Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

New OC Pat Shurmur

Last edited by L.M.; 01-12-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Joe Rowles of Mile High Report had a chance to speak with a guy who mentored under Shurmur in the past and provided some good notes on what we might expect from the veteran NFL coach.

Here is a breakdown of that threaded tweet:

-Reid-tree guy but way more bland.
    -Run game is mostly IZ.
    -Passing game is vanilla WCO w/ some predictable 3rd and 5 chip kelly meshes sprinkled in.
    -Runs more ISO routes than you first realize.
    -Likes nakeds and flood a lot.
    -Coaching style is really like a defensive guy.
    -He is not a bad play caller with sequencing etc, but more of a synthesizer of a play caller than say an “innovator.”
    -Wants a 50-50 run/pass balance
    -”I am not sure why he didn’t boot Jones a lot more this year, there has to be a story there. “
    -Mentioned it was interesting that Shurmur would be the hire if Fangio wanted more aggressive.

This will be Drew Lock’s fifth offensive coordinator in six seasons in both college and the NFL, but Shurmur’s biggest claim to success is how well he has coached quarterbacks into winning football games.
    From Nick Foles in Philly, to Case Keenum in Minnesota, and to rookie Daniel Jones last season, he has a record of success with quarterback development.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...ve-coordinator

In 2017 Shurmur managed to make Case Keenum a lot of money, and we took the bait. In that same year Shurmur had the offense running the ball at an impressive clip, with the team ranking 7th in total rushing yards. Shurmur probably still has a head coaching job if Jones doesn't fumble away multiple games on his way to tieing the league record for lost fumbles in a season. This is great news, and it will be great to have some qualified people leading the offense, great move.

Should be an improvement, hopefully this isn't another Mike McCoy situation.

I think the main goal for Fangio was getting an experienced play caller, because Scangs looked like a deer in the headlights most of the time.

With how the Offense performed last season, Ranked in bottom 5 in Points, Yards, 3rd down and Red Zone percentage's.

This should give the young Offensive players more ammo to up their games and be more successful.

Watching the playoffs, the Broncos will have K.C. to deal with, and you have to score (alot) to win as today they gave Houston a 21 point handi-cap. Then went on a rampage ( First payoff game where a team losing by 20 points then go on to win by over 20 ) and the defense is not bad at all.

The Broncos cannot have a miscue, they need to be at their Top game to prepare for next season.

Shurmer is a guy who seems to be better working as a coordinator than a head coach. He's had a better track record of implementing an offensive system, rather than as a head coach running the team.... offense, defense, special teams....it was not his strength. That's just the way it is with some guys.

I think this is a good hire!
    Hopefully he sticks around awhile.

Well I’ll be the first to say I hate it. Very uninspiring hire to me.

Thinkin this will be a good thing.....
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg[/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Joe Rowles of Mile High Report had a chance to speak with a guy who mentored under Shurmur in the past and provided some good notes on what we might expect from the veteran NFL coach.

Here is a breakdown of that threaded tweet:

-Reid-tree guy but way more bland.
    -Run game is mostly IZ.
    -Passing game is vanilla WCO w/ some predictable 3rd and 5 chip kelly meshes sprinkled in.
    -Runs more ISO routes than you first realize.
    -Likes nakeds and flood a lot.
    -Coaching style is really like a defensive guy.
    -He is not a bad play caller with sequencing etc, but more of a synthesizer of a play caller than say an “innovator.”
    -Wants a 50-50 run/pass balance
    -”I am not sure why he didn’t boot Jones a lot more this year, there has to be a story there. “
    -Mentioned it was interesting that Shurmur would be the hire if Fangio wanted more aggressive.

This will be Drew Lock’s fifth offensive coordinator in six seasons in both college and the NFL, but Shurmur’s biggest claim to success is how well he has coached quarterbacks into winning football games.
    From Nick Foles in Philly, to Case Keenum in Minnesota, and to rookie Daniel Jones last season, he has a record of success with quarterback development.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...ve-coordinator
    I don't like like hearing "bland", "vanilla", and "predictable".

Here's how his offenses ranked:

St. Louis Rams (2009–2010)
    Offensive coordinator

2009 Rams Offense: 32nd pts, 29th yds
    2010 Rams Offense: 26th pts, 26th yds

Philadelphia Eagles (2013–2015)
    Offensive coordinator

2013 Eagles Offense: 4th pts, 2nd yds
    2014 Eagles Offense: 3rd pts, 5th yds
    2015 Eagles Offense: 13th pts, 12th yds

Minnesota Vikings (2017)
    Offensive coordinator

2017 Vikings Offense: 10th pts, 11th yds

The Ram's years under Spags with Bulger at QB followed by a rookie Sam Bradford were rough. I think it's remarkable that he was able to get so much out of Keenum in Minn though.

I just hope he's good for Lock.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

This is an absolutely terrible hire. This hire will result in Vic being fired next season. Just hope that when Shula is fired he doesn't bring him. Because looking at Jones this past season, he showed natural promise, but also showed ZERO signs of coachable improvements. Not happy about him around our QB. Just sounds like a bad matchup.

Reid tree coaches are like Belicheat tree coaches........Terrible outside of Philly or Andy.
    #swapping

I think beyond the play-calling aspect... DEN must believe PS’s track record working with young QBs is up to the standard we need right now with Lock.

Scaga is credited for being a sort of QB guru, so that might’ve been enough to keep him here despite his poor play-calling and supposed rift with vets like Flacco and Sanders.

Shurmur did enough with Daniel Jones, IMHO.

Fangio now gets “his” guy and somebody to complete the room.

Let’s find the offense some toys in the draft and hope for a top 15 unit!

Not a bad OC. Honestly surprised we dumped Scangs after just 1 year.

Shurmer is good, but I worry about Lock. It's usually not a good thing for young QBs to learn mulitple offenses in their first couple seasons. Lock is back to square one. He proved he wants to work hard, but already a brand new offense to learn.

I'm not feeling great about the move, but I don't hate it. Hopefully Pat can come in and maximize the talent of our young pieces. And hopefully Lock is ready to take on a whole new offense in year 2.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    This is an absolutely terrible hire. This hire will result in Vic being fired next season. Just hope that when Shula is fired he doesn't bring him. Because looking at Jones this past season, he showed natural promise, but also showed ZERO signs of coachable improvements. Not happy about him around our QB. Just sounds like a bad matchup.

Reid tree coaches are like Belicheat tree coaches........Terrible outside of Philly or Andy.
    Lol I agreed with you until the bottom part. Vrabel is kind of in the afc title game.