Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Here's what I don't get... 7 corners, 6 safeties, 2 kickers, 2 punters, and count 'em, 12 running backs

There's your reason why players like Champ Bailey and Troy Polamalu didn't get in, but some kicker, punter, and just about everybody who looked cool running a football will.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    What was so amazing about his play? His all purpose yards are due to his return yards. He has 2781 return yards in 5 seasons. Being a great returner doesn't make you a great RB. There are just so many great RBs in the history of the league, I don't see sayers as being in the top 12.

IMO, without the "Brian's Song" story, Gale Sayers wouldn't be the name he is now. It could be argued that Leroy Kelly was the better back during that time and I bet most people don't even know who that is.

Off the top of my head, LT, TD, Marcus Allen, Faulk all belong on this list long before Gale Sayers does
    Did you see Sayers play? If not, you will not appreciate how outstanding he was.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Did you see Sayers play? If not, you will not appreciate how outstanding he was.
    nope, a little before my time.

There is still time to make it right and put in Drew Lock.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Hate to admit it was during my time!!!

When I was growing up, Sayers was legendary, while he played. He was so amazing! But his stats do not compare with many in recent decades. It's so hard to compare though, and I always say that it is difficult to compare players from different eras. Things change. But one thing that doesn't change, is "how good were they compared to their peers"? To which I would say Sayers was clearly a star in his time. He ran so smoothly and effortlessly.

Hey, top 100s and such are not easy to compile, and often turn off folks, because of those chosen and omissions. I've never heard of such a poll that makes everyone happy.

I am glad that Sayers made it, but who's to say? The defining elements may not be clear to us all.

Thanks for being cool about my comment!

Bronco greats continue to get less than zero respect for this all time team. I thought Shannon sharpe was a shoo in. At this rate I bet the people who made this list would put Lamar Jackson or Mahomes on the QB roster ahead of Elway.

Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL...we get no respect.

I was paying attention to the list up until the point they left Shannon Sharpe off .... I didn't think much of who they chose for TE, aside from Sharpe who I thought was given for that list, I also thought non-Broncos Gates and maybe Witten belonged on the list .... Although it really makes no difference to me that they left anyone off other than Sharpe.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

Well at least we got 2 QBs in the NFL Top 100 - Elway and Manning. Both completely deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I was paying attention to the list up until the point they left Shannon Sharpe off .... I didn't think much of who they chose for TE, aside from Sharpe who I thought was given for that list, I also thought non-Broncos Gates and maybe Witten belonged on the list .... Although it really makes no difference to me that they left anyone off other than Sharpe.
    I agree. To me they included two players with not only inferior stats but also zero Sbs. Shannon also had a run with two different clubs.

The other thing which I was pissed about was that they seemingly forgot that Tony was a TE and not a WR. I am not sure Tony when he was playing could block a HS player...it is almost like they heaped praise on Gronk because he could do both and do both at an all world level but then gave Tony G a pass for being one dimensional.

I just checked out the roster, some strange choices. It looks like they just wanted to stick a ton of older guys on there in place of some far better players.

The thing that really stood out to me........ did I actually read it right and Champ Bailey was NOT on the list ???? The Champ Bailey that dominated for over 10 years and the general discussion around the NFL has always been who is the best CB of all time, Sanders or Bailey.

If I read that correctly and Bailey did not make the cut then it instantly loses any credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I just checked out the roster, some strange choices. It looks like they just wanted to stick a ton of older guys on there in place of some far better players.

The thing that really stood out to me........ did I actually read it right and Champ Bailey was NOT on the list ???? The Champ Bailey that dominated for over 10 years and the general discussion around the NFL has always been who is the best CB of all time, Sanders or Bailey.

If I read that correctly and Bailey did not make the cut then it instantly loses any credibility.
    I agree but looking at the list it seems like they went for longevity not just talent. And Bailey struggled a good bit with injuries down the final stretch of his career. Only thing I can think of. Cuz Rod Woodson was in no shape or form better than Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I agree but looking at the list it seems like they went for longevity not just talent. And Bailey struggled a good bit with injuries down the final stretch of his career. Only thing I can think of. Cuz Rod Woodson was in no shape or form better than Champ.
    at worst, they are about equal. Rod was a beast of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post

I've never heard of that discussion, maybe when Champ was at his peak. They have had that same talk of other CBs such as darelle Revis when they are at their prime but when the career is over, they go back and look at things without the current playing bias. I would have a hard time taking any of the CBs off that list. If I did, it would probably be Darrell Green.

Not sure what you mean by " a bunch of older guys"... some of those "older guys" were so good, they had to change the rules because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Here's what I don't get... 7 corners, 6 safeties, 2 kickers, 2 punters, and count 'em, 12 running backs

There's your reason why players like Champ Bailey and Troy Polamalu didn't get in, but some kicker, punter, and just about everybody who looked cool running a football will.
    I agree

When it is all said and done imo the number of LB+S+CB should equal the number of RB+TE+QB+WR
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)