View Poll Results: What Position Do We Draft With Our #1 Pick?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

0 0%
  • RB

0 0%
  • WR

9 18.00%
  • TE

0 0%
  • OT

27 54.00%
  • OG

1 2.00%
  • C

3 6.00%
  • DT

1 2.00%
  • DE

0 0%
  • OLB

0 0%
  • ILB

1 2.00%
  • CB

8 16.00%
  • S

0 0%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    He absolutely needs to take a different approach, like let his position coaches make the pics? Or at least listen to them when they have some information. Everyone here knows that Bolles needs stripped of his starting role at LT but I have a nasty gut feeling he is staying....
    Reports were that McCoy was behind the Bolles pick, but at the end of the day, the good ones, the bad ones, Elway is the head so he gets the praise and the credit. And yes, I think when it comes down to the pick, if Elway decides offensive line is what he wants, he should let Munchak pick it. I don't know about at other spots, but offensive line hasn't been good to Elway, so I think with Munchak as a resource, you use it, and rely on it.

I continue to believe that OT, DL, CB or Simmons from Clemson, will be the direction we go in the first round. I would prefer OT but that depends on if one of the top prospects slide. I don't think that will happen. I also don't think Simmons will fall. That leaves DL or CB. And I think that Elway and Fangio want to build up the trenches. And it seems like they are ok going with Bolles at LT, they paid James for RT, they have Risner, and they won't go G or C in round one. That, to me, means, DL. So, ultimately, as of now, I think DL will be our first round pick. Of course, free agency can alter that.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    I continue to believe that OT, DL, CB or Simmons from Clemson, will be the direction we go in the first round. I would prefer OT but that depends on if one of the top prospects slide. I don't think that will happen. I also don't think Simmons will fall. That leaves DL or CB. And I think that Elway and Fangio want to build up the trenches. And it seems like they are ok going with Bolles at LT, they paid James for RT, they have Risner, and they won't go G or C in round one. That, to me, means, DL. So, ultimately, as of now, I think DL will be our first round pick. Of course, free agency can alter that.
    why not CB?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    why not CB?
    I think CB is a possibility, but I just think that they want to build up the lines first and foremost. Plus, I get the feeling that cornerback is a position they are going to target in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    I think CB is a possibility, but I just think that they want to build up the lines first and foremost. Plus, I get the feeling that cornerback is a position they are going to target in free agency.
    I think the Dline will depend on if they keep Wolfe and harris. If they sign them both then I don't think Dline will be a first round pick. If they let at least 1 of them go, then it's a much bigger possibility.

If Chris harris leaves, then I think CB is the biggest need and thus the most likely pick in round 1. They very well might sign 1 in FA but the odds of getting a real solid player are slim

I think the Dline will depend on if they keep Wolfe and harris. If they sign them both then I don't think Dline will be a first round pick. If they let at least 1 of them go, then it's a much bigger possibility.

If Chris harris leaves, then I think CB is the biggest need and thus the most likely pick in round 1. They very well might sign 1 in FA but the odds of getting a real solid player are slim
    I really hope we do not go DT in early rounds. They usually take at least 2 often 3 years to develop. I think we have needs that, if taken care of, will better us much quicker. That is why I'd go FA if we have a DT need. DE is different, though not an early choice for me. But in that regard, I think we will add depth to our pass rushing at some point in FA and/or The Draft.

There are a lot of first round CB's that bomb, too.
    It depends on the player.

I'm just going with what I see and hear. We may not be able to bring back Harris and Wolfe, depending on the price. Wolfe, because of his injury, could be had at a cheaper deal, possibly. For the record, I would prefer to address DL and ILB in free agency, and CB, OL, and WR in the draft. I stated that in another thread, along with a list of players I'd like them to sign.

I just predict what I think Elway and Fangio will do. That's why last year, although I wanted Andre Dillard, I had them trade down and take Noah Fant, which they did, in my mock. I just go with what I see, hear, read, etc. Obviously, after free agency, that can all change.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I really hope we do not go DT in early rounds. They usually take at least 2 often 3 years to develop. I think we have needs that, if taken care of, will better us much quicker. That is why I'd go FA if we have a DT need. DE is different, though not an early choice for me. But in that regard, I think we will add depth to our pass rushing at some point in FA and/or The Draft.
    I agree for the most part. They were talking about it on the radio the other day. Don't remember who, but his point was that if Wolfe and harris wlk in FA then they may need that Dline help early in the draft so that the team can maintain it's strength which is the defense. There is some merit to that thought process.

I am still hoping for Oline but if CHJ, Wolfe, and Shelby Harris all leave there will be huge holes on the defense, even bigger than Oline.

Tyler Biadasz and Jedrick Wills might be the best 2 options at Oline at 15.

Defensive tackle is one of those positions where you are probably not going to get an immediate impact from day 1, and this draft needs immediate impact players. Defensive tackles traditionally take longer to develop, and history shows Elway has had most success adding defensive tackles in free agency. Elway actually has hit on a couple guys in free agency, low level guys, and they have cashed in big on their playing time in Denver. Guys like Broderick Bunnkley, Terrance Knighton, and now probably Shelby Harris. I would be more inclined to look to the free agency pool to add guys who have more mature bodies and strength, guys who will help from day 1.

Another factor to weigh up I believe is the contract differential between positions. You could add some mid level defensive tackles in free agency for reasonable amounts, yet at cornerback and offensive tackle, you are severely overpaying for them based on the impact they will offer. So I believe it's smart to add those other positions, cornerback and offensive tackle in the early rounds, develop them, and look to free agency for defensive tackles. Also you will get more immediate impact from the other two spots, in most cases given the right players are chosen.

I agree for the most part. They were talking about it on the radio the other day. Don't remember who, but his point was that if Wolfe and harris wlk in FA then they may need that Dline help early in the draft so that the team can maintain it's strength which is the defense. There is some merit to that thought process.

I am still hoping for Oline but if CHJ, Wolfe, and Shelby Harris all leave there will be huge holes on the defense, even bigger than Oline.

I have seen several mocks that have Wills being the first OT taken now. Not sure how/why Thomas has maybe dropped? If they are accurate than Thomas would have a better chance or being there at 15... not that I think its possible.

Interesting. But I am not sure that the D will be our strength, if we solidify the Oline and find another WR or two....and lose some D talent. Therefore I see a need for more immediate help on D, short term and long. And as for DT, I am hoping immediate impact via FA.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Defensive tackle is one of those positions where you are probably not going to get an immediate impact from day 1, and this draft needs immediate impact players. Defensive tackles traditionally take longer to develop, and history shows Elway has had most success adding defensive tackles in free agency. Elway actually has hit on a couple guys in free agency, low level guys, and they have cashed in big on their playing time in Denver. Guys like Broderick Bunnkley, Terrance Knighton, and now probably Shelby Harris. I would be more inclined to look to the free agency pool to add guys who have more mature bodies and strength, guys who will help from day 1.

Another factor to weigh up I believe is the contract differential between positions. You could add some mid level defensive tackles in free agency for reasonable amounts, yet at cornerback and offensive tackle, you are severely overpaying for them based on the impact they will offer. So I believe it's smart to add those other positions, cornerback and offensive tackle in the early rounds, develop them, and look to free agency for defensive tackles. Also you will get more immediate impact from the other two spots, in most cases given the right players are chosen.
    I definitely agree with you. I did a study (for what it's worth) maybe 5 or more years ago, and the results showed that DTs, including fairly high picks, took about 3 seasons to develop. Maybe my methodology was suspect, but basically it was quite obvious when calibrating draft picks, and when they became decent performers.

So yes, I like your take, that we save some coin and sign a mid level DT via FA, and spend our good, long term coin on Oline. Maybe acquire 2 DTs that way, and give us depth over big contract. And yes as well, a top tier Oliner, CB, WR (or several other positions if we were in need) can make a good impact in year one. Look at the impact of Nelson and Darius Leonard in Indy - all stars overnight!!. DTs do not have that likelihood. OK, if someone said this is the next Aaron Brown, I might rethink the situation. But very low odds.

So...DT in FA, and immediate impact players in positions of need earlier in the draft....supplemented with BPA types later on in the draft, in almost any position.

So...DT in FA, and immediate impact players in positions of need earlier in the draft....supplemented with BPA types later on in the draft, in almost any position.
    I am not against early defensive tackles like some were years ago here when the conversation was Dareus or Fairley, and Von was the pick. I just think for our situation right now, with the money already tied up in the offensive line, the bloated contract landscape for offensive lineman and cornerbacks, and the immediate impact history of certain spots, it just makes sense to stay away from defensive tackle early. I still think signing a high price free agent cornerback is a good idea, but I also think then double dipping at that spot in the draft early is a good plan too. I think drafting 2 offensive lineman, and 2 defensive backs in the first 100 picks, along with a cornerback signing in free agency is what I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I am not against early defensive tackles like some were years ago here when the conversation was Dareus or Fairley, and Von was the pick. I just think for our situation right now, with the money already tied up in the offensive line, the bloated contract landscape for offensive lineman and cornerbacks, and the immediate impact history of certain spots, it just makes sense to stay away from defensive tackle early. I still think signing a high price free agent cornerback is a good idea, but I also think then double dipping at that spot in the draft early is a good plan too. I think drafting 2 offensive lineman, and 2 defensive backs in the first 100 picks, along with a cornerback signing in free agency is what I want to see.
    I basically am ok with it, as long as we find at least one "quality" WR, via FA and/or the Draft. And as I have referenced a number of times, I want more signings/draft picks to go towards D, because I feel confident in our O with 2 or 3 changes....whereas I think we have more to address on D, even if just for depth. DT, OLB, ILB...and definitely CB.

I dont believe Pryce, Wolfe or Williams were wasted picks.

I basically am ok with it, as long as we find at least one "quality" WR, via FA and/or the Draft. And as I have referenced a number of times, I want more signings/draft picks to go towards D, because I feel confident in our O with 2 or 3 changes....whereas I think we have more to address on D, even if just for depth. DT, OLB, ILB...and definitely CB.
    I think our defense was more than enough to get us into the playoffs this year, as it probably was 3 years ago, as it probably was 4 years ago. I agree we need some talent on that side of the ball, but in terms of it being priority over offense in the draft, no. Our offense has been the achilles heel of this team for 5 seasons now, and it won't get any better with just a small tweak or 2, we need a serious infusion of talent, or we will again be in this position in a years time.