Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    Lock is definitely getting the ball out quick, and his mobility helps. But I also think Scangarello doesn't get enough credit for game planning with respect to this. Some of those plays today were beautifully designed.
    Right. The TD pass to Royce Freeman was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    Lock is definitely getting the ball out quick, and his mobility helps. But I also think Scangarello doesn't get enough credit for game planning with respect to this. Some of those plays today were beautifully designed.
    The TE screen play was my favourite play call of the day. I thought that was a well designed play and the Broncos executed it well. My second favourite play design was the third TD pass to Freeman, it's essentially an RPO play, the defense has to choose whether to go with the run action or pickup Freeman in the flats. On a third and long, or in a different part of the field and the defense makes the right play, but with only 3 yards to the end zone no way anyone deeper can rally to Freeman before he's into the end zone. Two very well designed plays, and both executed well.

And I do agree on the credit to Scangarello, he's taken a lot of flack from fans (myself very much included) for issues that have popped up this year, he deserves credit when he has a day like today. Hopefully he and the offence can keep the momentum going next week. With the Chefs wanting to send a lot of pressure the game plan should be heavy on screen passes.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Right. The TD pass to Royce Freeman was a good one.
    The TD to Huermann was a nice design as well. There are definitely some encouraging signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Another great set of stats 27 pass / 27 run plays (30 / 24 if you take out Lock improvising on pass plays) - good commitment to a balanced game.
    Lock completed 81% of his passes. Very, very efficient and decisive with the ball even with the 1 pick play.

The best part about the trick play: Lock didn't decide to just take a chance when he didn't need to (even though he'll learn Sutton was NFL open) and instead just decided to run the ball and live to fight another day.

Rifling passes in front of the outstretched hands of the Texans defensive backs, Denver Broncos quarterback Drew Lock didnt behave or play like a raw rookie.

The second-round draft pick looks and sounds ultra-confident and is now undefeated in his first two starts. Lock shredded an experienced Texans defense during a 38-24 victory Sunday at NRG Stadium as he completed 22 of 27 passes for 309 yards, three touchdowns and one interception with a 136.0 passer rating.

We didnt expect to get beat that way, Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph said of the lopsided nature of the game. It was very shocking. It was humbling.

Lock delivered a spiral to rookie tight end Noah Fant in the first quarter with just enough zip to get the football past Joseph as he tried to undercut the throw with the ensuing 48-yard catch-and-run setting up the Broncos first touchdown. Lock connected with Fant on a 14-yard strike over the middle behind Texans safety Jahleel Addae.

We were ready to rock and roll from the get-go, Lock said. We were fired-up. We were ready to go. It was exciting to be a part of.

Lock plays the game with a lot of energy and a somewhat brash style embraced by his teammates.

I'd like to think that my confidence is contagious, Lock said. I never want it to come off as arrogant. I want it to come off as fire. I'm having fun with the game we've all dreamed about playing since we were little kids.

Lock had completions of 48, 37, 29, 27 and 25 yards.

Youve got to give the kid credit, Texans safety Justin Reid said. He did a good job. He completed a high percentage of his passes.

Added Texans coach Bill OBrien: He did a good job. He played really well. He did a good job. They had a good plan. We had a hard time defending it. Give him a lot of credit, Drew and his teammates and their coaching staff, they did a real good job.

(Hou Chron)

"It was incredible," said linebacker Von Miller. "F---ing guy's a rock star -- they got to censor that -- he's on his way, I love that guy, it's going to be incredible."

At one point the rookie even broke out a Buzz Lightyear touchdown celebration as if he had a laser in the wristband.

"It was definitely fun with the Buzz Lightyear this week," Lock said. " ... The offensive line was like you should shoot the laser after you score a touchdown. I was like all right, I'll do it, we'll do it I think it was our walk-through Saturday, I think it was [center] Connor McGovern who said something about shooting the laser."

Asked if he liked the original Toy Story movie it was released in 1995, or the year before Lock was born the 23-year-old said: "I love that movie, all four of them, first one's the best, four was kind of said."

Lock didn't throw his third incompletion until almost halftime and the Broncos led 38-3 early in the third quarter. Overall, Denver's point total was the team's highest since a 45-10 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Oct. 18, 2018. Sunday's win was the first time the Broncos had a defensive touchdown in any game since that win over the Cardinals.

He is the fourth Broncos rookie quarterback to throw for at least 300 yards in a game. The guy who drafted him -- John Elway -- has the team's single-game rookie passing record with 345 yards against the Baltimore Colts in 1983.

Lock also became the first rookie in NFL history to have at least 300 yards passing and three touchdowns in his first road start.

Overall, Lock stayed composed against a defensive coaching staff that has manhandled rookie quarterbacks in the past. Coming into the day, Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel's teams were 11-1 against rookie quarterbacks.

(BTW, Jacoby Brissett, with NE, is the only QB to beat Romeo, before today).

Or as Broncos safety Kareem Jackson, who played nine seasons in Houston before signing with the Broncos last March, put. "He did a hell of a job."

(Legwold / ESPN)
    Last edited by fraguela09; 12-08-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Good promise early, not taking anything away from Lock. I need to see two things.

1) I need to see if he can bring the team from behind being down two scores.

