Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Drew Lock 28 TDs 7 ints
    That would easily be the best year for a Denver QB not named Manning or Elway. Crazy thing is, I think it happens, or even better. I think Lock takes a huge step forward and we have a 3rd strong draft. Sign me up.

Finding it hard to be enthusiastic about this hire. Nothing against Shurmur or what he may bring. It is more about the change itself. More indecision and instability from Elway.

Not disagreeing that the offensive production sucked. But how much of that was due to the lack of talent? The chaos at QB? The oline struggles? Minimal WR talent after trading Sanders mid season? What exactly did a first year OC have to work with, especially as he tried to grow into the job himself.

Shurmur may have the experience and track record but do the Broncos have the roster to do what he wants? Can they build it this summer? How fast does Lock and the rest of the team adjust to the change of system? Whoís out and whoís in?

Iíll be holding off any mock drafts until they give us an idea of how they plan to make this work.

Bad teams are bad teams for a reason. Constant coaching changes and all the upheaval it caused to roster and consistency is one big indicator.

Hoping Shurmur is the answer. But have to be a bit cynical he isnít.

Iím actually encouraged by this move. It will be interesting to see how well he and Lock work together this offseason.

With such a young offense, an experienced coach is a good thing.

Also, it was pretty obvious Vic and Scangs did not see eye to eye. Iím thinking that whole LaCanforta (sp?)thing was Scangs all along.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Hmm.

We'll see, I guess.
    We needed a more aggressive play caller in order to compete with Kansas City. We may have the QB, and now we may have that play caller.

Transition over to more of what Mike Munchaks prefers and we should be able to hold our own.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-13-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    That would easily be the best year for a Denver QB not named Manning or Elway. Crazy thing is, I think it happens, or even better. I think Lock takes a huge step forward and we have a 3rd strong draft. Sign me up.
    Yep Iím feelin it to!

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Finding it hard to be enthusiastic about this hire. Nothing against Shurmur or what he may bring. It is more about the change itself. More indecision and instability from Elway.

Not disagreeing that the offensive production sucked. But how much of that was due to the lack of talent? The chaos at QB? The oline struggles? Minimal WR talent after trading Sanders mid season? What exactly did a first year OC have to work with, especially as he tried to grow into the job himself.

Shurmur may have the experience and track record but do the Broncos have the roster to do what he wants? Can they build it this summer? How fast does Lock and the rest of the team adjust to the change of system? Whoís out and whoís in?

Iíll be holding off any mock drafts until they give us an idea of how they plan to make this work.

Bad teams are bad teams for a reason. Constant coaching changes and all the upheaval it caused to roster and consistency is one big indicator.

Hoping Shurmur is the answer. But have to be a bit cynical he isnít.
    Scangarello was far too conservative while Shurmur is a lot more aggressive and unafraid.
    Not sure if this has much to do with Elway as one may think. Itís more Fangio, pushing for his guy and John saying WTH go get him.

After reading some of the posts here, Iím a little impressed by the hire. Hopefully it works out for the best.

Raw deal for Scangarello though.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moyer918 View Post
    Now youíre making Lock learn a new system again. Not that Lock canít do it. But this is the same reason that Lynch was a failure. Revolving door at OC. So sick of seeing this with this team
    Lynch failed because he was lazy and unmotivated, and wouldn't put in the work. Lock obviously doesn't have that same issue, and has been working his tail off to learn the system and improve his game. Continuity has its benefits but so does consistently good play calling; you can't stick with an OC who isn't working just because you don't want the QB to need to learn a new playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    Lynch failed because he was lazy and unmotivated, and wouldn't put in the work. Lock obviously doesn't have that same issue, and has been working his tail off to learn the system and improve his game. Continuity has its benefits but so does consistently good play calling; you can't stick with an OC who isn't working just because you don't want the QB to need to learn a new playbook.
    Lynch was a big part of Lynch's issues, but losing Kubiak and getting a McCoy with one foot out the door was definitely an issue as well.

Scangarello had a few critiques in high profile positions and I thought he called some poor plays in critical situations this year. I hate to see him out in just one year. But, it looks like the Offense can only get better with PS and his experience.

How much Lynch worked is likely not something any of us really know. According to his Wonderlic score it might simply be that he had a hard time comprehending things in the way the coaching staff coached. Tebow who supposedly is dyslexic and did not always sound like the sharpest tool in the shed posted a 22 and Paxton an 18, when the average QB scores 26.

Lynch did not have the grasp that Siemian did, and we don't know if it was a coaching issue or a Paxton Lynch issue.

In reality Lock's first five games are much the same as Siemian's first five, though it took Siemian 13 starts before he posted a game where the offense did not produce double digit scores. It took Tebow 14 starts to do that.

It is great with the love for Lock, but his job is that his offense must outscore ex. the Chiefs in head to head games, and that does not seem to be an easy task. It seems that we need an ten fold increase in the scoring to keep up, so lets noot build up Lock too much.

Sounds like the majority here like the hire, so I am taking that as a "good thing". Just that we've changed over a lot in the last few years. BUT, if this is the move we should make, with Lock in control, I'm liking it.

Good post.

I am very happy we have moved on from Scang. He seemed in over his head and I think the learning curve was a little too steep for him at the present time. I believe we can do much better. Not so sure about PS, Iím not a huge fan. But I believe it will be a big step in the right direction just by moving on from Scang and getting someone with more experience callin plays so overall I am happy with the move.

Correct me if Iím wrong, Schurmurís offense rarely use a fullback and run a lot of sets through the shot gun.

Quote Originally Posted by montee2ball View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, Schurmur’s offense rarely use a fullback and run a lot of sets through the shot gun.
    That's what someone said on an earlier post in this thread or another, related one. The comment was that Pat Shurmur favors a lot of three WR formations. That would probably be 11 personnel. Those formations can be gun or under. A lot of 11 personnel formations would seem to require more WRs and fewer TE/FBs. Another question about Shurmur's O is what style of rushing attack does he favor: zone steps, angle blocks or both?

Defensive coaches do nothing but study offenses. Vic Fangio knows what style of offense causes him the biggest problems. He could just turn the O over to Pat Shurmur, or he could give him some parameters. An effective rushing attack in a balanced offense can be generated from Spread Formations. However, when the D expects the run in short yardage/4 minute O/clock killing situations, 21/22 personnel formations can be effective.

It will be interesting to observe. Shurmur has seven years experience as an NFL OC, five as an NFL HC and has coached TEs, O-Line and QBs at the NFL level.

P.S. The last four times Shurmur has called O against Fangio's D, Shurmur's team has come out on top. Perhaps that is the way he has earned Fangio's confidence.
    Last edited by samparnell; 01-13-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: correction and post script
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus