O-line not as big of an issue as advertised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freyaka
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

O-line not as big of an issue as advertised.

According to football outsiders stats, we've got a top 10 o-line. People keep clinging to this notion that we still have a garbage o-line (garbage lt, sure) but it's not really as bad as people claim. We're middle of the league in qb hits and most of those came during flacco ls immobile tenure.

Zero sacks on lock this week with bosa lining up on the other side.

I think we replace bolles in the off-season, we'll finally be able to put the "our o-line sucks" mindset to bed in Denver.

Been really happy with the munchak hire.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 12-05-2019, 09:01 AM.
    sigpic
  • Freyaka
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

To add to my thoughts (was in a hurry earlier) I get that pass blocking is significantly lower than run blocking, I get that we still need work, but if you've been watching games, you'll have seen an improvement since flacco went down.

We could use improvement in some areas (bolles, looking at your moronic mountain form) but over all, we're getting better. I think qb play has been a big part of our struggles for sometime now. And the argument seems to go "qb play will improve when the line does" and "line play will improve once we don't have a statue that holds the ball too long"

I think we're a lt away from fixing our o-line, rt needs addressed, but you can get by in this league with a poor rt, most teams struggle to find a rt, Boles needs replaced, but we're by no means in the fire shape we once we're, this week's sack free game speaks towards that.
    sigpic

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
      Football Immortal
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      To add to my thoughts (was in a hurry earlier) I get that pass blocking is significantly lower than run blocking, I get that we still need work, but if you've been watching games, you'll have seen an improvement since flacco went down.

We could use improvement in some areas (bolles, looking at your moronic mountain form) but over all, we're getting better. I think qb play has been a big part of our struggles for sometime now. And the argument seems to go "qb play will improve when the line does" and "line play will improve once we don't have a statue that holds the ball too long"

I think we're a lt away from fixing our o-line, rt needs addressed, but you can get by in this league with a poor rt, most teams struggle to find a rt, Boles needs replaced, but we're by no means in the fire shape we once we're, this week's sack free game speaks towards that.
      leary has been Very bad and is the wrong side of 30. we need a gaurd one way or another, i am also not sold on mcgovern, but he doesn't need to replaced right away.

i am also a guy who believe you build in from the inside to the outside. or build to dominate the trenches.
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
        team preacher
        • Mar 2008

Move Bolles to RG and draft a LT in the top 10?
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
          Football Immortal
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          Move Bolles to RG and draft a LT in the top 10?
          it is not for sure that bolles can play guard or in the nfl in general yet
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm

Comment

• beastlyskronk
            Football Immortal
            • Jun 2007

Wilkinson filled in at RG last season, his game is better suited for the interior so I expect him to be there next year

Comment

• JvDub95
              Football Immortal
              • Jan 2005

Just think about how much better it would be with Bolles being replaced?!?!!? Maybe he can make a transition to G? All I know is his holding us a real issue and if Munchak can't fix him he can't be fixed

​​​​

Comment

• Freyaka
                Football Immortal
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                Just think about how much better it would be with Bolles being replaced?!?!!? Maybe he can make a transition to G? All I know is his holding us a real issue and if Munchak can't fix him he can't be fixed
                He's got the physical ability, the problem is he's a giant mountain of stupidity... In theory, the likelihood of holding would be lower in the middle with lesser ability pass rushers... It would be worth a shot as long as we have him a short leash.
                sigpic

Comment

• jflee66
                  Bench Warmer
                  • Dec 2017

Imo, we should draft a couple of o-linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Maybe even the 1st rnd depending on the spot. I would hate to see a top 10 pk go to an o-lineman. It should be a play maker on def. or off. It would certainly improve the off. to have a top WR with speed lining up opposite Sutton and having a QB that can get them the ball anywhere on the field.

Comment

• Freyaka
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by jflee66 View Post
                    Imo, we should draft a couple of o-linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Maybe even the 1st rnd depending on the spot. I would hate to see a top 10 pk go to an o-lineman. It should be a play maker on def. or off. It would certainly improve the off. to have a top WR with speed lining up opposite Sutton and having a QB that can get them the ball anywhere on the field.
                    I'd say at this point wr2 is a huge need. I'm with you, grab a few in the second and let munchak work his magic.
                    sigpic

Comment

• listopencil
                      Revenant
                      • Aug 2003

Lock has the ability to get rid of the ball very, very quickly. He's also pretty mobile and will throw the ball on the move from an unstable platform at weird angles. He did that against the Chargers. That's a good thing to have in a QB but just because you have a QB that may be able to mitigate crappy O-ine play doesn't mean having a crappy O-Lineman is OK. I want them to draft an OT in the first and a C in the second.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                        Football Immortal
                        • May 2010

I'd say at this point wr2 is a huge need. I'm with you, grab a few in the second and let munchak work his magic.
                        i would look to add an LT through the draft, Thomas, Wirfs, Leatherwood, and Willis all have the floor to step in day one as an LT. a guy like Prince can step up in a year or 2, but this looks like it is a strong draft on the oline. we also need depth at tackle. we need to be the position that wilkerson is not our number 2 lt. we need alot more talent then just a starting LT expecially with james injury history. we should also look at a guy like Jon Runyan jr in the 4th or so. dude has nfl pedigree and i think he looks like he could be a very good gaurd in this league.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                          i would look to add an LT through the draft, Thomas, Wirfs, Leatherwood, and Willis all have the floor to step in day one as an LT. a guy like Prince can step up in a year or 2, but this looks like it is a strong draft on the oline. we also need depth at tackle. we need to be the position that wilkerson is not our number 2 lt. we need alot more talent then just a starting LT expecially with james injury history. we should also look at a guy like Jon Runyan jr in the 4th or so. dude has nfl pedigree and i think he looks like he could be a very good gaurd in this league.
                          I would for sure take Jon Runyan JR!

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                            Super Moderator
                            • Dec 2008

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

According to football outsiders stats, we've got a top 10 o-line. People keep clinging to this notion that we still have a garbage o-line (garbage lt, sure) but it's not really as bad as people claim. We're middle of the league in qb hits and most of those came during flacco ls immobile tenure.

Zero sacks on lock this week with bosa lining up on the other side.

I think we replace bolles in the off-season, we'll finally be able to put the "our o-line sucks" mindset to bed in Denver.

Been really happy with the munchak hire.
                            As bad as Bolles is in pass protection, he's good in run blocking. The Broncos are ranked 2nd in the league when they run over left tackle. With both him and Risner having a mean streak they need to start games by running behind those two, let them hammer open some holes and push the hit the opponent.

And as hesitant as I was about it earlier I do agree with the sentiment of moving him to guard in the offseason to see how it goes. His biggest issue in pass Pro is getting beat outside, making up for it with bad technique and then holding. In at guard he'd essentially be blocking in a phone booth and the issue of getting beaten outside with speed would be nullified. He'd just need to be able to anchor against bullrushes.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              it is not for sure that bolles can play guard or in the nfl in general yet

According to Football Outsiders he's a dominant run blocker. Moving him to guard improves his pass pro technique just based on position, and gives you more anger run blocking inside. He might struggle because of his size, but that's the best bet to save his career. And since the Broncos have him under contract at a decent rate for one more year, it makes sense to move him and see how he does during the OTAs and camp.

Frankly I wouldn't mind taking a look at Risner at both RT and C, Risner was a C for his Freshman year at KSU, and then started 3 years at RT. It's probably not a fit at C, but I think he could be an interesting fit at RT. II'd also look at Bolles and Wilkinson at G, both are better suited for the inside pass blocking.

Comment

Working...
                              X