Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wonder what our record would be if we had a better punter this year. Sounds like a stupid question but with all the last second field goal and second half collapses / close games, it's hard to think all our opponents wouldn't have scored at least a few less points.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Elway has been horrible at finding punters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Not an Elway thing at all. It's a Broncos thing. They've had bad punters for a long time. Tom Rouen was good early in his career, but was really bad 2 of his last 3 seasons in Denver. Todd Sauerbrun in 2005 was probably the last really good season for a Denver punter, and his average that year was down almost 4 full yards from his best season in Carolina. And then he got stupid off of the field.
    I think we concentrate on offense and defense when drafting/signing player and special teams is an after thought, if ever....
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

What they should do is try to recruit rugby players from down under. The players in this sport are trained to kick an oblong shaped ball from various angles. Not saying they are ALL great at it, but its better than what is being put on the field now. Plus they can bring an added dimension of running the ball from an option style system. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    What they should do is try to recruit rugby players from down under. The players in this sport are trained to kick an oblong shaped ball from various angles. Not saying they are ALL great at it, but its better than what is being put on the field now. Plus they can bring an added dimension of running the ball from an option style system. IMO
    I truly like this idea. Cause it sure can’t be worse then what we’ve seen the last decade or more

I think you want Australian Football not rugby. There own style of football is mainly punting all the main scores the field goals and moving the ball down field is mainly done through punting

What Baffles me is every time an opposing team comes in here their punter seems to have no problem sailing a 70 yard plus punt therefore it seems Denver's own Starting line is like on the 5 yard line every single time except when Denver punts at Home the kick only goes for 35 yards lol like where is the Home Field Advantage at if Denver cannot take advantage of it ( The Higher Elevation ) ?

The rollout rugby punt is as advantageous in the NFL because the linemen can't leave to go down the field until after the kick. In college and HS a rugby punt works because the line and long snapper can leave immediately after the snap, so you get the coverage immediately with the shield able to protect.

It's still doable, but the advantages just aren't as high.

But some of those Aussies do have cannons. And I believe the Aussie football is significantly heavier than the American football, so it would be an easier kick in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I think we concentrate on offense and defense when drafting/signing player and special teams is an after thought, if ever....
    I would agree that as an organization Denver has never given Special Teams the attention that it needs. Compare that to Seattle and New England who spend a lot of time on Special Teams and create big plays from them which changes the game. New England has blocked 4 punts so far this year, there's nothing quite as demoralizing as a blocked punt, and on the other side uplifting.

Meanwhile in 2013 the Seahawks gave up a grand total of 82 yards on punt returns. That's on 74 punts, where 30 resulted in fair catches, 2 went out of bounds and 5 were touchbacks. So they gave up 82 yards on 37 punt returns. That's an incredible stat. That changes games when you're basically guaranteeing that the opposition will be getting the ball 40 yards from where you kicked it from. That's truly flipping the field.

Quote Originally Posted by bfallona View Post
    The Denver Broncos are bringing in potential competition for punter Colby Wadman, and they are bringing in former quarterback Frank Tripucka’s grandson.
    Former Texas A&M punter Shane Tripucka had a tryout for the Broncos, according to Mike Klis of 9News.

In 27 games at Texas A&M, Tripucka punted 154 times for 6,826 yards. He averaged 44.3 yards per punt during his collegiate career. Tripucka was previously with the Los Angeles Chargers.
    Wadman has not only been scary but ranks at or near the bottom of the 32 teams in the entire NFL!
    I am NOT defending wadman (i honestly dont think its possible) however judging by http://www.nfl.com/player/colbywadma...44/careerstats 44.3 is EXACTLY THE SAME as Wadman

so I guess maybe Shane is just possibly cheaper?
    Sept. 10, 2006, Den@StL 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, Den@K.C. 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, Den@Stl 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Quote Originally Posted by ozzies94ta View Post
    I am NOT defending wadman (i honestly dont think its possible) however judging by http://www.nfl.com/player/colbywadma...44/careerstats 44.3 is EXACTLY THE SAME as Wadman

so I guess maybe Shane is just possibly cheaper?
    Have no idea what will happen. Denver may draft a Punter. However, it would be cool to see Tripucka on the back of a Bronco jersey again.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Have no idea what will happen. Denver may draft a Punter. However, it would be cool to see Tripucka on the back of a Bronco jersey again.
    As he was before my time, I just know him from name and stories from there board alone.
    Sept. 10, 2006, Den@StL 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, Den@K.C. 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, Den@Stl 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Yes it would... cps x3 if I could
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Do we have a new punter?????
    Oh wait, he wouldn't be able to play this week anyways would he?
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I think you want Australian Football not rugby. There own style of football is mainly punting all the main scores the field goals and moving the ball down field is mainly done through punting
    I know all about footy! I have been a die hard fan for decades. You are correct in that punting is how trys are scored. I guess my point is that we need help in both punting and place kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The rollout rugby punt is as advantageous in the NFL because the linemen can't leave to go down the field until after the kick. In college and HS a rugby punt works because the line and long snapper can leave immediately after the snap, so you get the coverage immediately with the shield able to protect.

It's still doable, but the advantages just aren't as high.

But some of those Aussies do have cannons. And I believe the Aussie football is significantly heavier than the American football, so it would be an easier kick in theory.
    Absolutely! Look at the punter for Seattle. He is truly a weapon for them.