Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Derek Wolfe

Wolfe has had a very solid career here with a couple above average years thrown in there. Hopefully we continue to move towards developing young guys and Wolfe can go and make a few last dollars somewhere else to round out his career.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Wolfe has had a very solid career here with a couple above average years thrown in there. Hopefully we continue to move towards developing young guys and Wolfe can go and make a few last dollars somewhere else to round out his career.
    Or we can stop throwing guys out the door and let a great Bronco, who loves being a Bronco play his career out in Orange and Blue.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Or we can stop throwing guys out the door and let a great Bronco, who loves being a Bronco play his career out in Orange and Blue.
    His '19 cap is $10,925,000.

What would be your max '20 cap figure for Wolfe?

I would like to see this team become a winning team again, and spending that money elsewhere and looking to upgrade that spot will assist in doing so. Thanks to Derek, but it's time to commit to youth and development and looking to the future, not the past.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I would like to see this team become a winning team again, and spending that money elsewhere and looking to upgrade that spot will assist in doing so. Thanks to Derek, but it's time to commit to youth and development and looking to the future, not the past.
    He was our best lineman and hes coming off an injury, plus he wants to retire here. I think Elway can sign him to a team friendly deal. I like upgrading the position as a supplement to Wolfe not a supplant of.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    His '19 cap is $10,925,000.

What would be your max '20 cap figure for Wolfe?
    A contract for 4 years ~40M GTD 16M and a 12M signing bonus. Structure it like this: 1st year salary of 4M (this gives him 20M cash in hand for the 2020 season) + 3M for the signing bonus = 7M cap hit for 2020, 2nd year 7M salary + 3M signing bonus = 10M cap hit for 2021 season. His GTD money is done but still will have 6M in signing bonus that has to be accounted for in the salary ... 3rd year 8M salary + 3M signing bonus = 11M cap hit for 2022. At that point it would leave 3M in dead money if cut, or they would have to pay him the balance of the contract = 12M; that's 9M salary and 3M from the signing bonus.
    So to answer your ? ... 7M for 2020.
    He will be 30 in 2020 season. This contract is probably a little high considering his injury? He was having a great season and he has been solid his whole career. He should be good for another 2-3 seasons, some DEs have their best seasons at his age. He is worth what some team will pay him and ~10M, I think is probably about what he is worth when looking at other DE contracts.
    The Broncos have most of their DL coming into FA of some sort. Shelby Harris will be an UFA, he will probably get some good offers, might be tough to match? Gotsis is going to be a UFA, in my view he is not worth a major contract - ~5M maybe? - somebody may pay him but this season hasn't looked good for him. Purcell is a RFA, probably a 2nd round tender for him ~3.5M I think will be the rate for that. That only leaves Jones and Walker ... I think.
    IMO, Re-signing Wolfe would be nice but who knows what the Broncos will do?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    A contract for 4 years ~40M GTD 16M and a 12M signing bonus. Structure it like this: 1st year salary of 4M (this gives him 20M cash in hand for the 2020 season) + 3M for the signing bonus = 7M cap hit for 2020, 2nd year 7M salary + 3M signing bonus = 10M cap hit for 2021 season. His GTD money is done but still will have 6M in signing bonus that has to be accounted for in the salary ... 3rd year 8M salary + 3M signing bonus = 11M cap hit for 2022. At that point it would leave 3M in dead money if cut, or they would have to pay him the balance of the contract = 12M; that's 9M salary and 3M from the signing bonus.
    So to answer your ? ... 7M for 2020.
    He will be 30 in 2020 season. This contract is probably a little high considering his injury? He was having a great season and he has been solid his whole career. He should be good for another 2-3 seasons, some DEs have their best seasons at his age. He is worth what some team will pay him and ~10M, I think is probably about what he is worth when looking at other DE contracts.
    The Broncos have most of their DL coming into FA of some sort. Shelby Harris will be an UFA, he will probably get some good offers, might be tough to match? Gotsis is going to be a UFA, in my view he is not worth a major contract - ~5M maybe? - somebody may pay him but this season hasn't looked good for him. Purcell is a RFA, probably a 2nd round tender for him ~3.5M I think will be the rate for that. That only leaves Jones and Walker ... I think. IMO, Re-signing Wolfe would be nice but who knows what the Broncos will do?
    Derek Wolfe, I hope he takes another discount to remain in Denver.

Shelby Harris, I hope he takes a discount to remain in Denver.

Aussie Gotsis, I gave up on when he took a knee.
    I was like, "I'm sorry, is there a Georgia Tech and NFL in Australia?"

Mike Purcell, we might as well re-sign him longterm now.

I wonder if Fangio would ever switch to a 4 DL front?

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    I wonder if Fangio would ever switch to a 4 DL front?
    Vic Fangio uses multiple fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He was our best lineman and he’s coming off an injury, plus he wants to retire here. I think Elway can sign him to a team friendly deal. I like upgrading the position as a supplement to Wolfe not a supplant of.
    Fair call, and I would be okay with that given it is as you say, a team friendly deal.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/2...tay-in-denver/

Broncos Journal: Derek Wolfe says three-year deal would be ideal to remain with franchise

Less than 30 minutes after the Broncos beat the Los Angeles Chargers on Dec. 1, defensive end Derek Wolfe was equal parts seething and sad.

Wolfe had sustained a dislocated left elbow when he collided with teammate Mike Purcell on a play that should have been whistled dead because of a Chargers false start penalty.

Seething …

“I was just mad that my season was cut short,” Wolfe said at his locker this past week. “I was putting together a really good season.”

And sad …

“I was emotional because it could have been my last game as a Bronco,” Wolfe said. “I’m still emotional about it because it (stinks) that I didn’t get to finish what I was doing and for it to happen on a play that wasn’t supposed to happen, it wasn’t really my fault at all.”

Wolfe, 29, was in positive spirits this past week because the injury did not require surgery and the subsequent long rehabilitation.

“I’m feeling really good,” he said. “I’m probably two weeks ahead of schedule already.”

Not on schedule just yet is Wolfe’s future. A second-round draft pick by the Broncos in 2012, Wolfe’s second contract with the team — a four-year, $36.7 million deal — expires after the season.

“We haven’t been talking,” Wolfe said of his camp and the Broncos.

Surprised?

“No, not really,” he said. “We talked a little bit before the season started, but we were on different pages then and it was bad timing. They were like, ‘We’ll just come back to it.’ Maybe they’re ready to move on from me, maybe not.”

The Broncos have done only two contract-related bits of business since the end of the preseason. They re-worked quarterback Joe Flacco’s deal to create immediate salary cap space and they signed fullback Andy Janovich to a new deal.

The Broncos remain Wolfe’s Plan A.

“I want to finish my career here, absolutely,” he said.

Asked his preferred term, he said: “I would like to have a three-year deal.”

In 12 games this season, Wolfe played 541 snaps and had 34 tackles and a career-high seven sacks. According to The Denver Post’s game charting, he had eight run “stuffs” (gain of one or fewer yards) and 17 pass-rush “disruptions” (seven sacks, five knockdowns and five pressures).

“I felt great,” Wolfe said. “I was still really strong. I was actually getting stronger in the weight room. My ankle was feeling really good. No issues with my head or neck. No issues with my hips. I was getting my second wind and making the push for the fourth quarter of the season.”

Re-signing Wolfe is a necessity for the Broncos. Shelby Harris and Adam Gotsis will be free agents, leaving DeMarcus Walker (entering his fourth year in 2020) and Dre’Mont Jones (entering his second year) as the only ends under contract. Keeping Wolfe would allow the Broncos to wait until after the first couple rounds of the draft to add depth, knowing he is still playing at a high level.

But as Wolfe knows, all it takes is one team to make an out-of-the-box offer (term and guaranteed money) and/or the Broncos deciding they want to get younger and less expensive at an important position.

Wolfe has never entered the open market — he signed his current deal on Jan. 15, 2016.

“I mean, we have all the way to March (to get a deal done),” he said.

A three-year deal with the Broncos would take Wolfe through his age 32 season and, if played out, would make him a 10-year player for the franchise.

Wolfe joined the Broncos during a stretch of five consecutive AFC West titles and one Super Bowl win. Like teammate Von Miller, he wants to be around if the franchise turns things around.

“We were at the top of the barrel,” Wolfe said. “We were the best team in the league. We were the team to beat for five years. For the last four years to go the way it has, it’s really heart-breaking. I feel like I’m just hitting my prime and getting that grown-man strength and grown-man maturity to where I’m really trusting myself on the field. And my instincts are getting more tuned in. …

“I think we have the pieces to be a good, competitive football team. We have a young quarterback (Drew Lock) who has shown a ton of promise and what he brings to the team is like a new life. I’m excited to see what he can do next year and hopefully I can be a part of it.”
    Last edited by Mel B.; 12-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Of all places for him to go!

Wolfe had to choose the Ravens.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Good for him, I am glad he is going to a team that usually has a strong defense. Im happy for him but he will be missed.

Just getting that grown man strength ? Man spends half his time on his back these days and the other half of his time on injured reserve. It's a new era of a Bronco football with some of the older players leaving making room for some youth, good for Wolfe, good for the Broncos.

I wish him the beast going forward.

He was a hell of a defensive end, on a legenday defense.

To infinity...and beyond.

I wish it was like this as well but those days are gone with free agency the way it is and the salary cap. Both of those things are imo key reasons the NFL is fun for fans of all team to watch so I think they should stay.

When we let Dennis Smith go when he did not want to go it started a huge argument in my family about the concept you mentioned about allowing a Bronco player to finish his career with the team.

Both the players and team have good solid points. The team needs to build a championship team with in the rules of salary cap. The players need to maximize their earnings while they can because even if they have a longer than average career their earning potential is in a limited number of years.

As a fan over the past 3 decades of this I have learned just to appreciate the people we have who done their best to make an impact of my entertainment dollar. I hope these people do not move on to a different team and hurt our Broncos chances of winning a ring but even if that happens I still am happy about the times I enjoyed while they were on our Broncos.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.