Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Iíve recently heard that former Denver resident and Bronco fan Robert Frederick Smith has hinted some interest in buying the Broncos if they were to go on the market.

Forgive me, no link. Itís just talk around town so at this point donít take it to literal.

Anyway hereís a little info on him.

DescriptionRobert Frederick Smith is an American billionaire businessman, philanthropist, chemical engineer, and investment banker. He is the founder, chairman, and CEO of private equity firm Vista Equity Partners. In 2018, Smith was ranked by Forbes as the 163rd richest person in America. Wikipedia
    Born: December 1, 1962 (age 57 years), Colorado
    Net worth: US$5 billion (Forbes September 2019)

This is the problem with Ellis. He is named in a legal document. What I do wonder about is what options are there to remove him from his position?

At the end of the day a comment like this does not provide stability for the organization. As a leader Ellis should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    This is the problem with Ellis. He is named in a legal document. What I do wonder about is what options are there to remove him from his position?

At the end of the day a comment like this does not provide stability for the organization. As a leader Ellis should know better.
    He should know better and Iím not going against the brass here but if Mike Shanahan is called to testify, it could pose some problems for Joe Ellis and that is what Beth is counting on.

They really should had set this hearing for the off-season as opposed to the start of the 2020 NFL season. I just hope it doesnít pose any distractions but youíd better believe that if the team is posting a good record, Joe will attempt to use that to his advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Iíve recently heard that former Denver resident and Bronco fan Robert Frederick Smith has hinted some interest in buying the Broncos if they were to go on the market.
    Would be pretty cool. First black owner. Didn't we also start the first black QB, Marlin Briscoe? Would be historic.

More importantly, if he's self-made and an actual FAN of the team... those are the 2 things I've always wanted in an owner (of which Brittany does not fit)

I truly donít care either way as long as the team doesnít leave Denver. Heck have Elway buy the team and step away from his other front office duties

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post

Ultimately it's the NFL that will make the final decision. They could have told him that if the family is going to continue to be an issue, the team will be placed up for sale. Because even though it's owned by the Trust, and the three trustees, the NFL still holds the rights to who owns each of their 32 franchises. And the other 31 owners can vote to force a sale at any point in time. Although that would likely be the last resort as the owners probably fear it happening to them one day if they set a precedent.

As far as Ellis being removed, it would be at the discretion of the NFL. They signed off on the trust and they signed off on who the trustees would be, including Ellis being acting majority owner. They can remove him, but they would choose who to replace him with.

He should know better and I’m not going against the brass here but if Mike Shanahan is called to testify, it could pose some problems for Joe Ellis and that is what Beth is counting on.

They really should had set this hearing for the off-season as opposed to the start of the 2020 NFL season. I just hope it doesn’t pose any distractions but you’d better believe that if the team is posting a good record, Joe will attempt to use that to his advantage.
    The problem for her is that at the end of the day, ownership rules in the NFL gives the NFL the right to oversee mediation for any ownership issues. It's part of the bylaws that an owner needs to agree to in order to own any part of the franchise. So she's going against the NFL bylaws in order to try and get ownership of the franchise, but in violating the NFL bylaws she's essentially making herself not fit to be an owner.

There's also the fact that if it does end up making it to trial, it won't be her and her lawyers against the trust and their lawyers. She'll be going against all of the Broncos lawyers and higher ups involved in creating the trust. The NFL lawyers who would have had to vet and sign off on the trust. The NFL management members that worked on the trust from their end. And finally the 31 other NFL owners. Because the NFL owners had to vote and change the bylaws specifically to allow trust ownerships.

So the lawsuit is essentially claiming that all of those people turned a blind eye to everything in order to give Joe Ellis control of the Broncos. That's a lot of people, and a lot of lawyers that would have had to be involved.

But saying this gets to court, the trial goes through, the judge or jury finds her credible and that all of these people created this trust in order to give Joe Ellis control of the Broncos, and the court awards her ownership of the franchise. She still has one massive hurdle left to clear. The NFL has every right at that point to decide she's not fit to own the team and force a sale of the franchise.

There are long odds for her to actually become controlling owner of the Broncos. The biggest of which is that the person the NFL signed off on deciding ownership amongst the family deemed her not qualified.

Is this a good way for Pat Bowlen's children to respect his memory? IIRC Pat established a list of prerequisites and requirements one of his children must fulfill in order to be a candidate for owner. Who has checked most of the boxes? Beth or Brittany? Is the lawsuit essentially taking issue with Pat Bowlen's wishes for the future of the franchise? Pat had a plan. Everyone involved should do their best to execute it.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Is this a good way for Pat Bowlen's children to respect his memory? IIRC Pat established a list of prerequisites and requirements one of his children must fulfill in order to be a candidate for owner. Who has checked most of the boxes? Beth or Brittany? Is the lawsuit essentially taking issue with Pat Bowlen's wishes for the future of the franchise? Pat had a plan. Everyone involved should do their best to execute it.
    In a word, yes. Her contention is that Pat Bowlen wasn't of sound mind at the time the Trust was put together. So essentially she's accusing Pat Bowlen's lawyers, the Broncos lawyers, Joe Ellis, the other members of the trust, NFL lawyers, NFL management and NFL owners of creating a Trust against what Pat Bowlen would have wanted because he wasn't all there.

Of course this isn't someone forcing a relative to sign a will in a nursing home, this literally had to be approved by so many people, and then the owners had to change the NFL bylaws to allow this, that it seems like a ridiculous Hail Mary.

He should know better and Iím not going against the brass here but if Mike Shanahan is called to testify, it could pose some problems for Joe Ellis and that is what Beth is counting on.

They really should had set this hearing for the off-season as opposed to the start of the 2020 NFL season. I just hope it doesnít pose any distractions but youíd better believe that if the team is posting a good record, Joe will attempt to use that to his advantage.
    The part about about Mike, is that because as the coach pre and post Alzheimerís diagnosis he would be able to say one way or the other whether Bowlen was mentally capable of knowing what he was signing off on?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Thereís got to be a compromise here somewhere right? Surely it canít be Brittany or we sell? Why canít Beth and Brittany just come together and be co-owners? They are still family, I canít imagine that one side hates the other side so much that theyíd let Ellis Force a sale

Ellis just wants to make sure he keeps his greasy little fingers in all things Broncos.
    What do you have against Ellis?

He's intelligent... Been keeping things together. Has good intentions for the team and he was Bowlen's#1 and most trusted man.

I think there more influence Ellis has for us in the future, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by DanEllis View Post
    I agree that the infighting within the Bowlen Family needs to stop. They are hurting the team as a whole from administration to the team itself. Furthermore, the ownership should sell the team, and hire a new GM to give the Denver Broncos a better attitude and a fresh start.
    No, thanks on hitting the reset button on a team (finally) and rapidly trending in the right direction by hiring a new GM...

Bronco fans don't realized how lucky we are in the g.m. Dept.

We missed on QB's for a few years and one HC
    Last edited by Zealander; 01-08-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The problem for her is that at the end of the day, ownership rules in the NFL gives the NFL the right to oversee mediation for any ownership issues. It's part of the bylaws that an owner needs to agree to in order to own any part of the franchise. So she's going against the NFL bylaws in order to try and get ownership of the franchise, but in violating the NFL bylaws she's essentially making herself not fit to be an owner.

There's also the fact that if it does end up making it to trial, it won't be her and her lawyers against the trust and their lawyers. She'll be going against all of the Broncos lawyers and higher ups involved in creating the trust. The NFL lawyers who would have had to vet and sign off on the trust. The NFL management members that worked on the trust from their end. And finally the 31 other NFL owners. Because the NFL owners had to vote and change the bylaws specifically to allow trust ownerships.

So the lawsuit is essentially claiming that all of those people turned a blind eye to everything in order to give Joe Ellis control of the Broncos. That's a lot of people, and a lot of lawyers that would have had to be involved.

But saying this gets to court, the trial goes through, the judge or jury finds her credible and that all of these people created this trust in order to give Joe Ellis control of the Broncos, and the court awards her ownership of the franchise. She still has one massive hurdle left to clear. The NFL has every right at that point to decide she's not fit to own the team and force a sale of the franchise.

There are long odds for her to actually become controlling owner of the Broncos. The biggest of which is that the person the NFL signed off on deciding ownership amongst the family deemed her not qualified.
    I think youíre making it far too complicated than it needs to be.

We all understand how the justice system works and all those people that you mention, yes theyíve signed off on Pat Bowenís decision to choose Joe Ellis but not all of them had the up close personal look inside the building to actually see what was going on.

The case is against Joe Ellis that Beth is attempting to make a case that Joe took Advantage an already sick Pat Bowlen.

That is why Mike Shanahanís testimony would mean so much and it would also mean a lot to the NFL brass that you mentioned above who still respect Shanahan to great lengths. His testimony would mean something to them and I donít believe Mike would take the stand if he felt as strongly or confident in the Ellis camp as you do.

Itíll be an interesting case However I hope it doesnít interfere with the teams performance at that time.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-09-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The part about about Mike, is that because as the coach pre and post Alzheimerís diagnosis he would be able to say one way or the other whether Bowlen was mentally capable of knowing what he was signing off on?
    Beths argument is that Joe Ellis knew Pat was on a rapidly decline and used it to gain control of the team.
    However he had to get Mike out of the picture before he could do so.

According to many former FO officials and players, Pat was showing signs of Alzheimerís as far back as 2005. In honor of Pat, nobody said a word nor did they have to until something like this comes about.

I think you’re making it far too complicated than it needs to be.

We all understand how the justice system works and all those people that you mention, yes they’ve signed off on Pat Bowen’s decision to choose Joe Ellis but not all of them had the up close personal look inside the building to actually see what was going on.

The case is against Joe Ellis that Beth is attempting to make a case that Joe took Advantage an already sick Pat Bowlen.

That is why Mike Shanahan’s testimony would mean so much and it would also mean a lot to the NFL brass that you mentioned above who still respect Shanahan to great lengths. His testimony would mean something to them and I don’t believe Mike would take the stand if he felt as strongly or confident in the Ellis camp as you do.

It’ll be an interesting case However I hope it doesn’t interfere with the teams performance at that time.
    I will be surprised if testimony by Mike Shanahan will make a difference in favor of the plaintiffs. It will be a tricky thing for him to hold forth on the subject. He risks besmirching the memory of Pat Bowlen, and could expose himself to legal liability in the process. If all anyone has to say on the subject amounts to just not liking Joe Ellis, it probably won't be sufficient to achieve their goal.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus