Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    According to Football Outsiders he's a dominant run blocker. Moving him to guard improves his pass pro technique just based on position, and gives you more anger run blocking inside. He might struggle because of his size, but that's the best bet to save his career. And since the Broncos have him under contract at a decent rate for one more year, it makes sense to move him and see how he does during the OTAs and camp.

Frankly I wouldn't mind taking a look at Risner at both RT and C, Risner was a C for his Freshman year at KSU, and then started 3 years at RT. It's probably not a fit at C, but I think he could be an interesting fit at RT. II'd also look at Bolles and Wilkinson at G, both are better suited for the inside pass blocking.
    I trust Munchak to experiment with the shuffles. So far, James is unreliable, so it looks like two starting Tackles are needed. Wilkinson is a better G and they have three other Tackles, but they may not be starting material.

They also have three other Centers besides McGovern and Schlottmann, but hard to say if any will step up.

Dalton could be tried at RT or C, but whoever steps in at LG would need to be a good puller. Dalton has become Route 66 as a puller, and it seems to be a requirement for LG. Dalton is not only the best O-Lineman they have; he is the most versatile, too.

Bolles would have moved inside by now if a better LT was on the team. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

According to Football Outsiders Denver ranks second in the league when running over the Left Tackle. In general they're decent running from tackle to tackle, okay running outside left and poor running outside right.

But when ranked second in the league in success running over Left Tackle that will indicate that your left tackle is dominant at run blocking. Which is why I would move him inside and limit the amount of space he needs to pass block.
    Maybe we should run more we are still 16th in yards we are middle tier in running tds. I just don't see it. I also generally don't trust peoples oline scores and going by my eye test. Lindsay is also down on yards per carry and Freeman is doing the same. Lindsay is down on tds compared to last year. I also am not a big fan of how the running backs are being handled in general. But I would not call any part of run game dominating. It looks worst to me then last year

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    JaíWuan James is expected to play vs Texans. If he plays out the season the Broncos might try him at LT. His pattern is to show up every other year, so maybe heíll be a contributor in 2020. If he continues taking advantage of the guaranteed money to sit, the Broncos will need to address LT and RT for next season. McGovern is average but maybe over time Munchak can coach him up. Moving Bolles inside is worth a try IMO.
    I'm a little concerned about the James signing. Last week Fangio said he was healthy but needed time to be mentally ready. For playing only three quarters this entire year you have to wonder how mentally tough James is or his capacity to play the game at a physical level.

Before last game Big Al was on the local Bronco nightly show and he said that Bolles had played really well the previous two games. He brought up that the holding on Bolles in one game was really Freeman's fault because he bounced a run outside when he should have just ran it straight up for no gain. Big Al went on to say that good RB coaches tell them to just just run straight and take the loss because when they bounce it outside in that situation it gives the OL bad angles and creates holding calls.

I'm not a Bolles fan, but it may be possible that it took half a season for Munchak to make a difference.. I also think the league may have had the refs stop calling as many holding calls.

According to Football Outsiders Denver ranks second in the league when running over the Left Tackle. In general they're decent running from tackle to tackle, okay running outside left and poor running outside right.

But when ranked second in the league in success running over Left Tackle that will indicate that your left tackle is dominant at run blocking. Which is why I would move him inside and limit the amount of space he needs to pass block.
    Are you sure they arenít meaning having your left tackle run over

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    And yet, not a single sack, yes, Boles sucks, but you don't go a whole game against a good pass rush like the chargers have sack free if your line is bad.
    Unless your qb gets rid of the ball every single time faster than the D gets there even if the oline whiffs. Not saying that happened but it could. Usually elite QBs can mask that.

I donít recall but lock was hit a few times right? Just not sacked. The tackle can whiff a few times and get away with it if the ball was out faster.

So Lock is having a favourable effect, by being mobile and with his quick release. I'm likin him even more!

Does anyone understand NFL.com's Oline metric? Has us at 22nd. It is mostly about running, with a little passing as well.

Having Joe Flacco back there he will make ANY Oline look bad. When your a sitting duck and donít release the ball just hold it forever. Your o line is going to receive a ton of heat. Look at what lock did in one game. I LOVE how Mobil he is. He extended a bunch of plays And got rid of a couple passes quickly like that touchdown to Sutton that normally, would have resulted in a sack. So with lock being back there. I agree our Oline isnít as much of a problem as we all think. We do need another WR though....

