Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 71
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I am not giving him a large contract this off-season. 1, he is a running back in his second year, and 2, we don't have to. Undrafted Free Agents can re-negotiate after the 2nd year of their contract is played out yes, but we have him under contract for this upcoming season, and hold his rights for the year after that. I would wait until next off-season, if he proves it again, you offer the 3 year extension, not 4 for a running back, and we hold his rights to match any other offer he gets.

    That way you place a high tender on him, offer an extension, if someone else offers him money, you have the right to match, and the league will set his market. If you then don't want to match, your undrafted investment just gave you 3 good seasons, and you sold him on for a first or second round pick, in the situation you don't want to match. Broncos sit in a good place with Lindsay and the production they are getting, and how his contract situation looks now and in the future. You don't extend him this off-season.



    I don't see the harm in extending him now. Why even let another team come close? He proved his worth already, only undrafted player in history to rush for consecutive 1000 yards. If he's willing to wait than fine but if he wants a new deal I say sign him now because next year could cost a lot more if he does it again, and there's no reason to believe he won't do it again

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,033
    Lindsay is good and deserves a pay day but I donít think itís a wise decision for us to do it when heís about to be an UFA. At that point any extension would take him into his 30s and the contract likely wouldnít age well. This offseason makes sense from the perspective that a 4 year deal locks him up until heís 29, if heís still the same RB then or improved then the franchise tag is an option and you minimize the risk of having an unproductive 30+ old RB with a large contract for multiple seasons. This offseason also probably locks him into a cheaper deal as opposed to the next 2.

    We also have the cap space to do it now whereas in a few years youíll have to weigh who you want more. Sutton has 2 years left on his deal and Chubb will likely be on his 5th year option. Plus other players that develop into quality players as well as other potential additions through FA.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Lindsay is good and deserves a pay day but I donít think itís a wise decision for us to do it when heís about to be an UFA. At that point any extension would take him into his 30s and the contract likely wouldnít age well. This offseason makes sense from the perspective that a 4 year deal locks him up until heís 29, if heís still the same RB then or improved then the franchise tag is an option and you minimize the risk of having an unproductive 30+ old RB with a large contract for multiple seasons. This offseason also probably locks him into a cheaper deal as opposed to the next 2.

    We also have the cap space to do it now whereas in a few years youíll have to weigh who you want more. Sutton has 2 years left on his deal and Chubb will likely be on his 5th year option. Plus other players that develop into quality players as well as other potential additions through FA.
    Exactly, that's what I've been saying. I think it's smart to lock him in now for every reason you just pointed out

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,508
    I like Lindsey but he's not and should be our feature back. People say they love how hard he runs the ball. I guess maybe for a 170lb back he does but he doesn't move the pile. He's not a short yardage back, can't catch out the backfield nor does he break tackles. Especially after just watching the way Derrick Henry run, we need a back that can do it all with Lindsey being the change of pace back.
    Go Hard or Go Home

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    I like Lindsey but he's not and should be our feature back. People say they love how hard he runs the ball. I guess maybe for a 170lb back he does but he doesn't move the pile. He's not a short yardage back, can't catch out the backfield nor does he break tackles. Especially after just watching the way Derrick Henry run, we need a back that can do it all with Lindsey being the change of pace back.
    Cause you know 190 pounds is the same as 170. Also have you ever watched lindsey runs. He runs with alot of power expecially for someone of his size. Find me another back who has averaged 5.0 yards a carry through his first 2 seasons. He was an average rb with upside at worst. The people who look at his size an just assume he can't be a feature back is wrong.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    I like Lindsey but he's not and should be our feature back. People say they love how hard he runs the ball. I guess maybe for a 170lb back he does but he doesn't move the pile. He's not a short yardage back, can't catch out the backfield nor does he break tackles. Especially after just watching the way Derrick Henry run, we need a back that can do it all with Lindsey being the change of pace back.
    He's 190....not 170, big difference. His off-season plan is to add weight and work on pass catching skills. We don't need a Derrick Henry that will all used up in 2 to 3 more years. If Phil can add 10 pounds in the off-season I see no reason he can't become more featured

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,391
    Itís really interesting how tangibles vs intangibles effect how we perceive players. Lindsay is a smaller back, so heís automatically put in the COP/scat back category.

    He doesnít play like that, though. He plays like an every down back. He is an excellent inside runner and he runs with passion and purpose. Heís a very strong runner in spite of his size. That forearm to Bosa in the hole was only one example of his strong running style.

    Iím sure all of you have access to YouTube. Go back and watch the videos. He is an excellent back. I personally think many people get hung up on his size.

    I agree it would be nice to have a big bruiser to compliment Lindsay. I just donít think that guy has to be the starter/bell cow. Why canít Lindsay be the featured back while the big guy is the COP/short yardage runner?

    Lindsay is a bona fide starter IMO. I donít care as much about his size. His intangibles are off the charts. Durability is not directly correlated to size, BTW. It isnít like Lindsay is automatically an injury risk solely based on his size. Big backs get hurt too.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,405
    5 games over 100 yards rushing in 31 games.
    (Pretty good, but not great either)

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,826
    There are seven backs with back to back 1000 yards rushing 2018-19: Elliott, Barkley, Mixon, Carson, McCaffrey, Henry and Lindsay. Why are we getting caught up with ďfeatureĒ and ďevery downĒ back? Lindsay is in pretty good company even with some room to improve receiving. Also, how much did Scangarelloís play calls limit Lindsay as a receiver? When I hear we need a difference maker, wasnít Lindsayís 27 yard touchdown to seal the win vs Lions a difference maker? I thought so but maybe Iím missing something.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,678
    There is a MAJOR difference between now and when Peyton was here. Lock is definitely on the upswing but at the same time he never threw the team on his shoulders and won the last two games. Peyton was Peyton - NFL royalty and looked up to.

    That make a difference for FAs.

    Now look at who we've attracted as FAs...even our hometown Campbell opted to go elsewhere sans Peyton. As an organization we need to show that we pay (appropriately) even on occasion early for those players who produce at a high level and show high class and character. It will once again help us land better FAs and hopefully compete again.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Cause you know 190 pounds is the same as 170. Also have you ever watched lindsey runs. He runs with alot of power expecially for someone of his size. Find me another back who has averaged 5.0 yards a carry through his first 2 seasons. He was an average rb with upside at worst. The people who look at his size an just assume he can't be a feature back is wrong.
    That average per carry is misleading though because he's a part-time back. He's not a full-time back. Generally when RBs go from PT to FT their average per carry drops. One could point out that with more carries this year his average drop almost a full yard per carry from last year.

    That's not to say I dislike Lindsay, I don't, and I think he's a great story and like him being a Bronco, but his yards per carry stat over two years doesn't accurately portray the true numbers. Which were that everything dropped from 2018 to 2019.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    That average per carry is misleading though because he's a part-time back. He's not a full-time back. Generally when RBs go from PT to FT their average per carry drops. One could point out that with more carries this year his average drop almost a full yard per carry from last year.

    That's not to say I dislike Lindsay, I don't, and I think he's a great story and like him being a Bronco, but his yards per carry stat over two years doesn't accurately portray the true numbers. Which were that everything dropped from 2018 to 2019.
    Still he was ten in yards and ypc this year. I also feel like he has been getting more Carries. I mean 4.5 yards per.carry is still pretty good I just think he was used terribly over the first part of the season and got into a groove later in the season. It may just be me but I blame more Scrangerello lack of experience and being terrible at play calling year one. Then the increase in Carrys for Lindsey as to why his ypa dropped. Still 5.0 on like 400 attempts is really top notch

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Still he was ten in yards and ypc this year. I also feel like he has been getting more Carries. I mean 4.5 yards per.carry is still pretty good I just think he was used terribly over the first part of the season and got into a groove later in the season. It may just be me but I blame more Scrangerello lack of experience and being terrible at play calling year one. Then the increase in Carrys for Lindsey as to why his ypa dropped. Still 5.0 on like 400 attempts is really top notch
    But the 5.0 npc over 400 carries looks at 2 different years, in 2 different scenarios. And in a league where you're paid for delivering it's about 1 year vs the next, not using the full resume. The one positive I will say for Lindsay this year is that his YPC increased in the second half of games, And in the 4th quarter this year his average went up to 5.9 YPC.

    As for the play calling, I disagree. 32 fanbases in the NFL complain about play calling. And if you look at teams like Minnesota or Dallas, everyone in the stadium knows that it's going to be a run to Cook or Elliott, but they still seem to gain yards.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    But the 5.0 npc over 400 carries looks at 2 different years, in 2 different scenarios. And in a league where you're paid for delivering it's about 1 year vs the next, not using the full resume. The one positive I will say for Lindsay this year is that his YPC increased in the second half of games, And in the 4th quarter this year his average went up to 5.9 YPC.

    As for the play calling, I disagree. 32 fanbases in the NFL complain about play calling. And if you look at teams like Minnesota or Dallas, everyone in the stadium knows that it's going to be a run to Cook or Elliott, but they still seem to gain yards.
    Dallas has one of the better lines and Minnesota has been really good in run blocking. If Lindsey was running behind a better line there would have been better yards. But I did not like our playcalling expecially early. To say it wasn't bad and Scrangerello did not look over his head would be incorrect.

    I mean I think my main issue is I would like to see Lindsey on the field and touch the ball more. He is so explosive we should be making an effort to get him 20 touches a game and there was no sign. I also feel freeman was in there way to much


    Only one time this season he had 20 carries or more
    Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 01-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,056
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Exactly, that's what I've been saying. I think it's smart to lock him in now for every reason you just pointed out
    You didn't mention these issues Beast did, you and a few others seemed concerned with a potential locker room fall out given no contract extension is signed this off-season, that is a different topic and issue. I agree that it wouldn't be a terrible thing Lindsay to an extension now, but it's not a on "need to" basis to avoid some sort of potential hold-out or locker room revolt. Do you still think that is a possibility with Lindsay if we don't sign him to an extension now ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •