Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elway and Fangio

There is a perception about the reaction of Elway and Fangio to the successes of the team in the last stretch ..........and Drew Lock in the last stretch.

Local media kind of flames Elway and Fangio about not acknowledging Lock and the team's recent successes being the absolute answer to the Bronco's problems.

First of all, isn't Fangio's job to have each and every player on the roster --improve--? Isn't it a better approach to say "Von played great but I think he can be even better" than to gush over Von and/or Lock?

From Elway's point of view, do these media talking heads expect Elway to acknowledge that Lock IS the answer to the Bronco's problems and that he's a franchise QB or whatever they want him to say.........

..... with Elway's sketchy history at drafting QB, would his acknowledging Lock 'being the guy'.........and if (and we all hope this doesn't happen but we don't know yet) Lock actually ends up not being 'the guy' ~wouldn't that be the ultimate in failure to assess the situation? Elway has to slow roll this. He can't just declare Lock is the future etc.

And neither can Fangio. Give them a break on this. They gave props to him. They just didn't 'put him into Canton'........which is exactly what I would expect from my HC.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

What they say to the media is meaningless, and I personally don't care what they say. The actions of how they approach building this team and developing young players is what will matter. If we approach the off-season with Lock positioned as the guy, with all first team reps going to him, with the offense being built around him, and everything being slanted to preparing for week 1, then good. If Fangio continues to allow young guys to see the field in the hope of bringing them along, finding roles for them in his defense, and not just giving reps to old guys because of seniority, then great.

Actions speak louder than words, and I wont be worried about anything until I see something that actually worries me, not by reading into comments to media, or what the media thinks. Can't wait to watch fans take every team related article as gospel between now and the draft, always a fun time where media members are given to much attention for their opinions.

Just a couple of stubborn old men who are afraid to admit how horrifically wrong they were about Flacco and how badly they fungled the entire Lock situation since he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Just a couple of stubborn old men who are afraid to admit how horrifically wrong they were about Flacco and how badly they fungled the entire Lock situation since he was drafted.
    Also accurate. If we declare an "open quarterback competition" I am done with Elway. I said I would be done with him if the Flacco move failed after once again going the re-tread route, but this time I will mean it. Quarterback competitions are a failed concept, proven.

You two are a couple of the few posters who I read all of your posts. However, thats pretty knee jerk and cynical without having a clue what happened behind closed doors. Elway rated Drew higher than any other GM in the draft and even publicly swooned over him prior to the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    You two are a couple of the few posters who I read all of your posts. However, thats pretty knee jerk and cynical without having a clue what happened behind closed doors. Elway rated Drew higher than any other GM in the draft and even publicly swooned over him prior to the draft.
    Also true, however you have to admit the whole situation did not add up. I believe Elway wanted to avoid fans becoming unruly demanding Lock play while Flacco was healthy and we were losing. I also believe Elway still thinks the best approach to developing quarterbacks is by sitting them on the sideline, and I think that was probably a part of the equation too, despite it being proven to be a failed approach.

I also find it funny Elway and Fangio have gone out of their way on numerous occasions to mention that Lock sitting for the first half of the season was great for him, and alluding to it being the reason Lock was successful to finish the year. I think they know that the Flacco move was a failure, and matching up Scrangerello and his style of offense to Flacco was beyond stupid. I think they themselves probably feel like holding Lock off and sticking with Flacco for so long was the wrong move, and Lock probably should of been playing earlier.

Could it be that there is actually something to this virtual reality training that we keep hearing so much about? After watching Locks struggles throughout the preseason and then witnessing the jump he made late in the season, Iím starting to believe that there might be something to this.

As far as the media goes, Those guys are paid to speculate on any and everything. As long as there are stat sheets and analytics, they can go on forever, doesnít mean much.

For the last two days the talking heads in Denver have been doing nothing but speculating on the possibility of Tua Tagovailoa being on the board at number 15.

Although I think Tagovailoa will be a fantastic player in the NFL eventually, I am totally against going that route.

I saw enough of Drew lock in the last five games of the season to say that the kid deserves a chance and right now I am not sure any of the quarterbacks coming out of the 2020 draft could do what Drew lock Just did as a rookie coming off IR.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Also true, however you have to admit the whole situation did not add up. I believe Elway wanted to avoid fans becoming unruly demanding Lock play while Flacco was healthy and we were losing. I also believe Elway still thinks the best approach to developing quarterbacks is by sitting them on the sideline, and I think that was probably a part of the equation too, despite it being proven to be a failed approach.

I also find it funny Elway and Fangio have gone out of their way on numerous occasions to mention that Lock sitting for the first half of the season was great for him, and alluding to it being the reason Lock was successful to finish the year. I think they know that the Flacco move was a failure, and matching up Scrangerello and his style of offense to Flacco was beyond stupid. I think they themselves probably feel like holding Lock off and sticking with Flacco for so long was the wrong move, and Lock probably should of been playing earlier.
    I would argue that without any of us being at practice, at film sessions and in position meetings we have zero idea whether Lock was ready to play, nor whether he would have had success if played earlier.

One thing I will point to (while stressing that I don't think it was a negative) was how during the first few games starting Lock would be reading his wrist band to go over the play before the ball was snapped. Again I don't think that in itself is bad, the 2019 NFL MVP has done similar things this season before plays, but I will say that it shows me he's not 100% confident in his command of the offence. Because he's reading it to make sure that he knows every single aspect of the play. Again it's not a bad thing, because I'd rather he double check the play and know it then not and be wrong about what was happening. But if a QB is still having to read the play several times before the snap in game 12, can we be 100% positive that he was ready to run the offense in game 4?

As for Elway not 100% going all in and stating Lock is the present and future of the team, I think that's just simply because he's started 5 games. It's already clear that there won't be a QB competition this year, Lock will be the guy going into the offseason and camp(although I expect this place to meltdown if they sign a veteran to backup), but he will have to continue to earn everything, which is the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Could it be that there is actually something to this virtual reality training that we keep hearing so much about? After watching Locks struggles throughout the preseason and then witnessing the jump he made late in the season, I’m starting to believe that there might be something to this.

As far as the media goes, Those guys are paid to speculate on any and everything. As long as there are stat sheets and analytics, they can go on forever, doesn’t mean much.

For the last two days the talking heads in Denver have been doing nothing but speculating on the possibility of Tua Tagovailoa being on the board at number 15.

Although I think Tagovailoa will be a fantastic player in the NFL eventually, I am totally against going that route.

I saw enough of Drew lock in the last five games of the season to say that the kid deserves a chance and right now I am not sure any of the quarterbacks coming out of the 2020 draft could do what Drew lock Just did as a rookie coming off IR.

I actually think there's a lot to the virtual reality and his jump. Apparently Flacco had a camera in his helmet for practice (and I've read games as well in a couple of places) and that video is what the VR was based on.

I think part of his maturing (and some will disagree I'm sure) has been Flacco mentoring him. I know he got a bad wrap in Baltimore, but he was seen talking to Lock a lot on the sidelines, both when he was playing and then after Lock became the starter. And there's talk that Flacco would stay in Denver as a backup to Lock (although there's no way Denver will on that salary) if he can't be a starter elsewhere.

Like you I'm also of the believe that Lock should be the unquestioned starter going into 2020. But I also agree with what I believe Elway and Fangio or saying (or implying by what they're not saying) that he'll need to continue to earn it.

Great points about the wristband. It in itself is no big deal. But it does illustrate some lack of 'recall' which is the norm for a rook. Earlier he'd clearly be less 'ready'. Obviously his physical traits are there.

We can all see Lock is not shy. If anything you might need to manage his ego a little bit. And that's a great trait in a QB. You don't need some shrinking violet back there. Maybe that's part of what we're hearing from Bronco Brass. Just not feeding the beast ego too much when he hasn't really shown yet everything needed to be 100% -- this is our guy. I'm quite surprised to hear some fans and media saying that they have seen EVERYTHING they need to know that Drew Lock is a franchise QB. .........he hasn't yet. I'm not knocking him at all - he's really shown out well.

It might be a tricky dance when you're playing psychology. And to err on the side of caution is a good thing imho
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

It's good for Buzz to stay in contact with Star Command.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post

Maybe the time off was helpful? Lock even admitted it himself. No way to ever know. One thing I do know is that Lock has momentum headed into the off-season as the unquestioned starter and leader of this team. Regardless of how the whole situation was handled, that should've been the main goal at the beginning of 2019 and now we are here.

Does anybody know what coach Fangios meatball recipe is?
    I saw it on YouTube today and I was just wondering what it was, and what the recipe actually is?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I like this very much.

Everyone has an opinion on how Elway and Fangio dealt with the Lock situation.

I donít think anybody believes the Flacco move wasnít a big mistake by Elway.

While he got that wrong he drafted Lock when the other 31 teams passed on him.

Elway got us Lock and heís our guy is what matters now!

My hope is that we use this draft to build an offense around him so we can go toe to toe vs KC.
    Outscored 53-9 last year SMH 🤦*♂️.......