The Focus Should Now Shift....To The FO and Coaching

Checked off a big box yesterday, in my opinion. Too early to say for sure, but I saw a young QB that is worth the wait. As far as I can tell, he will be our future. I could elaborate, but lets get over this "insecurity" we have about QBs, though rightly so, because Lock was drafted to be our starter, and with some coaching and mentoring, he will be the guy.

Further....we know pretty much what we have on this this 4 and 8 team. We have some real talent, and some that is young at that, to be the leaders long term. The names are now entrenched....Lindsay, Freeman, Sutton, Risner. Our O is not that far away, if we can make about 3 changes....Oline and WR included. Our D is decent. Chubb's loss is clear, but he will return. We need some change there as well. Dbacks are not too hard to find, so it is incumbent on how we proceed with the front 7. Who knows...maybe a trade will benefit us.

So I am summarizing "the players" as follows....sub par record, but establishing itself with a new leader, and some quality youth to support. Changes required, as is the case for most teams. But priority one, finding a QB, looks like a pretty safe bet to me. We can move forward as we should.

And even with a decent finish, we will possess some quality draft picks. Losing a few games wouldn't bother me too much, if we are trying. I like the idea of one more high draft set of picks. I want that franchise LT! A guy can hope. Even if not, we will have some nice draft capital to work with. And FA should always be about need, and at a fair price.

OKAY....now the part I need to get to. I've often spoke about 3 areas of concern - QB, Oline and FO. Given I am feeling better about our QB situation, and that our Oline can be fixed in the offseason, all roads lead me to the FO. And while I'm at it, coaching. For me the shift is on...from players to those running the team. For if the management group as a whole does not succeed going forward, we are no better off.

The Front Office can not be unsuccessful this offseason. They must acquire players, via FA, The Draft or trade, that make us better for the long term. They must solidify the Oline, for once and for all! There are 5 men who play Oline as starters. Risner will be one of them. We do not need 4 new faces. This is not high level math folks....I am quite sure that if we go smart with 2 new faces, we will put a quality Oline out there. And at least one will be from our first or even second round draft pick. How hard can this be? Really good Oliners in the draft often turn out good. It's one position that has a reasonable return on investment. And yes, FA is still a possibility.

FIX IT!

I've said this many times, but I believe John Elway is our leader...who can make his life better by hiring a quality GM, capable of managing the roster and all that comes with it. It's time John. Help yourself.

And while I realize that our players have a huge role in all of this, I think it is incumbent that our coaching staff earn their keep, by growing this team as a solid unit, playing as a team while playing to their individual max. But coaching is also about the playbook, and how it aligns with the talent we have. It's about smart, solid, hard nosed, in your face play, while also incorporating a level of innovation and depth, with a huge tablespoon of execution! We need to be a team with an identity, but not one that is predictable. Creativity is part of this great game. Lets see it.

And yes, coaches need to do all those critical things that coaches do, to build a positive, unified and productive environment.

BE THOSE COACHES

Maybe some will dispute my assumption about our QB, but I am sticking to my belief. I say stay with him, and nurture. He has loads of natural talent, and is a good dude as well. Good by me. Hey, lets draft with purpose....give him the ball!

And given I like him and our backfield, and the obvious need for Oline focus, and upgrades in other areas....I say lets move the players to the side for the sake of this assessment. The shift is back on the FO and Coaching in my books. They can steer this thing to contention. But without them doing their jobs at a high level, we can not expect the players to win this thing by themselves.

