View Poll Results: What's Your "Gut" Feeling About Our QB Situation?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Lock Will Be The Guy

44 78.57%
  • Drew Lock Will Not Be The Guy

3 5.36%
  • 5 Games Aren't Enough, So We Need To Invest In Another QB This Offseason

9 16.07%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's Your "Gut" Feeling About Our QB Situation?

Too early, but never too early for a poll. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY "GUT FEELING", please ignore this thread.

OK....after just one game with Drew Lock at the helm, what does your gut tell you about our QB situation? My rules because I initiated (haha), so....if pressed to make a decision at this very moment, where does your gut take you?

I am clearly in the, "lets roll with Lock, until he seriously proves he is not the future" group. Old stuff by now, but here's why:
    1) We needed a QB so we drafted one quite high.
    2) Flacco was at best a 2 year bridge (although I wouldn't have signed him)
    3) Lock was injured, though the extent of it is still a bit confusing. Seems like he could have been ready for practice time sooner.
    4) Allen stepped in, and did an admirable job, given he is a 4th year backup QB.
    5) Lock was finally allowed to take more reps, and actually START!
    6) Lock played well, with a rate of 84.5, 2 TD passes, only 1 pic, and helped with just our 4th victory.
    7) Overall, in my opinion, he showed everything I would have hoped for, given his background, his lack of reps, and his newness to the bigs. I gave him a B+ in terms of his status and results, and I see no reason to hold him back. Given we have no other serious options, and he was chosen for a very clear reason, I believe we stick with him throughout this year and into the next.
    8) If we are not prepared to make that decision, I believe we are jeopardizing our future, given the additional resourcing requirements to find yet another QB, while forfeiting the possibility of landing a talented player at another position of need, or a BPA with incredible upside.
    9) As for the Oline, it is a real quandary. QBs need support, but if we do not fortify the Oline group, we keep on disabling our QBs. So they continue to be less effective than if we actually gave them the quality Oline they deserve. Quandary.

So, I say stick with Drew, and other than a sudden decline, or a lack of any progression, show faith and belief, and teach him to be the best he can be. I am a little concerned that "caution" may become more of a factor than belief. And in this case, if our management group had enough faith in him in the first place, and he had a darn good first game against a pretty good D, I firmly believe it's time to put extra effort into helping him succeed!

I am only giving you 3 choices. Gut feeling folks!

(have fun with this....it's not super scientific....sure, I could have added more options, but kept it tight)
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-04-2019 at 02:00 PM.

It seems very much like it is time to see if Lock is worth the support or he will fall flat on his face. Personally, it is hard to have a rosy picture of our new "franchise" QB who was able to put together one very good drive and then benefitted off gift wrapped opportunities. He was mediocre, and that is ok at this time in his career.
    His job is to make sure the team wins - he did that so...
    I don't see anything to be wildly optimistic about but he did what he had to, but there was also not a wow moment. I was more elated with Tebows first start and with Siemians ditto, but Lock is our QB right mow and he deserves support!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    It seems very much like it is time to see if Lock is worth the support or he will fall flat on his face. Personally, it is hard to have a rosy picture of our new "franchise" QB who was able to put together one very good drive and then benefitted off gift wrapped opportunities. He was mediocre, and that is ok at this time in his career.
    His job is to make sure the team wins - he did that so...
    I don't see anything to be wildly optimistic about but he did what he had to, but there was also not a wow moment. I was more elated with Tebows first start and with Siemians ditto, but Lock is our QB right mow and he deserves support!
    I like the name association - Denver / Denmark

Yes, lets give him all the support he needs. Just like any other good prospect.

My gut feeling is that heíll be the guy. The next 4 games may look worse, they may look better and next season could look worse if we donít get the right guys around him. But I do think heís a QB we can build around and I do think that over time he will develop into a very good QB.

Yes the stats werenít very pretty but for his first start he showed a lot that you typically donít see from a QB in his first start. Pre/post snap reads, looking defenders off, working through progressions, plus ball placement as well as touch (Fants dropped TD was a beauty), anticipating his targets coming open. Once he cleans up his footwork and gets more adjusted to the speed of NFL defenses I think he will prove to everyone he can be special.

I feel like he'll be "that guy". He still needs work. He's a kid! He's enjoying himself and working hard and taking this seriously.
    Opposite of Paxton. Give him some time to grow.
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Good start gang. Not easy playing the gut feeling game, in this regard. I'll try not to conduct another QB poll for a long while!!

I voted Lock will be the guy. Though really I have no idea. I agree with most of your points with the rather big caveat that Allen looked pretty good in his first game too. Maybe better than Lock.

As far as strategy goes, 5 games isn't enough to judge, so I'm fine rolling with Lock through next season. We have other big needs like Oline that have to be addressed regardless of the QB. So it makes sense to spend our draft capital and FA $$ filling some holes instead of going after a QB. At least until we get a better read on Lock, which won't be until he has most of next season under his belt. Lock & Allen 2020.

I'm on the fence. I think he can be the guy, but I also totally believe this staff (including FO) will break him or not use him right and he will peter out.

My gut feeling is that we won't be having serious starting QB debates on here for 10+ years after this offseason.

My gut feeling is he has the tools to be the man, but I'm of the philosophy that you don't have a QB until you do. I don't think we need to spend Draft capital to find one but I do think looking at UDFA and FA wouldnt hurt.
    I need more Oline, please and thank you

I voted for "Drew Lock the the guy", but I actually have a different perspective. Roll with him rest of the season, go into training camp next season with him as the starter, and build around him. If he doesn't have what it takes, we take a QB in 2021. I like what I've seen from him, but he's still got a ways to go. Better give him some reps now.

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Plans for next year depend on an accurate evaluation of Drew Lock. The only way to get that is to play him. If he can start the remaining games, Denver will know if drafting him has adequately addressed the QB position.

If Drew can improve even slightly in each game and implement the coaching, he will be Denver's starting QB. I hope that's what we see.

If the Broncos don't need to address the QB position in the draft/free agency, it will help a lot.

My gut says that he has what it takes to be a competent starting NFL QB.

After seeing Drew's first start I have to say I'm encouraged. I didn't see anything I was hoping to see in preseason. So I was pleasantly surprised to see some skill shown.

It's still way too early to cast an opinion. But as you say gut................ encouraged

Not blown away by any means. He has an arm. Does he have the 'want to' because that's really what makes a QB who has talent. That and 'football' intelligence
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

I voted 5 games isn't enough because I want us to draft Burrows from LSU...Geaux Tigers
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers