Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Per Todd McShay :

In the wake of the 2020 NFL Combine, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said he believes the Broncos could add "fighter jet" speed to their offense with the 15th-overall pick.
    McShay projected the Broncos would select Alabama wide receiver Henry Ruggs III in the first round of April's draft. He also suggested Florida cornerback CJ Henderson and South Carolina's Javon Kinlaw could be other potential options at No. 15.
    "With Ruggs and his fighter jet 4.27 speed still on the board, I'm getting a burner opposite Courtland Sutton for second-year quarterback Drew Lock," McShay wrote in his most recent mock draft. "Ruggs is explosive and has a skill set that offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur can design plays around. With some development to his route running and some tacked-on strength, Ruggs has the chance to be special in the NFL and could instantly be a favorite target of the big-armed Lock."
    McShay previously mocked Ruggs to the Eagles at No. 22.

Ruggs, a 6-foot, 190-pound player, appears to have improved his stock with a 4.27-second 40-yard dash at last week's NFL Combine.
    He recorded the fastest time of any wide receiver and was one of just two players to break the 4.3-second mark.
    "Ruggs ran the only 4.27 in the history of the Combine that might've been met with a little bit of disappointment, just 'cause [of] the hype," McShay said in a conference call Tuesday. "But he's such a stud. In a group of receivers [from Alabama] that has four potential first-round picks in this year or next year's draft, he was the alpha dog. He loves playing special teams. He'll block. He had one dropped pass the entire season last year.
    "Usually the 4.27 receivers, those kinds of guys, they're inconsistent catching the ball, they're divas, one-trick ponies. And he's anything but."
    The Broncos may not have the opportunity to select the speedy Crimson Tide receiver; McShay said Tuesday some teams have Ruggs ranked ahead of Jerry Jeudy.

Ruggs caught 40 passes for 746 yards and seven touchdowns in 2019. { 40/7 = That is called scoring on 20% of your touches, Total Stud }

For those of you who think he was a third option in Alabama, wasn't Kamara NOT the primary running back in Tenn., I'm sure there's other examples that prove one can develop into more than what they were in college.
    I will not be disappointed if we selected Ruggs. Personally I prefer Jeudy and Jefferson to Ruggs but it is clear to me that he would add significant speed, and I agree he is not a one trick pony. If Jeudy and Ruggs were both there at 15 I think it would be silly to take Ruggs and I would probably prefer to move back 5-7 slots and take Jefferson. If Ruggs is the choice I will still be happy.

That being said, I don't really like the last argument you made. There are certainly examples of players who were not the primary option in college that became something more in the pros, but that is the exception not the rule. If a guy is the third or fourth option on his team in college it should be a warning flag, IMO. Ruggs may have enough skills that it should be overlooked.

My ONLY concern about Ruggs is that he disappears at times. In some of the biggest games, he was a non factor. He often looked like the 4th best receiver Alabama had on the field. Devonte Smith and Jeudy always seemed to overshadow him. Weddle even looked like a bigger factor many times last year. Ruggs may blossom in the NFL, but I worry about the disappearing act.

If we draft him, no doubt it changes the landscape. The safeties and corners will have to stay back. It would take the heat off. I can get behind the pick but it would not be my first choice. If I was a betting man, my money would be on Jeudy, Lamb, and Jefferson all being better pros than Ruggs. But who knows, the draft is a bit of a guessing game and I am wrong as often as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I don't always agree with you, but I appreciate when folks verify their comments where possible, and these are very relative facts. And as we know, these are just the latest rule changes in favour of QBs and their weapons. So that is why you can not use old "sayings" about how to win, when one side of the ledger has been given a significant amount of support from the league....though as you say, safety does matter.

Bottom line, you flow with what's the wiser way to go. Having said that, I still believe you can win with a good D and a sound running game. But unlike days of old (and not too old), if you neglect the importance of a quality QB and passing game opportunities, and the rule support thereof, you are not really paying attention to your environment.
    I was reading back through this thread and feel like my point was missed a little bit in the back and forth. I think I agree with you a lot more than my post sounded.

I am not advocating we ignore the Defense. In fact, quite the opposite. I just happen to believe we have a much better Defense than we do Offense. With our first 5 or 6 picks I am an advocate of taking a DE, CB, and/or Safety if they are the best player at a position of need. I also agree that there are a lot of ways to win ball games. I was taking issue with two items in particular. The saying that Defense wins championships and the idea of moving up significantly to get Simmons.

If Simmons is on the board at 15, I think it is a no brainer. I would jump at the chance to have him on our team. That being said, I don't think he puts us over the top nor do I think he will be available. We had a pretty good pass defense last year. If Simmons gets to pick 11 and it only takes a third rounder to go get him, then I think the discussion starts to get interesting. I also happen to have a very high opinion of Thomas and Jeudy and would love to take one of them at 15 if they are still available.

I do not want to trade our first, second, and at least one third to move up to guarantee we get Simmons. I think there is too much value in our other draft picks. I think we need good, young, cheap talent. Elway has done a better job drafting lately and if he applies the same principles we will add quality talent in this draft. I think we would be better off investing in OL, WR, and DL prospects in 3 picks vs trading up to get Simmons and only getting one player. This is a deep draft and I would rather have 3 guys than one potential superstar. That of course, takes into account the position the superstar plays. ILB and safety are just not worth it IMO. Once again, no intended slight on Simmons. I think he is a fantastic talent.

I also believe that the rules have changed and good offenses are going to score points. I think the best way to beat the Chiefs is to keep them off the field. Which is more on our offense than our defense. I don't think drafting Simmons means we would shut down Kelce, nor do I think it means the Chiefs wouldn't still score points on us. I think we need to invest in the offensive line and pick up another weapon or two for our QB. We will need to score points to beat the Chiefs and have enough D to stop them occasionally. Not a shoot out necessarily but sustained drives that end in TDs.

Long way of my saying. I agree with your points on a solid D and running game.

Long way of me saying, I agree with you and I think that was lost in the points I was trying to make on the other topics.

good job on both reply posts myoung

So if I had a choice between Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy I would take Jeudy. I think he has more speed than Lamb and better overall WR skills than Ruggs. The choice between Lamb and Ruggs I would choose Ruggs. I really don't think you go wrong either way. Both of those guys are better than anyone we have except Sutton.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    So if I had a choice between Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy I would take Jeudy. I think he has more speed than Lamb and better overall WR skills than Ruggs. The choice between Lamb and Ruggs I would choose Ruggs. I really don't think you go wrong either way. Both of those guys are better than anyone we have except Sutton.
    I also feel like Ruggs and Jeudy would probably be better compliments to Sutton, but I think Lamb will be an excellent receiver. Jeudy is the most polished route runner to come out of college in some time and he is faster than most think. Nobody stays with him on the crossing routes.

Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    That being said, I don't really like the last argument you made. There are certainly examples of players who were not the primary option in college that became something more in the pros, but that is the exception not the rule. If a guy is the third or fourth option on his team in college it should be a warning flag, IMO. Ruggs may have enough skills that it should be overlooked.

My ONLY concern about Ruggs is that he disappears at times. In some of the biggest games, he was a non factor. He often looked like the 4th best receiver Alabama had on the field. Devonte Smith and Jeudy always seemed to overshadow him. Weddle even looked like a bigger factor many times last year. Ruggs may blossom in the NFL, but I worry about the disappearing act.

I hear what you're saying...had a thought this morning....was the teams game plan { when you say Ruggs disappeared at times } based on different concepts at times for the type of team they were playing ? I don't know.....What about Tua....he was his QB.....does he have a nice deep ball......I don't know. What I do know is.....Fangio wants to be more aggressive.....insert the change in the OC. I do know that Lock has one of the best deep balls out there.....to throw a bomb 30 yards down to the side line and split defenders but have the ball hit his receiver's hands......that's just awesome baby.....and Lock can do that. Now insert the fact that Ruggs dropped 1 ball last year. He will catch it if you throw it to him. Hot dang, I'm getting so pumped to see this. We just need to draft that man. So sick of our inept offense the past three years, and to see what Lock brought to the table....man. I just can't wait.

Just my biased opinion, but you have to agree I bring some good points to the table.

I would rather take the best WR and route runner in the draft, Jeudy.

Ruggs is the WR that I would like to see drafted the most .

Think some are over analyzing. The young man is not just fast but a damn good football player. Ridiculous drop stats and TD / reception percentage. When he got the ball he made plays. He will be an impact player in the League. Hopefully in a Broncos uniform but I see him selected before #15.