I agree with some of your thoughts, except on Elway. With the ownership court case being heard this coming spring (who knows what may happen there) and the Trust quickly moving to appoint Brittney as controlling owner, I think Elway's days are numbered and rightfully so. I love him as the legendary HOF quarterback that he was, but not so much for the mistakes he's made as a GM. Post 2015, he's really sucked at FA signing and has way too many bad drafts and bad coaching hires over the course of his tenure. He's turning a lot of fans against him as well as former broncos (now media announcers that can keep reminding everyone in the country how bad Elway is at his job). I don't think he'll be the face of the franchise as you suggest and hire a GM as he seems to want control of that area. Four years with no playoffs, three of which are really bad losing seasons, the ugly records and the "Not since 1973" or "Not since they joined the NFL" stuff that have came with those. I think that there's a chance he'll be shown the door at the end of this year and more likely not resigned next year if he lasts that long. If the courts swing the big axe (and they may), we're most likely looking at a new owner that will want his own people. I can't see any owner being okay with 19,000 No Shows in attendance when they used to be booed for even thinking about ever missing a game. This team has really fallen since Mr. B has been gone. This is just my thoughts and everyone is entitled to disagree.

Yeah, JE has had a couple bad years. But, I think the good far out weighs the bad the last 9 years. I really doubt PM would have signed with the Broncos if Elway isn't the GM. As far as I'm concerned I see a lot of fans jumping ship just because of a few losing seasons. The Broncos were mostly competitive in those years especially with the tough schedules. The fans should rethink their position as they don't seem to understand the nature of the NFL. The Broncos have been very lucky over the years. As for a new owner taking over the team.....he might decide to move the team out of the Denver. That's why 19,000 no shows should rethink their decisions to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBobalu View Post
    I agree with some of your thoughts, except on Elway. With the ownership court case being heard this coming spring (who knows what may happen there) and the Trust quickly moving to appoint Brittney as controlling owner, I think Elway's days are numbered and rightfully so. I love him as the legendary HOF quarterback that he was, but not so much for the mistakes he's made as a GM. Post 2015, he's really sucked at FA signing and has way too many bad drafts and bad coaching hires over the course of his tenure. He's turning a lot of fans against him as well as former broncos (now media announcers that can keep reminding everyone in the country how bad Elway is at his job). I don't think he'll be the face of the franchise as you suggest and hire a GM as he seems to want control of that area. Four years with no playoffs, three of which are really bad losing seasons, the ugly records and the "Not since 1973" or "Not since they joined the NFL" stuff that have came with those. I think that there's a chance he'll be shown the door at the end of this year and more likely not resigned next year if he lasts that long. If the courts swing the big axe (and they may), we're most likely looking at a new owner that will want his own people. I can't see any owner being okay with 19,000 No Shows in attendance when they used to be booed for even thinking about ever missing a game. This team has really fallen since Mr. B has been gone. This is just my thoughts and everyone is entitled to disagree.
    Yes, we are free to discuss our beliefs, and you may be more correct than I. Being a bit far away, I do not have the local knowledge that many have about the FO. So my thoughts are fairly limited in scope when it comes to the ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    Yeah, JE has had a couple bad years. But, I think the good far out weighs the bad the last 9 years. I really doubt PM would have signed with the Broncos if Elway isn't the GM. As far as I'm concerned I see a lot of fans jumping ship just because of a few losing seasons. The Broncos were mostly competitive in those years especially with the tough schedules. The fans should rethink their position as they don't seem to understand the nature of the NFL. The Broncos have been very lucky over the years. As for a new owner taking over the team.....he might decide to move the team out of the Denver. That's why 19,000 no shows should rethink their decisions to stay away.
    Sure did look like a lot of empty seats yesterday. Ironically, I think we are now entering the next era of good football, though it may take another year or two, to be seriously competitive. But the energy should rise as we move forward with our young group of players. Like I often repeat, a good offseason will partially transform this team. We are solidifying the core pieces, but need to minimize all gaps via FA, The Draft, and possibly even trade route.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBobalu View Post
    There won’t be anything quick about the process. Brittany joined the Broncos today with the title of vice president of strategic initiatives (whatever that means). Ellis will drag out the process as long as possible. No matter what Brittany does the trust can say, “You’re developing the skills to takeover ownership, but you’re not quite ready”. It’s in the interest of the trust to keep the status quo as long as possible. If they lose in court they’ll appeal and ride out the legal process as long as possible. Because Ellis befriended Pat Bowlen, he’s the de facto owner and won’t surrender his power easily.