NFL Network's 100 All-time Team TE...No Sharpe & No Gates...WHAT A JOKE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mct1967
    Ring of Famer
    • Sep 2008

NFL Network's 100 All-time Team TE...No Sharpe & No Gates...WHAT A JOKE!!!

Those guys who do the voting at NFL Network for this 100 All-Time Team are biased fools! They've gotten a lot of flack for focusing too much on 20th century players and ignoring 21st century players and the TE list is even MORE RIDICULOUS!!!

Tony Gonzalez....of course....#1 in just about all categories.

Gronk.....short career, missed a lot of games with injuries....but ok....an unstoppable force.

John Mackey....hmmmmmm....old school domination....maybe, but I say NO. Should be Shannon Sharpe. Shannon had much, much better numbers.

Kellen Winslow....ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Look at his numbers and rankings. Doesn't even belong in a Top 10 list. Should've been Antonio Gates.

Mike Ditka.....ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Weak, weak numbers. Should've been Ozzie Newsome.

What's funny is fans voted on the after-show just like my list. The old geezers voting on this 100 All-time team are getting way too caught up in the guys they used to watch, long ago. The voting panel needs some newer blood.
    Last edited by mct1967; 12-13-2019, 08:41 PM.
  • jazzbodog
    Football Immortal
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by mct1967 View Post
    Those guys who do the voting at NFL Network for this 100 All-Time Team are biased fools! They've gotten a lot of flack for focusing too much on 20th century players and ignoring 21st century players and the TE list is even MORE RIDICULOUS!!!

Tony Gonzalez....of course....#1 in just about all categories.

Gronk.....short career, missed a lot of games with injuries....but ok....an unstoppable force.

John Mackey....hmmmmmm....old school domination....maybe, but I say NO. Should be Shannon Sharpe. Shannon had much, much better numbers.

Kellen Winslow....ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Look at his numbers and rankings. Doesn't even belong in a Top 10 list. Should've been Antonio Gates.

Mike Ditka.....ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Weak, weak numbers. Should've been Ozzie Newsome.

What's funny is fans voted on the after-show just like my list. The old geezers voting on this 100 All-time team are getting way too caught up in the guys they used to watch, long ago. The voting panel needs some newer blood.
    This is why ALL award shows, aka popularity contests, SUCK, IMO.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• mct1967
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2008

And even if you look only at the numbers.....you could make an argument that Gronk should be removed from the list and replaced with Jason Witten. I've watched all the episodes of this show and I agree with most of their picks, for the most part.....but the TE list is WAY out of whack!

Comment

• baphamet
        Family Trust Beer
        • Nov 2006

You think that’s bad look at their RB’s lol

It’s a joke, they try too hard to give credit to the old Skool players but they quite frankly are not the athletes some of the more recent players are.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
          Practice Squad
          • Jan 2014

Any list that keeps Shannon Sharpe off is a good list to me...

And I'm sure Elway will miss the top 5 all time QB list and you people will go ballistic ...
          Last edited by TommyBrady12; 12-14-2019, 09:49 AM.
          Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• atwaterandstir
            Football Immortal
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
            Any list that keeps Shannon Sharpe off is a good list to me...

And I'm sure Elway will miss the top 5 all time QB list and you people will go ballistic ...
            Ironic you would use ballistic....

“President, we need the National Guard, we need as many men as you can spare, because we are killing the Patriots!”

Comment

• Spice 1
              Football Immortal
              • Sep 2004

This is the only formula I can come up with that makes any sense for this.
              - Top 5 in both TDs and YDS PG (So there's Gronkowski and Gonzalez)
              - 2 old guys from the 60s-70's not named Jackie Smith (Ditka and Mackey)
              - 1 guy from the 70s-80s not named Ozzie Newsome (Winslow)

80s and 90s don't get theirs, I guess.
              Last edited by Spice 1; 12-14-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                Practice Squad
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                This is the only formula I can come up with that makes any sense for this.
                - Top 5 in both TDs and YDS PG (So there's Gronkowski and Gonzalez)
                - 2 old guys from the 60s-70's not named Jackie Smith (Ditka and Mackey)
                - 1 guy from the 70s-80s not named Ozzie Newsome (Winslow)

80s and 90s don't get theirs, I guess.

Here's a crazy stat I saw while researching:
                - Shannon Sharpe has more receptions and receiving yards than Rob Gronkowski despite being targeted 357 fewer times. Sharpe was targeted 438 times IN HIS CAREER. lol. If Sharpe had another 357 targets, he would be somewhere in the top 3 in touchdowns, first or second in yards, and probably 1st in receptions. If he was targeted as much as Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Greg Olsen, Jimmy Graham, or Vernon Davis, he would've been first in everything. This is assuming he didn't get hurt, but yeah. Even if he did, he only needed another 400 targets to get into the top 2 in virtually everything.

He also won more Super Bowls than Gronkowski, because Gronkowski didn't play against the Falcons.
                Incorrect.

Sharpe had 1197 targets, while Gronk had 794 targets. And Gronk played in 115 games, while Sharpe played in 204...and yet Gronk had way more TDs. If Gronk played in the same number of games as Sharpe, his numbers would be approximately;

15,600 yards
                160 TDs
                1040 receptions

These numbers would blow Sharpe's numbers out the water...
                Last edited by TommyBrady12; 12-14-2019, 11:08 AM.
                Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• Spice 1
                  Football Immortal
                  • Sep 2004

Incorrect.

Sharpe had 1197 targets, while Gronk had 794 targets. And Gronk played in 115 games, while Sharpe played in 204...and yet Gronk had way more TDs. If Gronk played in the same number of games as Sharpe, his numbers would be approximately;

15,600 yards
                  160 TDs
                  1040 receptions

These numbers would blow Sharpe's numbers out the window...
                  The website I used for target data posted his targets wrong. I should've checked it as soon as I saw it, because of how low it was.

Tony Gonzalez has the most career yards on receptions by a tight end, with 15,127 yards.

lol. I didn't even cross reference it to his receptions or Gronk's receptions.
                  Last edited by Spice 1; 12-14-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                    Practice Squad
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                    The website I used for target data posted his targets wrong. I should've checked it as soon as I saw it, because of how low it was.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=m...t+end+all-time
                    A website that lists Sharpe has having more receptions than targets is probably not a good one...

Comment

• Spice 1
                      Football Immortal
                      • Sep 2004

A website that lists Sharpe has having more receptions than targets is probably not a good one...
                      Yeah, it's hard to get about 400 more receptions than targets, but that was the first site I hit that had a TE leader comparison that let me specify target data. I just noticed they don't even have Mackey on there either.
                      Last edited by Spice 1; 12-14-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                        Banned User
                        • Oct 2003

This is the problem comparing players in different decades. Gronk played under modern pass happy rules so of course he is going to have better numbers then Sharpe, that doesn't mean he is a better player though.

When Sharpe was playing defenders could grab him all the way down the field, with Gronk they couldn't lay a hand on him or the flag would be out.

Completely pointless debating players from different eras, whatever the position is.

Comment

• Mainrnxile
                          Starter
                          • Dec 2015

I haven’t followed this series, So not sure what criteria was used - but Mackey was a stud TE and went on to become first NFLPA president. His impact on the NFL is unquestionable.

Looking at some of the other lists, there are several head scratchers.

Comment

• Mainrnxile
                            Starter
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            This is the problem comparing players in different decades. Gronk played under modern pass happy rules so of course he is going to have better numbers then Sharpe, that doesn't mean he is a better player though.

When Sharpe was playing defenders could grab him all the way down the field, with Gronk they couldn't lay a hand on him or the flag would be out.

Completely pointless debating players from different eras, whatever the position is.
                            Apparently You haven’t watched many of Gronk’s games - he was absolutely mugged on just about every play.

No doubt, he gave as good as he got, but it was ridiculous what defenders got away with on him.

Comment

• Spice 1
                              Football Immortal
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                              I haven’t followed this series, So not sure what criteria was used - but Mackey was a stud TE and went on to become first NFLPA president. His impact on the NFL is unquestionable.

Looking at some of the other lists, there are several head scratchers.
                              That's probably why he got in. Not sure what it has to do with being a great tight end, but you're probably right. If post playing career success is part of the criteria, Ozzie Newsome probably should've been voted in ahead of him anyway. He's only one of the best GMs in league history on top of being more deserving statistically. What's worse is they took 2 tight ends from the 60's, and nobody from the 90's unless you count Gonzalez.

Comment

Working...
                              X