Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What did you think of Brandon McManus's missed 57 (?) yard field goal?

I thought the decision to attempt the field goal kick was largely influenced by Vic Fangio's decision not to allow McManus to attempt the 65 (?) yard record breaking field goal earlier this season. I saw Vic Fangio and Brandon McManus talking beforehand live on television and from what I could tell Vic Fangio said (I read his lips) "Can you make it?" McManus nodded yes, which was strange because before that I saw McManus use a hand gesture pretty much saying "no, it's not worth the attempt".

Granted I'm reading a lot in between the lines, but I know what I saw.

Then the field goal attempt happened.

I thought... McManus has a shot to show Fangio robbed him of the record if he makes this kick.

And he missed it. Not by much, but he missed it.

What did you think of it all?

Coach hopefully has learned from this, to never let a player convince him of something his Gut tells him NO.

Also a good lesson for McManus for next year.

I hope McManus learned to keep his mouth shut and not act like a baby when the coach makes a decision that's best for the team.

Now he didn't miss by much, so I'd let him try again if the situation calls for it, but I hope McManus just keeps quiet.

I think he wishes he didn't have a temper tantrum a few games back

like you, .... while watching I thought that game when he wasn't asked to kick 64 yarder also had influenced today's decision.

Interesting to hear Fangio's explanation in the post game presser though. He said if it was a 3 pt game, he would have punted ......since it was they needed a TD -- he felt it was worth the risk.\

I would have punted
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Can't throw fits and convince the coach to let you kick then miss it. Got to make that kick regardless of bolles penalty

It was a lesson for Fangio & McManus.
    I believe.

Should of just punted it, of course McManus wants to attempt it. The right call should have been to bury them deep. Like others said, it will be a learning lesson for Vic

didn't like it at all...punt the ball & make them drive 80-90 yards instead of 53

was a poor coaching decision

If Bolles doesn’t commit the stupid penalty we aren’t even having this discussion.

But as it is we were 6-9 with nothing to gain really. Fangio let McManus try to ice the game. Not like it really matters if we lost other than fan happiness.

I thought they should have punted, but I respect the call. At the end of the day as a HC, you have to believe in your players. If you don't then find someone you can believe in. He took a shot, and it didn't work out, but I respect the decision.

One thing no one has mentioned, punting with Wadman is never a sure thing. If Denver had punted Wadman was due for either a 40 yard line drive with 0.8 seconds of hang time, or a shank that goes 18 yards. Although the smart money would have been on him hammering one through the end zone and them ending up with a 19 yard net punt.

It was a call that would have been different had the game been meaningful for any form of playoff position for us imo.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned, punting with Wadman is never a sure thing. If Denver had punted Wadman was due for either a 40 yard line drive with 0.8 seconds of hang time, or a shank that goes 18 yards. Although the smart money would have been on him hammering one through the end zone and them ending up with a 19 yard net punt.
    Pooch kick with Lock. Why not

I didn't see the temper tantrum when McManus wanted to kick the 65 yarder until today.

Wow, was all I could say. You're a friggin' kicker dude. You're REALLY going to throw your helmet down with such anger? Get a grip.

From what it looked like today - MacManus was going to go out and attempt to kick the 57 yarder, but the coach decided to put the punt team in (MacManus also didn't appear too happy).... but then quickly reversed his decision putting his trust in his kicker.

When the kick went right, Fangio mouthed something that didn't appear to be too positive...

In McManus’ defense his “tantrum” on the 65 yard FG did have a bit more merit than the one he missed today. It was a chance at history at the right moment. I get the team “rah-rah”, but when you See the perfect chance to own a piece of NFL history, you fight for it.

As for today, I would’ve punted. The Bolles penalty forced that. And I knew he was going to miss, just because of the way it went down. Too much ego at that moment.