All that being said, I would be thrilled with any of about 6-8 projected to go in the first couple rounds. They will make the offense better. Only a couple arguably as good as Ruggs though.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I would rather take the best WR and route runner in the draft, Jeudy.
    I think he will be the most productive WR in this class. I like him a lot but to me he is just like Sutton, we need a compliment piece to CS and Lamb or Ruggs fit the bill better imo

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I think he will be the most productive WR in this class. I like him a lot but to me he is just like Sutton, we need a compliment piece to CS and Lamb or Ruggs fit the bill better imo
    hmm not sure I follow that comparison. Jeudy is much faster, quicker, and more nimble than Sutton. He is also not a big guy that goes up for each catch the same way. I see them as perfect compliments. I think Lamb is actually closer to Sutton. Fights for the ball, not as fast but strong tearing it down. Lamb is really good after the catch BUT most of that was in the Big 12 where everyone tears through the secondary.

Higgins is the guy that most resembles Sutton to me. I think Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are all great prospects but I see Jeudy and Ruggs as better with Sutton. We need more speed on the outside.

I am feeling it this way these days.....I would be very happy with Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    I hear what you're saying...had a thought this morning....was the teams game plan { when you say Ruggs disappeared at times } based on different concepts at times for the type of team they were playing ? I don't know.....What about Tua....he was his QB.....does he have a nice deep ball......I don't know. What I do know is.....Fangio wants to be more aggressive.....insert the change in the OC. I do know that Lock has one of the best deep balls out there.....to throw a bomb 30 yards down to the side line and split defenders but have the ball hit his receiver's hands......that's just awesome baby.....and Lock can do that. Now insert the fact that Ruggs dropped 1 ball last year. He will catch it if you throw it to him. Hot dang, I'm getting so pumped to see this. We just need to draft that man. So sick of our inept offense the past three years, and to see what Lock brought to the table....man. I just can't wait.

Just my biased opinion, but you have to agree I bring some good points to the table.
    Maybe you are talking me into it... lol.. I think you have some excellent points and thankful you took the time to write them down. I enjoy the discussion quite a bit. I agree with 2 things in particular.

1. I am sick of our inept offense
    2. Ruggs is all kinds of fast, doesn't drop the ball, and finds the end zone. He would also take a ton of pressure off the rest of our offense. Immediately it would have the effect that Will Fuller has for the Texans. All fantastic traits. His floor is probably Fuller but his ceiling might be just under Tyreke Hill. That would be great in my book.

I would not be disappointed if we drafted Ruggs. I have shared my concerns that he disappears, and given the number of deep balls that Tue connected with Alabama receivers, I am not going to put it on Tua. I do think Ruggs was often the 3rd or 4th option and other guys were open first. I also think it is fair to ask why he was not option #1 more often and why he disappeared in big games.

Would be happy with Ruggs but guessing Lamb, Jeudy, and Jefferson become better overall receivers. If we draft Ruggs I will HOPE I am wrong for the next decade.

And just to qualify my statements, I am still not convinced we should go WR in round 1. Depends on who is there at 15. I also like Thomas as a top 5 guy and would jump at the chance to take him. I think the WR talent is deep and would be happy to take one later if the situation called for it. I also like some trade down scenarios. There are so many good WRs in this draft I think we have the luxury of going many different directions. My hope is that before the 4th round ends, we have 2 new weapons for Lock.

Iím sure Iím in the minority. But Lamb scares the heck out of me. Heís very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and heís phenomenal at high pointing the ball and winning those 1 on 1 situations.

However his measurables are not to my liking. He is average height, average speed, below average vert. His college offense allowed him to shine especially when he was generally the best athlete on the field.

Jumping to the pros heís going to go from the best athlete on the field to a very average athlete on the field. Can he still excel at what he does best?

I have my reservations which Iím fully aware are not inline with the general group think.

Quote Originally Posted by kerkhoff1 View Post
    I’m sure I’m in the minority. But Lamb scares the heck out of me. He’s very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and he’s phenomenal at high pointing the ball and winning those 1 on 1 situations.

However his measurables are not to my liking. He is average height, average speed, below average vert. His college offense allowed him to shine especially when he was generally the best athlete on the field.

Jumping to the pros he’s going to go from the best athlete on the field to a very average athlete on the field. Can he still excel at what he does best?

I have my reservations which I’m fully aware are not inline with the general group think.
    Sounds like DeAndre Hopkins did coming out of Clemson...
    Average measurables , Average combine, coming out of that Clemson offense...

I would have to go with Cee Dee Lamb, I love Ruggs game but i think Lamb is a cant miss receiver