2) i need to see if he is consistent once the game film is on him. 2 I won't be able to see until next year but d cords usually get a feel of a Qb around 6to 7 games in. Can he come in next year and win games putting up these type of numbers. Hey he does that I welcome him for the next decade or so.
    That is fine, but when he delivers on scores but the defense let's down the team but allowing the other team to score too, then it isn't just the QB's fault. Also, when the OC calls running plays and the series fizzles out. Yesterday, he has his first 3 and out in the 4th quarter with 10' left, MUCH better than with Flacco!
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    The most impressive stat:

2 games and 1 sack. After all the o-line concerns, hes only been sacked once
    Yes, and on that note one of the things that I see in him that I didn't see in other QBs here, is that he processes the whole field very quickly! He studies the defensive players' positions pre-snap and is just processing the data. It is hard to find people that are smart AND can process the data really fast. I remember Brian Griese played for the Broncos, all you heard about him was "how cognitive" he was as a person, but in the game he was slow to process in real time. You look at someone like Mahomes, he is processing the field very fast, same with Minshew.

Also, his release is really fast! This is a huge win for the o-line! This can prevent a lot of holding penalties because in 2-3 seconds, the ball is on its way out. This will probably save Bolles' job here (yes, that is what I believe) which is good because he is so athletic it works well for the running game, which I see that they are using him more for now.

I agree that a lot of credit should go to Rich Scangarello too! I am surprised how all of a sudden things changed? I wonder if it was Scans the one that calling the conservative plays the whole time and now, with his job on the line he stopped those plays and kept the petal to the floor? I don't think it was Vic, because he was vocal about it last week saying that something has to be changed. Either way, it's taken a little while but it took this whole year for the Broncos to find their players and the end result is that they have a really good team! A team that will now be feared, even on the road! Once we reload in the draft we'll be starting with a lot of questions already answered next year, just pick up where we left off.

This is quite a compliment from Bill O'Brian about Scans' play calling and Lock's play!
    Added Texans coach Bill O’Brien: “He did a good job. He played really well. He did a good job. They had a good plan. We had a hard time defending it. Give him a lot of credit, Drew and his teammates and their coaching staff, they did a real good job.”

I believe that even the players are going to be anxious in the off season to make/play for the Broncos next year with this defense and offense, I can see some players more willing to give a home town discount to see this out. I am thinking of some of our veteran players that are already well established in the community and are on their last contract. It is good to have some veteran experience in each position group.

It is an exciting day to be a Broncos fan for sure!!
    Last edited by haciendadad; 12-09-2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added quote

Two games, so I would slow the roll that he is the franchise QB, but he definitely looks good. This week will be a big test. Regardless, he is a huge improvement from the QB we started the season with. Lock has fire, energy, is mobile, strong arm, gunslinger. All the tangibles that our 1st QB never had. Just shows you how one guy (our 1st QB, won't use his name) can bring a whole offense down. I'm excited to see what the next three games bring. I win against KC and OK would be a great Christmas present.

And if Lock does work out, it opens our draft up for other concerns. Should get the fan base excited about next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    Two games, so I would slow the roll that he is the franchise QB, but he definitely looks good. This week will be a big test. Regardless, he is a huge improvement from the QB we started the season with. Lock has fire, energy, is mobile, strong arm, gunslinger. All the tangibles that our 1st QB never had. Just shows you how one guy (our 1st QB, won't use his name) can bring a whole offense down. I'm excited to see what the next three games bring. I win against KC and OK would be a great Christmas present.
    The whole "franchise QB" thing is one of the most overhyped phrases in sports. Because in reality there are maybe 5-10 (closer to 5) true franchise QBs in the NFL at any period of time. It would be great if Lock turns out to be one, but I'm good if he just turns out to be a good QB who helps them win games. Because you can win Super Bowls with good QBs who help you win games, you don't need a true franchise QB to do so.

Two examples from the last two years: Nick Foles is anything but a franchise QB (he is questionable as a starter) but he was good enough to help them win games. And Tom Brady, who is no longer a franchise QB (not a comment on his career but where he stands currently) and the Patriots have won Super Bowls with him not in the franchise QB realm...they actually have won before and after his turn as a franchise QB, and didn't win as many when he was truly a franchise QB.

And if Lock does work out, it opens our draft up for other concerns. Should get the fan base excited about next year as well.

I don't think the 2020 draft has anything to do with a QB. Even if he struggles in the last 3 games, he's shown enough in 2 games of action, and with how his teammates rally behind him, that I think he gets the full offseason, OTAs, TC and then preseason as the starting QB.

I actually Think Drew Lock will take it to the KC Chiefs !! Oh Yaaa WOW What A Great Time to be a Denver Bronco Fan ! We finally have a QB !! Yessssss !!

Yes, two games is a small sample and reason to be cautious about enshrining him in the position. Siemian looked good at times as a player who could develop but he consistently played timid. This I do not see in Lock but time will tell. At first blush he has the tangibles you look for and the areas that need work are areas that can be coached and he seems very receptive to coaching.

Add to that his infective attitude:

Id like to think that my confidence is contagious, Lock told the media after the game. I never want it to come off as arrogant. I want it to come off as fire. Im having fun with the game weve all dreamed about playing since we were little kids. And now that were here, why not have the most fun we can with the game we love? I dont want it to ever come off as arrogance.
    You cannot coach that desire to win and have fun while doing it. He's got it in spades. He's fun to watch. Guys want to play with and for him. Fans want to watch him.

Broncos football has been absolutely fun again for the last two weeks and not just because of the Ws but having a guy in a position that is effective. His Red Zone efficiency, 3rd down conversions (especially in the RZ) ball placement, touch, decision making on the field have been good even for a veteran. He's only in 2 games.

Ah, forget it, he's the QBOTF.

Maybe.

This just emphasizes how bad Flacco was! Flacco's gone and Denver starts winning with rookie Quarterbacks no less.