Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,241
    Doesn't every team have to spend like 85-90% of their cap space? If Denver is going to be in the ball park of 70 mil I think we are going to be big spenders.....just a matter of who and what position.

    I would love to see a really good CB, DT and WR signed in FA so we can truly stick to BPA approach in the draft. Or, even trade up for a really coveted player. Elway has to be feeling the pressure at LT.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,052
    88%, but over a 4 year period. We have had roughly 50 million unspent cap over the past 3 years combined, when we had 532 million available. With the 2020 cap number included, the total for the 4 year period would be 732 million, with Elway having already spent roughly 613 million of that cap. This number includes contracts on the books for this year. So, we are at roughly 84% of the cap as it stands right now, and I believe he would need to spend about 37 million dollars worth of money in 2020 to meet the 4 year cap floor.

    So, 8-12 million of that cap allocation will be for the new rookie class, a similar amount will go towards Simmons, maybe 10, meaning we could get away with spending as little as 15-17 on new players. I would think one cornerback and one defensive lineman could easily eat that up, but then when you add in some depth signings as well, the money could go quick. So Elway doesn't need to go and spend a whole heap of new money, which people are going to say constantly this off-season he has to and we should sign every big name available.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    88%, but over a 4 year period. We have had roughly 50 million unspent cap over the past 3 years combined, when we had 532 million available. With the 2020 cap number included, the total for the 4 year period would be 732 million, with Elway having already spent roughly 613 million of that cap. This number includes contracts on the books for this year. So, we are at roughly 84% of the cap as it stands right now, and I believe he would need to spend about 37 million dollars worth of money in 2020 to meet the 4 year cap floor.

    So, 8-12 million of that cap allocation will be for the new rookie class, a similar amount will go towards Simmons, maybe 10, meaning we could get away with spending as little as 15-17 on new players. I would think one cornerback and one defensive lineman could easily eat that up, but then when you add in some depth signings as well, the money could go quick. So Elway doesn't need to go and spend a whole heap of new money, which people are going to say constantly this off-season he has to and we should sign every big name available.
    Good info....thanks, CP when I get my laptop out

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,763
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    88%, but over a 4 year period. We have had roughly 50 million unspent cap over the past 3 years combined, when we had 532 million available. With the 2020 cap number included, the total for the 4 year period would be 732 million, with Elway having already spent roughly 613 million of that cap. This number includes contracts on the books for this year. So, we are at roughly 84% of the cap as it stands right now, and I believe he would need to spend about 37 million dollars worth of money in 2020 to meet the 4 year cap floor.

    So, 8-12 million of that cap allocation will be for the new rookie class, a similar amount will go towards Simmons, maybe 10, meaning we could get away with spending as little as 15-17 on new players. I would think one cornerback and one defensive lineman could easily eat that up, but then when you add in some depth signings as well, the money could go quick. So Elway doesn't need to go and spend a whole heap of new money, which people are going to say constantly this off-season he has to and we should sign every big name available.
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Good info....thanks, CP when I get my laptop out
    Yes, this is good info. Thx!

    Again, lets go get a CB, WR (like Robby Anderson), and a DT....and I'm good to go. Then I go OT, CB, WR in The Draft, along with a pass rusher and ILB. That leaves picks for good use.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    CB James Bradberry, shouldn't be too bad on the salary cap and good size, young, is a decent tackler and above average cover.
    CB DeVonte Bausby; RFA, give an original round tender, good size and speed, should be a strong competitor for at least a #3 CB
    DT Jordan Phillips; great at QB pressure/sacks/hits, solid against the run should be relatively affordable... maybe?
    LB Cory Littleton; good cover LB, solid in run game, decent pass rusher ... ILB shouldn't break the bank but could be a significant cost?
    DE Shelby Harris; the bad is that he might be looking for too much money?
    DT Mike Purcell, RFA at least give him a tender, probably a 2nd round tender (~3.3M 1 year deal) the reason for the 2nd round tender is the 2nd round compensation if they don't match an offer sheet. Might not get much attention from other teams?
    DE Derek Wolfe; would be great to keep him in Denver for another 2-3 years if he will sign at a very reasonable price.
    WR Robby Anderson; might be too expensive but should try to acquire.
    OC Connor McGovern; shouldn't pay a whole lot but he has been reliable. Morris might be an option too?
    RB Kareem Hunt; probably not a popular option but talk is he is trying very hard to be good and he is a pretty good receiver; shouldn't pay a whole lot though.
    Other than an OT that is on the cheap side, I don't think they should pursue any of the high priced OTs, they have their money in James at RT for the 2020 season and the high priced OTs are just too risky and not worth the money, use the draft on OTs.

    I forgot ... Justin Simmons and Will Parks should be re-signed ... Simmons at a competitive price. Parks played well against TEs the last 2 games, shouldn't cost too much?
    Yes to everything.
    Plus, perhaps extend current players too.

    What does your draft look like?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    You cant pass up an opertunity at Brady. Lock has potential but sitting 2-3 years under the Goat would be just fine for his growth.

    Manning came over in a similar situation. We have a young receiving core and a defense with potential. In 2012 D Thomas IMO is on par with Sutton. People forget Manning came with Stokely. Brady could hand pick who ever.
    Manning and Brady are two different types of QBs.

    I always thought of Manning as a cerebral QB
    and Brady, a cheating QB.
    But I could be wrong.

    I'd take Rivers over Brady,
    but would take whoever is cheaper.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,945
    Robby Anderson
    Chris Jones
    Cory Littleton
    Trae Waynes

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,493
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    You cant pass up an opertunity at Brady. Lock has potential but sitting 2-3 years under the Goat would be just fine for his growth.

    Manning came over in a similar situation. We have a young receiving core and a defense with potential. In 2012 D Thomas IMO is on par with Sutton. People forget Manning came with Stokely. Brady could hand pick who ever.
    If he wants to be a coach that may be correct, but as a player......... I don't think twice, I'll pass. His $25 million salary could be used much wiser in other areas to make us better (OT, G, C, ILB, S, CB, RB, WR). I see all of those as much greater needs then qb. Not to mention it would be stubbing our qbs growth. Could he learn a bit from Brady, sure. The best teacher is experience which he would then be getting none of on the field and we would likely create another Osweiller situation . Not to mention, Brady wasn't all that good this year. His age is showing.

    I'd pass on Brady and not need to give it a second thought.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,763
    I agree with all those above who do not want Brady to come here to play....and I would finish by saying that we are a highly unlikely choice of his, as a future playing destination. He is looking for a quality Oline and high level weapons. I see us turning into that team in the next year or two, but he wants a chance to display his talent, and given his mobility (or lack thereof) and issues with The pats not finding him weapons, I can not see us on his radar. He wants a place that makes him look really good, and I don't see this as a match.

    Fine by me! Lock's our future, and we will be that team in the not too distant future.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,365
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Yes to everything.
    Plus, perhaps extend current players too.

    What does your draft look like?
    Until FA is done that is difficult to speculate but... OT needs to be addressed by the 3rd round, hopefully there will be a good one earlier. i do think that even if they use a 1st or 2nd on an OT they should take another in the 3rd round. I like Isaiah Simmons if there at 15 but again depends on FA. 1st round should be BPA; almost regardless of position.

    I wouldn't draft any kind of kicker before the 7th round.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,763
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Until FA is done that is difficult to speculate but... OT needs to be addressed by the 3rd round, hopefully there will be a good one earlier. i do think that even if they use a 1st or 2nd on an OT they should take another in the 3rd round. I like Isaiah Simmons if there at 15 but again depends on FA. 1st round should be BPA; almost regardless of position.

    I wouldn't draft any kind of kicker before the 7th round.
    This is the "literal" fear of pure BPA. If you don't need a punter or a kicker, do not go 1st overall pick with one of them!!! Hey, Ray Guy was a round one punter, who went on to the HoF, so what do I know!!

