NFL Network's 100 All-time Team TE...No Sharpe & No Gates...WHAT A JOKE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mainrnxile
    Starter
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    That's probably why he got in. Not sure what it has to do with being a great tight end, but you're probably right. If post playing career success is part of the criteria, Ozzie Newsome probably should've been voted in ahead of him anyway. He's only one of the best GMs in league history on top of being more deserving statistically. What's worse is they took 2 tight ends from the 60's, and nobody from the 90's unless you count Gonzalez.
    Yeah, I’m more surprised by Ditka than Mackey. Hard not to include sharp & Gates.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
      team preacher
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
      Incorrect.

Sharpe had 1197 targets, while Gronk had 794 targets. And Gronk played in 115 games, while Sharpe played in 204...and yet Gronk had way more TDs. If Gronk played in the same number of games as Sharpe, his numbers would be approximately;

15,600 yards
      160 TDs
      1040 receptions

These numbers would blow Sharpe's numbers out the water...
      Gronk is the most dominant TE to play the game. That doesn’t mean Sharpe isn’t top 5.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• TommyBrady12
        Practice Squad
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        Gronk is the most dominant TE to play the game. That doesn’t mean Sharpe isn’t top 5.
        He probably deserves to be in the top 5, but I can't stand him since he has nothing good to say about NE on TV...
        Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• Spice 1
          Football Immortal
          • Sep 2004

He probably deserves to be in the top 5, but I can't stand him since he has nothing good to say about NE on TV...
          Now you know why we hated Heath Evans. McGinest isn't much better.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
            Practice Squad
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            Now you know why we hated Heath Evans. McGinest isn't much better.
            They are pro-patriot for sure, but they are not anti-other teams the way Sharpe is with NE. He spends more time hating on us than talking about his old teams Broncos and Ravens.
            Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• Spice 1
              Football Immortal
              • Sep 2004

They are pro-patriot for sure, but they are not anti-other teams the way Sharpe is with NE. He spends more time hating on us than talking about his old teams Broncos and Ravens.
              In his defense, I will say that he does have to sit across from a guy who probably has a Tom Brady blow up doll in his bedroom.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                team preacher
                • Mar 2008

Evans was a Broncos hater through and through. Listening to him eat crow after the Broncos won the Super Bowl was fantastic.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• DevilSpawn
                  versus you
                  • Mar 2006

Ditka was a given. He was the first tight end voted to the Hall of Fame. I can't comment on his numbers but you hear about his impact all the time. Being the "first" as the game was being shaped kinda makes the player immune to what his numbers were compared to other eras.

John Mackey was the second TE voted to the HOF, but he was a certified beast.

I agree on the old time bias being incorrect, in some cases. The thing that's unfair to the new school is that they can't help if Ditka came first or if the game being pass happy inflates their numbers. They were still the best at their position at their time, and I'm specifically talking about Sharpe and Gates.

This was a highly debated list. I would personally replace Ditka with Gates or Sharpe but that's because I never saw Iron Mike play, which is not his fault. Kellen Winslow deserves to be there. I remember him as the best at his position during his time but on a personal perhaps biased note, I always felt Todd Christensen rivaled him during part of his career.

Comment

• jazzbodog
                    Football Immortal
                    • Aug 2007

Here's a stat someone could attempt to determine. How many players have there been in the NFL since the 1950's? Is the ratio 100 of the x factor of players realistic or fair? Out of the tens of thousands of NFL players to play, my question is why the "Top 100"?

I believe it should be the "Top 200", that way a lot of the controversy goes away, IMO!
                    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                      Practice Squad
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
                      Here's a stat someone could attempt to determine. How many players have there been in the NFL since the 1950's? Is the ratio 100 of the x factor of players realistic or fair? Out of the tens of thousands of NFL players to play, my question is why the "Top 100"?

I believe it should be the "Top 200", that way a lot of the controversy goes away, IMO!
                      Top 100 because it's the 100th anniversary of the NFL. In the year 2119, we'll get the top 200 players.

Comment

• jazzbodog
                        Football Immortal
                        • Aug 2007

Top 100 because it's the 100th anniversary of the NFL. In the year 2119, we'll get the top 200 players.
                        Not only will there not be an NFL in 2119 there won't be a planet earth, at least as we know it today. Climate change will doom us in by then due to overwhelming poisonous air and rising seas. Every coastal NFL city will be under water and lots of it.

If there is an NFL existing in 2119 all of the coastal teams will need to relocate to the inner United States and high tech gas masks will be standard equipment for all human beings in the stadium.
                        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• mct1967
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                          Yeah, I’m more surprised by Ditka than Mackey. Hard not to include sharp & Gates.
                          Thank you for being a Pats fan with more of a sensible brain...as opposed to your other Patriots cohort, here. You have some objectivity and rationality to your posts....that other guy...not so much.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                            Practice Squad
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mct1967 View Post
                            Thank you for being a Pats fan with more of a sensible brain...as opposed to your other Patriots cohort, here. You have some objectivity and rationality to your posts....that other guy...not so much.
                            Why are you constantly making assumptions about my thinking? I never once said Sharpe or Gates dont deserve to be top 5...

Comment

• jazzbodog
                              Football Immortal
                              • Aug 2007

Why are you constantly making assumptions about my thinking? I never once said Sharpe or Gates dont deserve to be top 5...
                              There you go again completely missing the point. Your previous statements prove you cannot be openly objective regarding anything remotely negative about the Patriots. Everyone knows, in your mind, the Patriots / Staff cannot do anything wrong and if it appears they may have, you minimize it and blow it off as unwarranted or extremely trivial. Like jaywalking or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. I'll speak for myself but if the truth were known, there are many that would agree with me in that, as soon as I see a post starting with QUOTE=TommyBrady12, I assume it will be stinking cow pie nonsense from a self righteous Pansy fan that will say anything to proclaim unrealistic greatness for a clan of classless cheaters.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                                Practice Squad
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
                                There you go again completely missing the point. Your previous statements prove you cannot be openly objective regarding anything remotely negative about the Patriots. Everyone knows, in your mind, the Patriots / Staff cannot do anything wrong and if it appears they may have, you minimize it and blow it off as unwarranted or extremely trivial. Like jaywalking or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. I'll speak for myself but if the truth were known, there are many that would agree with me in that, as soon as I see a post starting with QUOTE=TommyBrady12, I assume it will be stinking cow pie nonsense from a self righteous Pansy fan that will say anything to proclaim unrealistic greatness for a clan of classless cheaters.
                                Nothing to do with all time TEs and this particular thread. Try again.

Comment

Working...
                                X