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the James signing. Last week Fangio said he was healthy but needed time to be mentally ready. For playing only three quarters this entire year you have to wonder how mentally tough James is or his capacity to play the game at a physical level.
    I think James was cleared to play two weeks prior to last Sundayís game vs Chargers. Fangioís comments were very concerning - if a player needs help getting ďmentally and emotionally prepared to playĒ, thatís a red flag. James showed up every other season in Miami. If James doesnít come around his contract will go down as the worst free agent signing for Elway. James is expected to play vs Texans. If he plays I wouldnít be surprised to see him come out again. Where thereís smoke thereís fire.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So Lock is having a favourable effect, by being mobile and with his quick release. I'm likin him even more!

Does anyone understand NFL.com's Oline metric? Has us at 22nd. It is mostly about running, with a little passing as well.
    Where did you find that?

Football Outsiders has our run blocking at 7th and our pass protection at 27th. So I would guess the NFL's site metric is more toward pass blocking?
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Where did you find that?

Football Outsiders has our run blocking at 7th and our pass protection at 27th. So I would guess the NFL's site metric is more toward pass blocking?
    It's the NFL ranking they have posted on their site but , though categorically it's for "offensive line" it looks exclusively for rushing and likely weighted accordingly according to their metrics. How that differs from FO would be interesting to know - maybe giving better or worse weighting depending on results vs. efficiency. I swear, stats can be so annoying.
    Last edited by Rastic; 12-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Where did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    It's the NFL ranking they have posted on their site but , though categorically it's for "offensive line" it looks exclusively for rushing and likely weighted accordingly according to their metrics. How that differs from FO would be interesting to know - maybe giving better or worse weighting depending on results vs. efficiency. I swear, stats can be so annoying.
    This is correct. I've looked at in past but never quite paid too much attention to it. It does lean towards the run, and adds Sacks and QB Hits. Fairly basic, though it does break down the run game to the left, center and right. You will find it in NFL.com, under Stats, and then Team Stats. You have to then dig a little deeper in The Offensive categories, to where it takes you to Offensive Line.

Not a biggee as I say. Likely not as valued as many other OLine stats from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    And yet, not a single sack, yes, Boles sucks, but you don't go a whole game against a good pass rush like the chargers have sack free if your line is bad.
    Just go look at the highlight video. It's Lock's video and it focuses on him. Ignore the focus. Locate Bolles on every play and watch him. Then, if you still have the stomach for it, do the same thing with every other lineman.

Is anyone really looking at our rushing attack and feeling all that great about it?

Iím hearing a lot of ďwe rank high in run blocking just not pass blockingĒ but I just donít really feel like we run as well this year. I mean there are times we look good but I just feel like it isnít as potent as last year.

Although I just checked mid post and Lindsay is still at 766 and could reach 1k again with a modest 59 yards per game.

But he was closer to 1k at this point a year ago before the offense went wack at the end and then the injury.

Iíll accept that the line is better than my first paranoia because there have been several games where Iím like hey no sacks yet and itís late.

As long as we get rid of Bolles and use a high pick on a quality Lt then Iím good.

I donít agree with posters saying a top 10 pick needs to be skill weapons or defense. I donít trust Elway picking tackles and you could easily argue Bolles at LT is the biggest problem with this team. And usually you get the top tier Ltís between 1-15. So why would we not draft one top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Is anyone really looking at our rushing attack and feeling all that great about it?

I’m hearing a lot of “we rank high in run blocking just not pass blocking” but I just don’t really feel like we run as well this year. I mean there are times we look good but I just feel like it isn’t as potent as last year.

Although I just checked mid post and Lindsay is still at 766 and could reach 1k again with a modest 59 yards per game.

But he was closer to 1k at this point a year ago before the offense went wack at the end and then the injury.

I’ll accept that the line is better than my first paranoia because there have been several games where I’m like hey no sacks yet and it’s late.

As long as we get rid of Bolles and use a high pick on a quality Lt then I’m good.

I don’t agree with posters saying a top 10 pick needs to be skill weapons or defense. I don’t trust Elway picking tackles and you could easily argue Bolles at LT is the biggest problem with this team. And usually you get the top tier Lt’s between 1-15. So why would we not draft one top 10?
    I agree DB with your conclusion that we must go OT....early! #1 pick as long as there's a good one close by, or even trade back to get a good one that is still first round material. The trade would give us more draft capital to go get another talented WR, some interior D help, and a DBack or two, I used to say ILB, but may have to revisit the position.

Regardless, a first round OT will solidify our Oline, which will enable our QB and his weapons to perform better, and in my books, be future ready, full of young talent and promise. Add a WR, and we're looking solid!!! We can fill gaps in FA and the draft, on D. And lets not forget, Chubb will be back.