View Poll Results: What Position Do We Draft With Our #1 Pick?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

0 0%
  • RB

0 0%
  • WR

9 18.00%
  • TE

0 0%
  • OT

27 54.00%
  • OG

1 2.00%
  • C

3 6.00%
  • DT

1 2.00%
  • DE

0 0%
  • OLB

0 0%
  • ILB

1 2.00%
  • CB

8 16.00%
  • S

0 0%
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

What Position Do We Draft With Our #1 Pick?

Lots of discussion about this, So I wanted to see if a poll would make this any clearer, to us as a group (even though we don't make the selections).

I am sticking with Offensive Tackle. I want a guy who can come in and fortify "the fort", to in my opinion, support/protect Lock for at least 10 years, and help our backs gain loads of yards! Our Oline may not be lower end these days, but I believe we need one more quality player, ideally at LT.

My second choice is WR, to give us a truly dynamic tandem with Sutton, and again, help Lock be more successful.

From there it's probably CB. In fact, pending on how things go, if the 3rd round looks as good as I believe, we could maybe go CB and then WR.

Beyond OT and WR, I want us to go D for a number of picks. BPA ideally.

What say you?

I was leaning OT, but we have an unusual abundance of picks in that "beefy" area of the 2-3rd Rd where Oline talent is still available. I voted CB as we can see how critical it is to be able to play with the Chiefs for the next decade. CHJ is either on the way out or out soon. If we can get a top young CB with superior upside that would help us out tremendously.

As for the rest of the draft, with 5 picks in the top 100 it would sure be nice to get a couple Olineman, a DT, WR, and a CB. We could use some help in all these areas.

Depending on what happens with comps I saw where we could have as many as 11 total selections with 5 in the top 100. This might be a year where we take a few "chances" late in the draft on some talented guys who have fallen for some sort of character/injury history or other issues that could have big upside.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I was leaning OT, but we have an unusual abundance of picks in that "beefy" area of the 2-3rd Rd where Oline talent is still available. I voted CB as we can see how critical it is to be able to play with the Chiefs for the next decade. CHJ is either on the way out or out soon. If we can get a top young CB with superior upside that would help us out tremendously.

As for the rest of the draft, with 5 picks in the top 100 it would sure be nice to get a couple Olineman, a DT, WR, and a CB. We could use some help in all these areas.

Depending on what happens with comps I saw where we could have as many as 11 total selections with 5 in the top 100. This might be a year where we take a few "chances" late in the draft on some talented guys who have fallen for some sort of character/injury history or other issues that could have big upside.
    I like your assessment.

Obviously a lot depends on what we do in free agency, but I would be surprised if it was not a OT or a WR. I see those 2 positions as our biggest needs.

CB as well but I don't see the value where we will pick, 10-12, and see us grabbing one in round 2 or 3

I didn't see "other"? Right now I can only rule out some positions. QB, TE, RB I would rule out drafting in the 1st round. Also it does depend on what Denver does in FA, a S could possibly be ruled out too. The Broncos definitely need an OT, probably a LT but it is foolish to draft one in the first no matter what. Other high needs are CB and WR.

The best player that is a LT, CB or WR(the #2/3 WR is probably a better prospect than the #2 OT/LT)... it will depend on what the teams in front of Denver pick.

I say go WR. This team needs to score more points and another speedy receiver could do that. Neutralize kc's offense with our own shoot out weapons. We have the talent in place, now we just need a player to take it over the top. If were going to draft a OT we should move down and get a couple in the top 2 rnds.

BPA between corner, OT & DT.

BTW....I concur with those who say, depends on some things...like FA. I like doing polls, and in this case, I interpret the draft a little different than FA. In general, I believe FA and The Draft serve different requirements, but that would not be true each and every time. At minimum, I want to use the draft for players that I want to grow and mentor, and be lifers here. I love the idea of building a great corps of young men, to grow together as a unit, and play the way we want our players to play, and yes, behave.

On the other hand, if there are some real needs that are better served via FA, I would go there, but almost always at a decent price. I typically am good with DTs in FA, because they tend to take time, so in my books, sign one who has passed that hurdle. Just me perhaps.

Regardless, do your best with this. Given we may have a reasonably high first rounder, which position do you fill.....knowing we may have that player for at least a decade!

I tend to lean towards a WR in the first personally. I love CeeDee Lamb as a prospect and I think him and a speedy FA WR would be huge. Then come back in the 2nd round and go after whatever OT that drops because hes raw.

I say this because I havent seen much growth from our WRs outside of Sutton. I think a big part of that is the coaching. Sutton had a ton of natural talent to begin with and was once considered a top 10 lock early on at SMU. While the line hasnt been great this year, Munchak has proven himself to be a great oline coach so Id feel more comfortable giving him a piece of clay to mold than I would our WR coach. And CeeDee Lamb already has a high floor IMO with an incredibly high ceiling.

In the same breath you could probably say the same about CB (maybe because our DB coach was a S?), but there are some names scheduled to be FAs such as Byron Jones, Kendall Fuller, Trae Waynes, Mackenzie Alexander, Ronald Darby, Eli Apple, even Bradley Roby. Not the most elite group but some proven guys and some young guys who have played well at various points. Get one of them and then hit the position again in the 3rd and/or 4th round and hope they stick.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 12-18-2019 at 06:57 PM.

It really is tough to say where to go with the 1st pick without knowing what happens in FA. We have Elway, so we know some big moves are going to be attempted. I'm going to assume that a WR, CB, O-lineman and D-lineman will be signed in FA. That doesn't mean that any of those positions will be passed on with the top pick but having those in the back pocket that gives flexibility to the draft.

I'm going to say that our top pick will be an OT. I think Bolles is pushed over to G to give him one last chance to see if he can be affective. Building that line has to be top priority no matter what. If Lock is going to succeed it starts there. If he falls on his face then at least we have a line in place for the next project (hopefully not obviously). I want so bad for Drew to be the long term answer. I think he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. He has the make-up to be a solid starter so let's do everything to get him there

If we ignore offensive line again, and we don't add some high round talent, Elway has rocks in his head. We cannot continue to trot Bolles out there at left tackle, and we cannot spend big on offensive lineman again, Leary and James have been horrible signings taking up too much cap room producing sub par play. Risner has shown young guys can come in an play well at that position, go and do that again or continue to operate one of the leagues worst offenses, again. Elway needs to give Munchak the green light and get out of his way allowing him to choose some offensive lineman, now.

Trying to add FA OL has been a failure for us for a long time. We end up overpaying for the best OL we can get at the given position that another team has let go. This is really hurting us cause we really aren't getting the value for the money and it has become swinging door for FA from year to year. We now have Munchak to help pick them and too coach them up. I believe we have to make this our top priority and turn one of our biggest concerns into one of our biggest assets. Fortify the line. I think our first pick should be the best LT on the board. Maybe try Bolles at guard. Then I would love to come back and pick another OL with either our 2nd or 1 of our 3rds. Lets protect our young qb so he can develop and help him out with a great run game. After that I would love to see CB, ILB, WR with the other pics in the top 5 depending on who we pick up in FA.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 12-18-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I voted OT. I really do believe we need to see who is available when we pick and we are in love with a guy before that we need to strongly consider what it would take to move up and get him. I am not talking trading up 8 or 9 picks.

I mean seriously we all know we need an OT, CB,WR, and OG. A playmaker LB and DT would also be nice. That is a lot of options. Surely one of those will available in the first round that can significantly make our team better.

I didn't include QB because I still want to see if Lock can develop. It is an obvious need if Lock doesn't develop.

Denver has to Invest in it's O-Line so that Equals to Drafting an OL in the 1st for sure. Look at Nelson from The Colts or even look at SF Line. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Denver has to Invest in it's O-Line so that Equals to Drafting an OL in the 1st for sure. Look at Nelson from The Colts or even look at SF Line. Just saying.
    The Nelson acquisition, as a Guard, was one of the best selections of that draft. Ironically, Indy also selected Darius Leonard, who was a first team all pro as a rookie!!!

Where does that draft stand, based on just those 2 acquisitions alone!!!