Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
    Too bad Goodell loves us though, eh?
    Too bad he shut down NFL Europe.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

As far as the international games go, I would prefer they not happen in the regular season.

Iím pretty sure that the Broncos canít even give up a home game because of their stadium agreement. They can only go as the away team, if Iím not mistaken. The rest of the league should use that as the reason for why they should either eliminate international games during the regular season or add one or two games to the regular season. If they add one or two games, each team can play one or two international games.

As for the Broncosí schedule, itís too early to say how tough or easy it is, but Drew Lock looking like he might be the guy kinda gives off a warm fuzzy vibe.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Fish & Chips? Bangers & Mash?
    Maybe beef tongue sandwich and blood pudding?

I used to work with an Englishman here in Utah. He ate it often.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    The NFL did indeed kill off NFL Europe. Oh well, instead of a third-rate development league, we now have four regular season, meaningful, proper, full-on NFL games played in a sold-out 85,000 seater Wembley, and the brand new, NFL-ready, sold-out 60,000 Tottenham Stadium. Coming soon to a brand new NFL stadium in London... The London Chargers. 😀

Maybe.
    Last edited by pozbaird; 12-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
    ...and instead of a third-rate development league, we have four regular season meaningful, proper, full-on NFL played in an 85,000 seater Wembley, and the brand new, NFL-ready, 60,000 Tottenham Stadium.

Bit of a result for us Brits’.
    If more people over there were genuinely interested in American Football that League would have remained and been upgraded. Goodell's mad, alternative strategy (to that of his predecessor Tagliabue who created the World League/NFL Europa) is to force American teams in the National (not International) Football League to travel and give up homefield advantage. Good for you, not good for us, nor the teams, nor all the business in the home cities as already pointed out.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

If more people over there were genuinely interested in American Football that League would have remained and been upgraded. Goodell's mad, alternative strategy (to that of his predecessor Tagliabue who created the World League/NFL Europa) is to force American teams in the National (not International) Football League to travel and give up homefield advantage. Good for you, not good for us, nor the teams, nor all the business in the home cities as already pointed out.
    I said in my lengthy post earlier that I fully understand resentment towards the International Series of games. Iíve done the stadium tour at Mile High (twice), and been to a game in Denver. Iíve also been to games in New York and Washington. Iíve done the stadium tours at both the old and new Cowboys stadiums, the Louisiana Superdome, the old Georgia Dome, the University of Phoenix Stadium, and CenturyLink in Seattle.

I have spoken to the tour guides, local fans, shared beers with fans of the teams in the cities Iíve visited - I know just how much a home game means not only in sporting terms, but in concession sales, and outwith the stadium, for local bars, taxi firms, hotels, restaurants... I do understand and sympathise.

No getting around it - itís fantastic for British and European NFL fans. I do not take the London games for granted. Every year, I have to pinch myself and remind myself what people are giving up for me to enjoy what Iím seeing - even if it is the Jaguars being rubbish. Again.

We are real fans over here though. The days of British fans not knowing what theyíre watching are long, long gone. During the days of NFL Europe the interest wasnít that high. Having said that, the Scottish Claymores could attract crowds of 7,000 to 8,000. More than many Scottish top division soccer teams. We are now an educated fanbase, a growing fanbase, and a dedicated fanbase.

Incidentally, I hope we never get a franchise here. It has disaster written all over it. Just my opinion, but if the NFL ditched pre-season games, increased the regular season to 17, then the Ďextraí game could somehow be the International Series game, maybe taken to other European cities. Berlin being the obvious one.

Anyway, what will be will be. Looks like weíre locked in for the four games in London for a while yet, so Iím enjoying the ride. Very much so.
    Last edited by pozbaird; 12-31-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I'm from London and can see both sides of this coin.

The NFL is far more popular now in the UK than it was at the time of NFL Europe. Shad Khan, the owner of the Jags, came very close recently to buying Wembley Stadium amidst rumours that the Jags would permanently relocate to London. Of course that deal ultimately fell through.

As far as I understand it, there's a quid pro quo element to giving up home games to play in London/Mexico City. The team that agrees to do so is given priority when bidding for a Super Bowl; or in some cases it may be a condition to receiving NFL funds to help with new stadium costs. So while local downstream business may lose out with the foreign game, those losses with largely be offset.

Finally, like it or not, this is not likely to be just an NFL phenomenon. The Spanish Copa del Rey (domestic cup competition) is taking place next month in Saudi Arabia; Spain's LA Liga is looking to play a league game in the US next year (involving Barcelona); and the English FA Premier League has also been looking at playing a few league games overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    I'm from London and can see both sides of this coin.

The NFL is far more popular now in the UK than it was at the time of NFL Europe. Shad Khan, the owner of the Jags, came very close recently to buying Wembley Stadium amidst rumours that the Jags would permanently relocate to London. Of course that deal ultimately fell through.

As far as I understand it, there's a quid pro quo element to giving up home games to play in London/Mexico City. The team that agrees to do so is given priority when bidding for a Super Bowl; or in some cases it may be a condition to receiving NFL funds to help with new stadium costs. So while local downstream business may lose out with the foreign game, those losses with largely be offset.

Finally, like it or not, this is not likely to be just an NFL phenomenon. The Spanish Copa del Rey (domestic cup competition) is taking place next month in Saudi Arabia; Spain's LA Liga is looking to play a league game in the US next year (involving Barcelona); and the English FA Premier League has also been looking at playing a few league games overseas.
    I wish we could send Celtic and Rangers to Saudi Arabia. Permanently. One way ticket.

NFL fans in Mexico City and London can fill a stadium, which is better than fans in many cities in the United States can do.

Would love to see the Broncos in London but of course I can understand the reasons why teams wouldn't want to travel to another country to play a game. Furthermore losing home advantage is another downside for one of the teams.

Still, cash is king I suppose.

Can anyone explain how they work out which games are to be played outside of the US ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    NFL fans in Mexico City and London can fill a stadium, which is better than fans in many cities in the United States can do.
    Estadio Azteca
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Agreed.

The NFL makes enough money to keep leagues like this going or to partially fund some leagues like this that are still going.

I think the problem with NFL Europe was the NFL was thinking too big too quickly. They should let these smaller leagues be run by smaller business interests while the NFL supports them on some level with the idea that certain rules are followed which helps players, coaches and refs prepare for a possible transition to the NFL.

It may one day become something big as the NFL wanted but it will probably take more time than a direct investment will give proper ROI based on business leagues assessments in the NFL.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Estadio Azteca
    El Coloso de Santa ŕrsula!

Thread cleaned.

Good discussion about overseas games, but no need to get insulting. Thanks.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by EngBronco View Post
    Would love to see the Broncos in London but of course I can understand the reasons why teams wouldn't want to travel to another country to play a game. Furthermore losing home advantage is another downside for one of the teams.

Still, cash is king I suppose.

Can anyone explain how they work out which games are to be played outside of the US ?
    My understanding is that teams who have Ďstadium issuesí give up games to London - I.E. The Rams and Chargers moving from St Louis and San Diego. Also, a team building a brand new stadium and wanting a Super Bowl - I.E. Vikings and Falcons. The Jaguars owner Mr Khan also owns Fulham FC in London, so they signed a multi-year deal to play here, but they specified Wembley Stadium, which Khan tried to buy.

The team who gave up a home game to London which surprised me, was the Chiefs. No stadium issues, no issues filling their stadium, no Super Bowl bid. They seemed relatively happy to come over, maybe they thought theyíd just get it over and done with, who knows?

There are a few teams who I think will never give up a home game to London - Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, Broncos are four who immediately spring to mind. They are rock-solid franchises, no stadium issues, huge home game attendances. Unless Jerry wants a Super Bowl in JerryWorld Theme Park that is.

Anyway folks, itís 22.03 hours here in Scotland. Heading towards New Year faster than Lindsay running through a Raiders defence....

Wherever you are, wherever you will be watching the 2020 games - Denver, on the road in the USA, London, or Mexico City... the very best wishes to you and your family. Wishing you heartfelt good wishes from across the pond.

Go Broncos.