Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How much is Lindsay worth??

I love this kid....great person, great football player and a great teammate. He is going to get extended this off-season, I'm curious what he's worth? I think he gets in the 8-9 a year range on a 4 year deal with 20+ of it guaranteed

I would think he gets 6-8 per. 3-4 years.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

I am not giving him a large contract this off-season. 1, he is a running back in his second year, and 2, we don't have to. Undrafted Free Agents can re-negotiate after the 2nd year of their contract is played out yes, but we have him under contract for this upcoming season, and hold his rights for the year after that. I would wait until next off-season, if he proves it again, you offer the 3 year extension, not 4 for a running back, and we hold his rights to match any other offer he gets.

That way you place a high tender on him, offer an extension, if someone else offers him money, you have the right to match, and the league will set his market. If you then don't want to match, your undrafted investment just gave you 3 good seasons, and you sold him on for a first or second round pick, in the situation you don't want to match. Broncos sit in a good place with Lindsay and the production they are getting, and how his contract situation looks now and in the future. You don't extend him this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I am not giving him a large contract this off-season. 1, he is a running back in his second year, and 2, we don't have to. Undrafted Free Agents can re-negotiate after the 2nd year of their contract is played out yes, but we have him under contract for this upcoming season, and hold his rights for the year after that. I would wait until next off-season, if he proves it again, you offer the 3 year extension, not 4 for a running back, and we hold his rights to match any other offer he gets.

That way you place a high tender on him, offer an extension, if someone else offers him money, you have the right to match, and the league will set his market. If you then don't want to match, your undrafted investment just gave you 3 good seasons, and you sold him on for a first or second round pick, in the situation you don't want to match. Broncos sit in a good place with Lindsay and the production they are getting, and how his contract situation looks now and in the future. You don't extend him this off-season.
    I don't see the harm in extending him now. Why even let another team come close? He proved his worth already, only undrafted player in history to rush for consecutive 1000 yards. If he's willing to wait than fine but if he wants a new deal I say sign him now because next year could cost a lot more if he does it again, and there's no reason to believe he won't do it again

4 years/ 20 mill, 10 mill. guaranteed

He was
    14th in total Rushing Yards
    16th in Rushing Yards per game
    43rd in Receiving Yards

His closest comparison for this year would probably be Mark Ingram (They have almost the exact same production). I believe he had a 3 year, 15m contract with 6.5 guaranteed.

Additionally, Lindsay is a team leader. I don’t think you want to treat him like a #. His voice in the locker room is important, as is his competitive fire on the field.

I kinda think you want to sign him now he is working with McCaffrey during the offseason to improve in the passing game. If we sign him now I think it will save money. Cause if he can prove to be a good receiver then his price sky rockets and the 6.5 a year may be a deal

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I don't see the harm in extending him now. Why even let another team come close? He proved his worth already, only undrafted player in history to rush for consecutive 1000 yards. If he's willing to wait than fine but if he wants a new deal I say sign him now because next year could cost a lot more if he does it again, and there's no reason to believe he won't do it again
    It's just not smart business, which is what this is all about. I see a lot of harm in extending him now, and the risks of doing so outweigh the benefits. You suggest offering 8-9 million per year, that is probably fair for an off-contract running back with back to back 1000 yard seasons. That would of made him the 5th or 6th highest paid running back this past season behind the likes of Elliot, Gurley, and Bell. Do you think next year if Lindsay produces another 1000 yard season that he will command more than the 8-9 million you suggest paying him right now ? I don't, so why pay him an extra 7.5 million on what he is currently earning when he wont go much above that suggested contract offer now ?

Also, let's say he produces another 1000 yard season, and he does command 10 million per season on a 3 year contract. That extra 2 or 3 million extra per year on what you suggest paying him now would offset the large increase in what he would be earning on his rookie deal in 2020 anyway. If it offsets why not do it then ? Well you give yourself another year of insurance right now making him prove it again therefore protecting the team. No one would pay him any more than that on the open market regardless, and this isn't even factoring in that any team willing to pay him that sort of money would need to give up a first or second round pick as well, as he would be tendered at that level, it just wont happen.

So really, by giving him the money now makes no sense for the team. We could honestly have him locked up for 2 more seasons here on base wage, make him play out this final year of his contract, then play at a high level tender which is still a small salary the following year, and see how the free agent market reacts. That will be 2 more years of wear and tear on the body, and then you decide if you want to give the big day to him. When was the last time a 4 year free agent hit the open market, signed a huge contract, and continued to produce for the life of that contract ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I kinda think you want to sign him now he is working with McCaffrey during the offseason to improve in the passing game. If we sign him now I think it will save money. Cause if he can prove to be a good receiver then his price sky rockets and the 6.5 a year may be a deal
    The question then becomes what would he earn in a years time ? Let's say he has a huge year, his value increases, and now it's at 10 million per season. He signs a 3 year deal worth 30 million dollars, averaging out the next 4 years that is roughly a 4 year 31 million dollar contract. Now, let's give him a deal worth 8 million per season this off-season over the next 4 years like suggested. That makes it a 4 year deal worth 32 million dollars. Why bother ? The numbers in this situation would work out the same, but it protects the team against injury, dip in production, etc. From a team building perspective, you don't re-sign Phillip Lindsay now.

You guys are also forgetting, if he does have a huge year and his market value increases, a team willing to come and sign him to a huge contract would have to give up a top draft picks as he would be a restricted free agent, making it even more unlikely they would even make an offer. And if they did, we would then have the right to match.

It's just not smart business, which is what this is all about. I see a lot of harm in extending him now, and the risks of doing so outweigh the benefits. You suggest offering 8-9 million per year, that is probably fair for an off-contract running back with back to back 1000 yard seasons. That would of made him the 5th or 6th highest paid running back this past season behind the likes of Elliot, Gurley, and Bell. Do you think next year if Lindsay produces another 1000 yard season that he will command more than the 8-9 million you suggest paying him right now ? I don't, so why pay him an extra 7.5 million on what he is currently earning when he wont go much above that suggested contract offer now ?

Also, let's say he produces another 1000 yard season, and he does command 10 million per season on a 3 year contract. That extra 2 or 3 million extra per year on what you suggest paying him now would offset the large increase in what he would be earning on his rookie deal in 2020 anyway. If it offsets why not do it then ? Well you give yourself another year of insurance right now making him prove it again therefore protecting the team. No one would pay him any more than that on the open market regardless, and this isn't even factoring in that any team willing to pay him that sort of money would need to give up a first or second round pick as well, as he would be tendered at that level, it just wont happen.

So really, by giving him the money now makes no sense for the team. We could honestly have him locked up for 2 more seasons here on base wage, make him play out this final year of his contract, then play at a high level tender which is still a small salary the following year, and see how the free agent market reacts. That will be 2 more years of wear and tear on the body, and then you decide if you want to give the big day to him. When was the last time a 4 year free agent hit the open market, signed a huge contract, and continued to produce for the life of that contract ?
    You want to talk about business decisions, taking care of players is smart business. Other players see you going above and beyond to take care of guys that are worth it. Obviously I don't know the numbers or what he's worth or I wouldn't have asked the question. What I suggested is probably way over the top but regardless it's a message to players in house and out that we take of our guys. Make them want to come here. We have the cap space so I say do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    You want to talk about business decisions, taking care of players is smart business. Other players see you going above and beyond to take care of guys that are worth it. Obviously I don't know the numbers or what he's worth or I wouldn't have asked the question. What I suggested is probably way over the top but regardless it's a message to players in house and out that we take of our guys. Make them want to come here. We have the cap space so I say do it now.
    That is the only positive I can see coming from giving him the contract right now, all the other points make it a bad business decision. However, making a rookie play the third year of his contract will hardly be looked at as not taking care of the guys in house. Phillip Lindsay has 2 good seasons of production under his belt, but if Denver don't pay him now, no one is saying Denver doesn't take care of their guys, it wont even receive a second thought. I can see this conversation taking place if Lindsay does 4 full years, produces, get's franchised, no deal is worked out, and we are 5 years into his career without extending him, but not after 2 years of his rookie contract, that suggestion is ridiculous in reality actually.

Divide the remaining $10 mil of Ju’Wuan James guaranteed money, $5 mil to Lindsay and $5 mil split for the O-line. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Divide the remaining $10 mil of Ju’Wuan James guaranteed money, $5 mil to Lindsay and $5 mil split for the O-line. Done.
    What is the deal with James, can we get out of his contract without too much of a hit ?

What is the deal with James, can we get out of his contract without too much of a hit ?
    I don’t believe we can get out of the contract without the hit. His cap number is $13 mil in 2020, $19 mil dead cap. His 2020 salary was guaranteed at signing. One notable comment from his recent interview was when he said, “We’re on the same page”. I suspect the Broncos had a conversation about his delays getting back on the field after the knee sprain in the season opener, and probably called into question his 2020 salary if he delays playing next season. Maybe they can appeal to the league on the cap hit if that happens? I’m not sure about those things - has any team recovered cap space in a similar situation?
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 01-02-2020 at 05:48 PM.