Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Hasn't happened, but we've never had an udfa player ever do what he did either. No need to get chippy..... we can sit back and pay him peanuts that's fine but he has proven he is worth so much more. Pay him now, that's what I say. Sign him to a 4 year plan and guarantee we have him through his prime. He's 25 now, if we wait 2 more years to sign him he'll be 27. Elway won't to give a 27 year to old RB a long term deal
    Who is getting chippy ? I am just asking you what we are talking about here, there is no past example or basis for Lindsay to go about holding out, creating a locker room issue, or even complaining about a lack of contract extension, this isn't going to happen and a made up issue which won't even need to be addressed. If we do sign Lindsay to an extension, great, he is my favourite player and probably the only guy in recent years I really am a huge fan of.

But again, exactly, he will be 27 in 2 years time, with a lot of wear on his legs from his 700 plus carries at Colorado, and then 4 years of NFL wear and tear too. I understand you like him, he is a fan favourite, but Elway and the Broncos don't care about that, and they are in full control of the situation, Lindsay has none. Wait one more year, see how it goes, offer the 3 year extension, he will take it, and then that is probably him done. As I showed with the numbers, it works out better with more protection for the team doing it like that.

Also, when was the last time a running back played out his large contract extension productively to the level he was producing at prior to receiving it ? Again, very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, So his value will be in the $750k-800k range I believe. They just need to tender him to keep him for this season, then he's an RFA next year. Essentially you can guarantee two more seasons at about $3 million total.

He's a great story, and I love how hard he runs, and what a hard worker he is. He's definitely an NFL player, but I'm not sure I think he's a truly dynamic back in the NFL. I'd probably offer him a 3 year $8 million contract with the first year guaranteed at $3 million or so. But I'd also be looking for a difference maker in the backfield.
    Is it possible to give Lindsay another signing bonus at the start of next season? I read about the signing bonuses for UDFA and from what I understand a team can give their entire UDFA signing bonus pool to one player. Not sure if those bonuses can only be paid at the initial signing, but that would be a way to reward him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Well if he does that, after 2 years in the league, I don't think veteran players would respect that, and other young guys on rookie contracts I am sure would not be backing him up on that, so I don't think it would create a locker room issue at all. Also, Lindsay is a good back, he is, but he is not an elite game changing type guy who can demand to sit out the year, and have the team give in to him handing over wads of cash, this is not going to happen.

And really, 2 years of solid production earns you a new deal, after 2 years in the league ? This is a business and when you are trying to build a contender, the key is having high level production from guys on rookie deals, teams cherish these opportunities. Again, are there any examples at all of UDFA guys getting a lengthy contract extension after 2 years in the NFL, any ? This would impact the likelihood of it happening if it was a regular thing, but it isn't, if at all.
    He's an UDFA on an incredibly low dollar deal.
    He also happens to play a position that has a limited shelf life. This is a unique situation. It's okay to reward your best players. Especially ones who are looked at as leaders/core of your team and earned it through hard work. Not sure why you aren't getting this...

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    He also happens to play a position that has a limited shelf life. This is a unique situation. It's okay to reward your best players. Especially ones who are looked at as leaders/core of your team and earned it through hard work. Not sure why you aren't getting this...
    I get your point but it still doesnít constitute or justify special treatment.
    CHJ was an UDFA as well but he still had to wait his turn. Lindsey is a fan favorite but he isnít an NFL feature back, he isnít causing offensive coordinator to stay up at night nor are they changing their game plans for him.

If Drew Lock wants to succeed like Elway did, then Lindsey will have to pose a serious threat just as Terrell Davis did. If he cannot become that, then why over pay him?

We canít pay him just because we like him... Geez imagine if we paid Tebow or Decker just because we liked them, would we had won super bowl 50! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I get your point but it still doesnít constitute or justify special treatment.
    CHJ was an UDFA as well but he still had to wait his turn. Lindsey is a fan favorite but he isnít an NFL feature back, he isnít causing offensive coordinator to stay up at night nor are they changing their game plans for him.

If Drew Lock wants to succeed like Elway did, then Lindsey will have to pose a serious threat just as Terrell Davis did. If he cannot become that, then why over pay him?

We canít pay him just because we like him... Geez imagine if we paid Tebow or Decker just because we liked them, would we had won super bowl 50! Lol
    Lindsay does not have to be Terrell Davis. That was a completely different style of offense and not to mention he is a HOF RB. Did Manning have a Terrell Davis? Lindsay just has to be him, avg roughly 5 yds per carry. What he needs to do is get better at catching the ball. He can add some weight and be able to take on more snaps and that is exactly what his off-season plan is set up for......while working out with Christian McCaffrey.

Lindsay and CHJ are in completely different situations because they play different positions. CHJ had to wait his turn because he plays a position that gets paid more. Lindsay doesn't have to break the bank here, I just think we can give him a team friendly deal now because he will probably want more if he continues his success.

The more I think about it, it's probably more like 5 years / 20 mil. with 10 mill. guaranteed?

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    I would think he gets 6-8 per. 3-4 years.
    no way. They were cheap with cj. Remember the 4mil a year

I think he deserves a good contract. I just donít think it needs to be done right away. There are too many holes and UFA to deal with right now. I love Taz. Heís my favorite player. Still, itís a little early to get a deal done. Letís see how retention and FA goes.

Maybe they start negotiating with him after the draft. That would be an appropriate time because the roster needs work atm.

I missed where it said but who ever said Lindsey can't be a feature back is incorrect. If he keeps averaging 5 yards a carry. How can that not be a featured back. I feel so bad for lindsey some times just cause the disrespect he gets from his size.

He is Averaging about 62.5 rushing yards a game this year. I think he has done well, I don't think he scares many DC's.

Phillip Lindsey is an inside/outside running back. Not sure, but it seems more of his attempts are between the Tackles. If the blocks are there, he's a threat to have a long gain which could score, as in his 27 yard TD during the 4th quarter against the Lions. Such is the nature of rushing attacks. They require patient commitment. Run plays tend to work better when they are packaged in a series which forces run D to adjust causing attacks to the adjustments.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I agree no need to extend him this offseason. We need to focus our efforts on extending

1. Simmons
    2. Shelby Harris
    3. Maybe Chris Harris if heís reasonable.

Guys like Lindsay, Sutton, Purcell, Johnson will have to wait a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't matter, none of that matters. I understand as fans wanting to be nice and give him money, but the NFL is a business, and Lindsay has zero leverage to make a case for a new deal. There are no past examples for Lindsay to approach the team with as precedent, Lindsay is controlled by the team for the foreseeable future, he plays a position of low value and easy replacement, and this isn't even an issue which has arisen, you guys are thinking way to deeply into this, it is 100% a non-issue.

Who knows, Elway could pay him, and I would be okay with that, it just doesn't make sense to do it, and the team doesn't have too. I think Lindsay would approach the team at some point to talk about a potential extension, and they will probably start talking about it, but the right time will be next off-season. Do you really think veteran players and other guys on rookie deals will be disheartened to work hard and succeed if Lindsay doesn't get a new deal after just 2 NFL seasons ? When most of them had to wait 4, and the others are working towards their 4 ? Again, this is a potential negative situation you guys are cooking up in your own heads, it isn't going to be a problem if Lindsay doesn't get extended this off-season.

I think he is on a three-year deal, making roughly six hundred thousand a year, so it wouldn't be unheard of for them to re-sign him a little early?
    (5 years/20 mill. 10 million guaranteed?)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I think he is on a three-year deal, making roughly six hundred thousand a year, so it wouldn't be unheard of for them to re-sign him a little early?
    (5 years/20 mill. 10 million guaranteed?)
    That contract is very reasonable, but yes, it is completely unheard of for an UDFA 2 year accrued player to sign a contract extension. It is also unheard of for an UDFA to post back to back 1K seasons out the gate, but regardless Lindsay has no leverage at all in the situation, none.