore was a better RB then LT. Even the slightly more recent Gale Sayers was not at the calibre of Tomlinson. His omission is ridiculous.

No Warren Sapp at DT was a surprise. One of the most dominant DT's ever who racked up crazy stats during his 13 year career.

At guard no Hutchinson, Faneca, or the biggest omission in Will Shields.

At QB how is Roger Staubach ahead of Drew Brees, thats ridiculous.

Champ had a 13 year career, he was regarded as the best corner in the league for pretty much all of that and even in his 30's was ranked top 2 or 3. He played at the start of the 'passing' era where it got harder for defenders yet he still dominated year after year. He had speed, ball skills, and was a fantastic tackler. For Bailey not to be on that list is crazy.

They have obviously tried to spread it out and pick a certain amount of players from all eras, which is fine, but it doesn't truly reflect the best players ever.

I didn't bother watching it because we get snubbed for the hall of fame so I knew we would get maybe champ elway and Manning. When Champ was snubbed I quit monitoring it all together

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    For a start its impossible to compare different eras but how many of the 100 roster played a down in the last 20 years ? Not many. Yet it has produced some of the best players of all time but nostalgia and wanting to put guys who played before the 50's in won the day as per usual.

Take the RB's for example. You can't say with a straight face that Motley, Van Burren, or Lenny Moore was a better RB then LT. Even the slightly more recent Gale Sayers was not at the calibre of Tomlinson. His omission is ridiculous.

No Warren Sapp at DT was a surprise. One of the most dominant DT's ever who racked up crazy stats during his 13 year career.

At guard no Hutchinson, Faneca, or the biggest omission in Will Shields.

At QB how is Roger Staubach ahead of Drew Brees, thats ridiculous.

Champ had a 13 year career, he was regarded as the best corner in the league for pretty much all of that and even in his 30's was ranked top 2 or 3. He played at the start of the 'passing' era where it got harder for defenders yet he still dominated year after year. He had speed, ball skills, and was a fantastic tackler. For Bailey not to be on that list is crazy.

They have obviously tried to spread it out and pick a certain amount of players from all eras, which is fine, but it doesn't truly reflect the best players ever.
    I would argue the opposite as well, we suffer from a massive recency bias now, because we see everything dozens of times each week. And with the internet and the all sports stations and the need to create content we're treated to weekly opinion shows where they always talk about everything from week to week as the greatest or worst things that ever happened. When in reality a lot of these bests and worsts will be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hate to admit it was during my time!!!

When I was growing up, Sayers was legendary, while he played. He was so amazing! But his stats do not compare with many in recent decades. It's so hard to compare though, and I always say that it is difficult to compare players from different eras. Things change. But one thing that doesn't change, is "how good were they compared to their peers"? To which I would say Sayers was clearly a star in his time. He ran so smoothly and effortlessly.

Hey, top 100s and such are not easy to compile, and often turn off folks, because of those chosen and omissions. I've never heard of such a poll that makes everyone happy.

I am glad that Sayers made it, but who's to say? The defining elements may not be clear to us all.
    The easiest way to describe Sayers is to say he was Barry Sanders before Barry Sanders. He was incredible before he shredded his knee (torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus) in 1968 and then he came back with a completely new running style and grinded out 1000 yards. Itís a shame that he only got to play 3 seasons before injuries turned him into a shell of his former self because he was absolutely incredible

Champ lost out to corners based on KR and PR duties not CB play. If you contribute on ST a ton, that really does deserve to be recognized too. I believe Champ should have made it, but understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I just checked out the roster, some strange choices. It looks like they just wanted to stick a ton of older guys on there in place of some far better players.

The thing that really stood out to me........ did I actually read it right and Champ Bailey was NOT on the list ???? The Champ Bailey that dominated for over 10 years and the general discussion around the NFL has always been who is the best CB of all time, Sanders or Bailey.

If I read that correctly and Bailey did not make the cut then it instantly loses any credibility.
    Sanders was far better than Bailey... The only thing bailey had that stood out over Deion was his tackling, beyond that I wouldn't take two bailey's over 1 deion. No one was better at the CB craft in his time or maybe ever Bailey had two or three memorable years, and had certain players that ate his lunch any time the played most notably was that scrub receiver jerry porter from the raiders, Deion didn't have a guy that consistently burnt him any time they played each other and he locked down guys like rice, rison, and too many more to name, and he did it for like 15 years or more. he was dominant from year one up until the very end. Woodson was better for longer as well. not only was he one of the best corners in teh game when he played then he moved to safety and killed it there for a few seasons as well.
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duhyaj View Post
    Sanders was far better than Bailey... The only thing bailey had that stood out over Deion was his tackling, beyond that I wouldn't take two bailey's over 1 deion. No one was better at the CB craft in his time or maybe ever Bailey had two or three memorable years, and had certain players that ate his lunch any time the played most notably was that scrub receiver jerry porter from the raiders, Deion didn't have a guy that consistently burnt him any time they played each other and he locked down guys like rice, rison, and too many more to name, and he did it for like 15 years or more. he was dominant from year one up until the very end. Woodson was better for longer as well. not only was he one of the best corners in teh game when he played then he moved to safety and killed it there for a few seasons as well.
    2 or 3 years of top play ? Right.........................

Quote Originally Posted by duhyaj View Post
    Sanders played 14 seasons. During that time he had 53 interceptions and 255 solo tackles. He was known for avoiding contact which was apparent watching him play. Bailey played 15 seasons with 52 interceptions and 812 solo tackles. Champ had nearly four times the solo tackles, separating well beyond Sanders. Sanders best season with interceptions (7) was second to Champís second best season (8) and well short of his best season (10). On the solo tackling alone Bailey was by far the better defender.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 01-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.