Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    After 11 games we have seen consistently aggressive playcalling that puts us in the lead in the first half, and then consistent regression in playcalling that has directly led to losses in the second half. To me Scangarello has to learn to adjust to the defense's adjustments and increase his playbook. I don't think getting rid of Scangarello will help this team, because an offensive overhaul is not what you want for a young team that just learned the scheme.

I am hoping this offseason he spends significant time with Lock to learn what he can and cannot do and tailor the gameplan to him, and subsequently change the base plays to allow more flexibility and less predictability

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    that's true

but here is the first play of every drive by the broncos

run
    run
    run
    run
    run
    run
    pass....at the end of the half we got the ball with .24 seconds left
    run
    pass
    run
    run
    pass...end of game with .9 seconds left

do you see an issue with conservatism and predictable play calling...that will probably carry over his entire career unless his feet are held to the fire
    Yikes. That's brutal when it's put right in front of you like that. Hopefully that's from having a rookie in his first start and it's something that was done purposefully. Because then it can be fixed. I also would like to think that the Broncos staff goes over stats like this and makes adjustments going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    1- you have to get a rhythm, and working with shorter down and distances is really important for ANY QB, let alone a rookie 22 year old in his first start ever.

2- I don't think it was you in particular, but there were A LOT of people getting upset on these boards just a couple weeks ago when he was going 3 throwing plays in a row. Griping about not establishing the run game, etc etc.

It was extremely frustrating to watch the 2nd half because they couldn't get anything going, but the 1st was pretty awesome. Scangs will learn, just as Lock will. I'm telling you, we will literally ruin Lock if we keep switching OCs and systems.

Do you know why QBs like Brady, Manning, and Brees are so legendary? Because they were in the same systems their entire careers (on top of a lot of other factors, obviously). I'd give the OC another season or two to learn, perfect, get Drew to know and understand the system front and back, and also for Scangs to influence the draft and get players that fit the system.
    of those qbs listed only brady has to the most extent had the same Offensive scheme

im not saying he should be...I don't think it would hurt us if he were

but I don't care who is the OC as long as they are not predictable....running on 95% of every first down is PREDICTABLE!!

If the offensive line play was good would we be having this conversation? Its Mikes fault(kidding).
    And I was referring to the conservative play calling with a lead throughout out the season. I just feel like Vic has had an influence on that. By the way im loving Vic, hasent been perfect but good vibes overall.

POs are gone so why not open up the playbook? The coaches need to trust their offense to execute all the plays. Putting a cap on the off. will make it harder to evaluate the talent we have on this team and decide what we will need for the future. Most fans would like to see an exciting game even if were not headed to the post season anyway. Open up the play book and see what were going to need to succeed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylan View Post
    Sure, if it was just this game I'd agree it wasn't all on coaching. But the team moves the ball and puts points up in the first half every week and then gets completely shut down for the second half. That tells me the opposing teams are making adjustments and our coaching staff doesn't know how to counter them.

edit: woops quoted myself like a dummy
    Scangarello will need to show improvement over the remaining games. Elway hired a guy with no experience as the OC and it shows. He was hired after Munchak and some of the offensive coaching staff held over from last season. Scangarello has the offense Elway wants to run but not the experience to adjust when needed. If he doesn’t improve it’s likely we’ll see another OC after this season.

The Issue with Denver’s OC Rich is Actually Really Good Scripting the First 15 Plays However what he does after the 15 Plays is amateurish. I can call better plays than Rich after the 15 lol. What Rich cannot do is Call Plays that are effective after his few plays. When there should be a Pass he calls a TE Sweep LOL. When it should be a Run he will call for a Pass and When he thinks he needs to force feed a Player who is not Really Good like Hamilton he will try it the entire game with the Same Poor Results. When the other Teams Game Plan the Entire Game all Rich can do is Game Plan for only the 1st Half it is like he has no concept on what to do after the 1st Half. Rich’s failure to adapt and Game Plan Better is why I think Denver needs to Fire 🔥 Him.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    The Issue with Denver’s OC Rich is Actually Really Good Scripting the First 15 Plays However what he does after the 15 Plays is amateurish. I can call better plays than Rich after the 15 lol. What Rich cannot do is Call Plays that are effective after his few plays. When there should be a Pass he calls a TE Sweep LOL. When it should be a Run he will call for a Pass and When he thinks he needs to force feed a Player who is not Really Good like Hamilton he will try it the entire game with the Same Poor Results. When the other Teams Game Plan the Entire Game all Rich can do is Game Plan for only the 1st Half it is like he has no concept on what to do after the 1st Half. Rich’s failure to adapt and Game Plan Better is why I think Denver needs to Fire �� Him.
    To be fair, his mentor called a TE sweep to George Kittle this past weekend, with familiar -3 yard results. That's the perfect play call for any team looking to lose 3 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    To be fair, his mentor called a TE sweep to George Kittle this past weekend, with familiar -3 yard results. That's the perfect play call for any team looking to lose 3 yards.
    I think they see some college offenses run the same play with success and think they can do the same thing. It might work once in a while but most NFL defenses can easily diagnose the play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I think they see some college offenses run the same play with success and think they can do the same thing. It might work once in a while but most NFL defenses can easily diagnose the play.
    Not just diagnose, but there's nothing to stress the End, so he's just going to play contain, the MLB is going to read the sweep motion and go to it, the safeties will see that motion and go to it. And TEs aren't fast enough to get outside.

Now if they're running that, or better yet a WR fly sweep, to see which defenders are reacting, and doing so to follow it up with play action where they have another receiver run a replace route right to where that defender was, now they're onto something. But running that play on it's own is stupid. And because of how bad the play is, and how it loses yardage, it's unlikely any defense will react enough to get those open passing windows for the play action.

Not including last Sunday’s game Denver has posted 35 three & outs. Ouch.

Not ready to give up on Scangarello just yet. I think he can grow into becoming one of the best offensive minds in football.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Listing to Evan's and Schlereth on the fan. Schlereth just said he could get at least 15 plays were the players didnt execute; ie catching the ball , getting open and missed assignments. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Listing to Evan's and Schlereth on the fan. Schlereth just said he could get at least 15 plays were the players didnt execute; ie catching the ball , getting open and missed assignments. Food for thought.
    Only 15? Shoot, you could probably find someone messing up on 99% of plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Only 15? Shoot, you could probably find someone messing up on 99% of plays.
    Actually any play that doesn't go for a touchdown means somebody didn't execute perfectly, unless it is a kneel down play.

While I didn't hear Schlereth and Evans I do know that great play calls look awful with poor execution. We left points on the field at least 2 times Sunday because of very poor execution, catching, ball placement and looking for the ball.