Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukes88 View Post
    This is exactly true. If all the OC, QB, OL FA, etc and year after year of bad draft (until very recently) arenít enough. Being this bad since SB50 puts us there. Lock is no guarantee, just finally a positive sign. Our drafted RB is below average - Sutton, Chubb(canít miss this high) and this yearís group are about all we have.
    Itís fair to give credit to Elway for signing Manning, building the defense and hiring Kubiak/Phillips. Elway should receive credit for SB50. At the same time many fans tend to isolate that success while conveniently making excuses for Elway on whatís happened since 2015. Trending in a positive direction is good, and it has to be backed up with success moving forward. Scangarello wasnít fully qualified for the job and it showed. I think he showed some success late in the season, calling plays favorable to Lockís strengths. Hopefully theyíll get the next hire right and finally build continuity with the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    No what I'm saying is that when you lose your coach of the future, after two straight good hires(yes Fox was good he was exactly what the team needed at the time) he got one wrong. No one is perfect, and he moved on from his mistake and appears to have righted the ship.
    I disagree. How did he fully learn from the mistake? While Fangio seems to have been a good hire, Elway was fully involved with hiring Scangarello. Scangarello had a very light resume and thatís being generous. Just like the VJ hire he went with an OC without experience. One would think he would have wanted experience at OC with a first time defensive head coach. Now here we are hiring another OC. So no, I donít think Elway fully learned his lesson.

Pat Schumer is a name making the rounds for OC.

Broncos and Bears eyeing Pat Shurmur for OC

But, but but, he knew Kyle Shanahan When you hire unqualified people, what do you expect ? Mediocre results. Let's hope the unqualified quarterback coach he brang along with him is gone too. Anyway, told you all, all season, and now he is gone. We now have an opportunity to get better, good move Fangio.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I disagree. How did he fully learn from the mistake? While Fangio seems to have been a good hire, Elway was fully involved with hiring Scangarello. Scangarello had a very light resume and thatís being generous. Just like the VJ hire he went with an OC without experience. One would think he would have wanted experience at OC with a first time defensive head coach. Now here we are hiring another OC. So no, I donít think Elway fully learned his lesson.
    He took an up and comer, that had called played in college before as well. Let's not forget he was originally blocked by Shannahan and Lynch initially. So he took a gamble with an up and comer, things don't always work out, for any GM. This was also in lock step with Vic, so I'd say things are going the right way, and it appears he has learned as he's not handcuffing the HC.

Watch us sign Jason Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I know that. I just know the risk involved with hiring a guy whose success came in college. To be fair, Scang had no experience calling plays either. But, I feel that unless you're bringing in a guy you absolutely trust, there's no point in firing Scangarello for a couple reasons. The first is that Lock and the team were having some success late in the year, and the second is concern for Lock having to reset again. Shurmer runs a west coast offense, and has a ton of experience. I don't think he's a good head coach, but I'd feel safer with him than Brady as OC. I think he'd be worth firing Scangarello over.
    I agree Shurmur is the safe bet and I think all signs are pointing to him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cardswi...-is-coach/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by sgriffeth78 View Post
    Browns hire Vikingsí OC, putting Kubiakís future in jeopardy. Coincidence?
    A Kubiak will take over as OC with Minn. Either Gary or Klint.

Quote Originally Posted by MHOC View Post
    Watch us sign Jason Garrett
    Delete this please. Lol

Kubiak is dated, his offense hasn't been successful in a long time, and he like Scrangerello refused to alter his offense to suit his players, Manning and Flacco. Plus Kubiak likes to bring his old friends who like him haven't had success in a long time, and that is why we didn't hire him last off-season. All I want is someone with a resume of recent success, and some form of success developing a young quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Kubiak is dated, his offense hasn't been successful in a long time, and he like Scrangerello refused to alter his offense to suit his players, Manning and Flacco. Plus Kubiak likes to bring his old friends who like him haven't had success in a long time, and that is why we didn't hire him last off-season. All I want is someone with a resume of recent success, and some form of success developing a young quarterback.
    Those guys are HCs or not available

Gary Kubiak not ever coming back to Broncos except as Ring of Famer.

Woody Paige

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    He took an up and comer, that had called played in college before as well. Let's not forget he was originally blocked by Shannahan and Lynch initially. So he took a gamble with an up and comer, things don't always work out, for any GM. This was also in lock step with Vic, so I'd say things are going the right way, and it appears he has learned as he's not handcuffing the HC.
    Scangarelloís resume was extremely light, especially when youíre trying to rebuild a team coming off back to back losing seasons. Took a gamble on the OC? I donít believe effective managers gamble on who they hire. For the record the VJ hire wasnít one miss, hiring him was a miss and not firing him was the second. I donít subscribe to Elway being a very good GM after three straight losing seasons, the bad drafts and coaching hires that led to the skid. I wouldnít expect a winning season every year, but you just canít perform that badly over the last three years.

Also, what candidates are run first coordinators ? Guys who place a large emphasis on building a bulky offensive line and running it straight at teams ? With a young quarterback, I want that guy. I like the news about Fangio being displeased with Scrangerello deviating from the script too much, we need an identity, and that needs to be a run heavy team.