    BUT...and this where I get it wrong some times, say the BPA is a Center, and you have a decent one. To be defined as the best player at that pick, something special is going on. So if you draft him, you are likely going to win. Why? Because Center's are important, and if he is destined for potential stardom, you have just locked into an anchor on your Oline for 10 or more seasons. And you get to trade your current Center for a good return, which helps you in other places. That Center may not have been a need at all, but the leverage of selecting the best player at that pick, may have long term positive effects.

    However, in my opinion, if the BPA is slightly better than another player in a position you are not as well positioned for, I prefer to take the 2nd BPA, because the payback is instant, and you do not have to maneuver much to acquire him. Maybe no trade. And in that regard, no expectations of said trade.

    So ultimately, I prefer BPA in a position of need....which could be several or more positions. UNLESS (other than a punter or kicker in early rounds) the player is pretty much "can't miss" and is the far better pick when you select.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-11-2020 at 12:27 PM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    88%, but over a 4 year period. We have had roughly 50 million unspent cap over the past 3 years combined, when we had 532 million available. With the 2020 cap number included, the total for the 4 year period would be 732 million, with Elway having already spent roughly 613 million of that cap. This number includes contracts on the books for this year. So, we are at roughly 84% of the cap as it stands right now, and I believe he would need to spend about 37 million dollars worth of money in 2020 to meet the 4 year cap floor.

    So, 8-12 million of that cap allocation will be for the new rookie class, a similar amount will go towards Simmons, maybe 10, meaning we could get away with spending as little as 15-17 on new players. I would think one cornerback and one defensive lineman could easily eat that up, but then when you add in some depth signings as well, the money could go quick. So Elway doesn't need to go and spend a whole heap of new money, which people are going to say constantly this off-season he has to and we should sign every big name available.
    We donít need to sign every big name just because but I do think a top CB like Jones or Waynes and possibly an upper tier olineman or dlineman would go a long way to solidifying our team as a wild card threat. I donít think Chris Jones will hit the market but adding him while taking away from the Chiefs would be great.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    13,771
    The Broncos should have quite a bit of cap space even with Joe Flacco and Juwann James on the roster.

    I believe that there is a strong chance both Calais Campbell and Arik Armstead could become free agents. If so look out AFC west because Elway will persue both.

    In the draft I think we really do go Henry Ruggs III at 15 and then trade back into the first for Tyler Biadiasz.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-11-2020 at 04:11 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,264
    Id love to get Armstead, then Wolfe back on a team friendly deal. I donít think we we need to change NT.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This is the "literal" fear of pure BPA. If you don't need a punter or a kicker, do not go 1st overall pick with one of them!!! Hey, Ray Guy was a round one punter, who went on to the HoF, so what do I know!!

    BUT...and this where I get it wrong some times, say the BPA is a Center, and you have a decent one. To be defined as the best player at that pick, something special is going on. So if you draft him, you are likely going to win. Why? Because Center's are important, and if he is destined for potential stardom, you have just locked into an anchor on your Oline for 10 or more seasons. And you get to trade your current Center for a good return, which helps you in other places. That Center may not have been a need at all, but the leverage of selecting the best player at that pick, may have long term positive effects.

    However, in my opinion, if the BPA is slightly better than another player in a position you are not as well positioned for, I prefer to take the 2nd BPA, because the payback is instant, and you do not have to maneuver much to acquire him. Maybe no trade. And in that regard, no expectations of said trade.

    So ultimately, I prefer BPA in a position of need....which could be several or more positions. UNLESS (other than a punter or kicker in early rounds) the player is pretty much "can't miss" and is the far better pick when you select.
    That problem is magnified when there is no current player or solid depth.

    FA Center McGovern may price himself out of Denver,
    leaving possible center replacements:
    Nico Fallah, Patrick Morris, and Austin Schlottmann.

    No, thanks.
    I want Ruggs 3, but I'll settle for a Risner-esque Center
    in Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz .

    I just hope we'd trade down, if so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •