Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Offensive Coordinator

I'm a open this up and see your opinions. I know it would not be ideal to let an OC go after one season, but the offense has had 3 different QBs and has continued to be underwhelming all season long. There seems to be no signs of hope with the offense going forward and can hinder Lockís development. That being said, he is a 1st time NFL OC and first time play caller in the NFL. One year would not be a good look to let him go after one year and also has had multiple different OCs over the years. Maybe he develops into a great offensive mind still after a year under his belt and self evaluation in the offseason.

However, if the Giants were to let go of Pat Shurmur (or another big named OC for that matter) this offseason would he be worth letting Scangs go and hire him as a proven OC to be the OC? Shurmur and Munchack would be a heck of a OC/OL coach duo.

Or do you just stick with Scangs for another season because it is his first year.

Thoughts?
    Follow me on Twitter
    @gmoney8150 Personal account

My Broncos account @All_DenBroncos

^^^Follow^^^

Very good question. Everyone makes mistakes (duh) itís how you bounce back & adjust that matters. I donít see a guy thatís learning or making the right adjustments. After 5 consecutive 3 & outs last week I was expecting a big turnaround this week. Not. If he finishes the season (showing zero improvement) in the same fashion, Iíd let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by 98-O-Line View Post
    Very good question. Everyone makes mistakes (duh) itís how you bounce back & adjust that matters. I donít see a guy thatís learning or making the right adjustments. After 5 consecutive 3 & outs last week I was expecting a big turnaround this week. Not. If he finishes the season (showing zero improvement) in the same fashion, Iíd let him walk.
    Yeah that's the thing too. Even during the beginning of the season I've given him some slack because he's a first timer. From then until now though with just 4 games left I haven't seen any improvement. He does good with the play script to start games, but when he gets off script and has to adjust it gets sloppy.

But now if a guy like Shurmur becomes available it is definitely worth looking into and assessing the situation. Fangioís job is on the line and if he can't trust Scangs then he will have to make the move for someone he can trust on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush_304 View Post
    Yeah that's the thing too. Even during the beginning of the season I've given him some slack because he's a first timer. From then until now though with just 4 games left I haven't seen any improvement. He does good with the play script to start games, but when he gets off script and has to adjust it gets sloppy.

But now if a guy like Shurmur becomes available it is definitely worth looking into and assessing the situation. Fangioís job is on the line and if he can't trust Scangs then he will have to make the move for someone he can trust on that side of the ball.
    Fangio's job is most definitely not on the line.

If we were coming out flat and staying flat the entire game I would most definitely blame the lack of talent and Elway's mismanagement of draft picks and free agency (which is still a huge problem, by the way) for not being able to move the ball. This team consistently comes out and scores points in the first quarter showing they have the potential to move the ball against anyone, and then gets shut down for the second half of EVERY game. That points 100% to coaching. It's not just the offense either, defense starts playing scared to lose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylan View Post
    If we were coming out flat and staying flat the entire game I would most definitely blame the lack of talent and Elway's mismanagement of draft picks and free agency (which is still a huge problem, by the way) for not being able to move the ball. This team consistently comes out and scores points in the first quarter showing they have the potential to move the ball against anyone, and then gets shut down for the second half of EVERY game. That points 100% to coaching. It's not just the offense either, defense starts playing scared to lose as well.
    While I agree with the issues related to Scangerello, itís not all on coaching. Hamiltonís drop wasnít related to play calling. Patrick had a pass go through his hands, again not an issue with play calling. Fant didnít locate the ball on one of his routes - not sure if that was a catchable pass by Lock since I havenít gone back to watch the play. Outside of Sutton and Lindsay, other guys arenít making enough plays.

Given that itís Elway who will be making the decision, do we really think a change will be made unless itís to someone who runs a version of the west coast offense?
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Fangio's job is most definitely not on the line.
    If the offense doesn't produce for another 2 years and results in losses it will be on the line. That's where I'm getting at with this question does he hire a proven OC now with maybe not a chance in doing so next year or year after? Or stick with Scangs risking it for next year in hopes the offense produces more than 15 pts a game because it is his first season.

While I agree with the issues related to Scangerello, it’s not all on coaching. Hamilton’s drop wasn’t related to play calling. Patrick had a pass go through his hands, again not an issue with play calling. Fant didn’t locate the ball on one of his routes - not sure if that was a catchable pass by Lock since I haven’t gone back to watch the play. Outside of Sutton and Lindsay, other guys aren’t making enough plays.
    Sure, if it was just this game I'd agree it wasn't all on coaching. But the team moves the ball and puts points up in the first half every week and then gets completely shut down for the second half. That tells me the opposing teams are making adjustments and our coaching staff doesn't know how to counter them.

edit: woops quoted myself like a dummy
    Last edited by Skylan; 12-02-2019 at 07:53 AM.

I've not been impressed with our OC at all. We constantly go super conservative and take the foot off the gas .

I say Performance speaks volume and right now Denver's OC Rich Scags Needs To Be Fired. Rich has done nothing to show for his Body Of Work Zero. How many times in the 2nd Half has this Team been Outperformed on Offense? What did Denver Have in the 2nd Half Vs Minn and What Did Denver have vs The Chargers in the 2nd Half? 30 Yards ?? Pathetic and Rich Has To Go !!

Scangs just doesnít seem to have much sense for rhythm. Things get especially clunky in the second half. He strikes me as an OC whoís kind of trying to outsmart himself at times.

As far as firing him, Iím a bit torn. On one hand, I think the coaching carousel needs to get under control. On the other hand, Fangio could set his own president here and take it upon himself to let him go.

I wouldnít mind seeing less of a ďyes manĒ approach from the HC. I kind of think Fangio could take some initiative and end up looking better for it. Depending on who he could get as an OC, of course. Iím not so sure this is viewed as a hot spot for proven OCs.

I dunno. Iím pretty torn. I guess at this point Iím just hoping he and Lock can build some chemistry. Fingers crossed.

I was giving Scangarello the benefit of the doubt for being new and for having poor potentials at QB (Flacco, Allen) to work with.

I like what I saw from Lock and think he has all the potential in the world so the benefit of doubt only goes as far as the remaining 4 games of the season. If Scangarello still shows no improvement in these final games with what appears to be a much better QB to work with, then I'm all for letting him go. And if that were the case then I'd see if Kubiak would be open to coming back now that we 'hopefully' have a QB that you can open the full playbook for and build around.

But I'm still hoping for Scangarello to improve so no change is needed.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Scangs just doesn’t seem to have much sense for rhythm. Things get especially clunky in the second half. He strikes me as an OC who’s kind of trying to outsmart himself at times.

As far as firing him, I’m a bit torn. On one hand, I think the coaching carousel needs to get under control. On the other hand, Fangio could set his own president here and take it upon himself to let him go.

I wouldn’t mind seeing less of a “yes man” approach from the HC. I kind of think Fangio could take some initiative and end up looking better for it. Depending on who he could get as an OC, of course. I’m not so sure this is viewed as a hot spot for proven OCs.

I dunno. I’m pretty torn. I guess at this point I’m just hoping he and Lock can build some chemistry. Fingers crossed.
    I'm there with you. Yesterday in the 2nd half it seemed like he was calling plays to run out the clock instead of keeping the rhythm of the game rolling. I don't know if it's because of the rookie QB and not having established trust yet, or that he thought that was the best strategy. I just don't want Lock's development to hinge on solely on Scangarello and his playcalling. Because yesterday it seemed like he put a big stop sign in front of him during the 2nd half.

First time OCs need a veteran QB to coach so they can grow and learn into calling plays. Rookie OCs and rookie QBs hinder both involved.