Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    There's no way Lock isn't the week 1 starter in 2020. No QB available at 15 will be better than Lock and no free agent offers more than Lock at this point. Not even Brady.

Brady was decent in New England this year but really started to show his age. And NE's offensive situation wasn't exactly worse than ours. There's not much reason to believe Brady could do much at 43 years old, behind our o-line, and having only Sutton to throw to.

It would be hard for the FO and Elway to sell the fans on anything but Lock going into 2020. The revolving door at QB since Manning's retirement needs to stop. There's no guarantee that Lock will be the franchise guy, but he's earned the right to be the guy going into next year.

Weird discussion. Shurmur hire only means good things for Lock. This is type of offense you want to run if you're catering to his skill set and experience. Anything is possible, but Lock losing the job before preseason is unlikely at best.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I hope so. But you're talking about men in their late 50s and early 60s, who have shown little inclination in their history in developing quarterbacks. If Brady is available and interested I have no doubt they'll dump Lock in a heartbeat. Keep in mind their original plan was for Lock to sit for 3 years while Flacco led the team.
    One, Lock just won 4 of 5 games for us, as a rookie with a late start to his season.
    Two, Brady will not come here
    Three, I am not convinced Brady is that good anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    No QB available at 15 will be better than Lock
    I don't think that is necessarily true, but the big advantage to Lock is, he is already here, and that 15th overall pick would be able to be spent elsewhere. But if Lock is available against this class of prospects, I don't know if he stacks up as a top 15 pick, like he didn't last year in a weaker quarterback class.

Lock showed a lot of leadership, work ethic, positive attitude and talent. Rookies don’t usually look as good and act as maturely as Lock did.

I get the idea that the FO “could” go for a different QB. I personally don’t think they “should”.

I don’t care that he beat weaker teams. They were still NFL teams and they were 3-8 before he took the reigns. Starting all over again sounds like a bad idea to me.

IMO the move to Shurmur is about establishing an experienced staff to go with our promising young offense. Lock is the guy. If they draft a QB #1 it would be a dumb move IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Lock showed a lot of leadership, work ethic, positive attitude and talent. Rookies don’t usually look as good and act as maturely as Lock did.

I get the idea that the FO “could” go for a different QB. I personally don’t think they “should”.

I don’t care that he beat weaker teams. They were still NFL teams and they were 3-8 before he took the reigns. Starting all over again sounds like a bad idea to me.

IMO the move to Shurmur is about establishing an experienced staff to go with our promising young offense. Lock is the guy. If they draft a QB #1 it would be a dumb move IMO.
    Lock is our guy. Not even sure why this is being contested. You are so right.

Tua can’t stay healthy. Herbert became a head case. Fromm looks to be an imposter. Hurts is not Mahomes, (heck he’s not even Josh Allen). Tom Brady is an ancient cheetah statue that should just skip the retirement community and go straight to the pre historic museum of antiquity!!!

This is Modernity and Drew Lock is our guy! Enough said!!!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-13-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't think that is necessarily true, but the big advantage to Lock is, he is already here, and that 15th overall pick would be able to be spent elsewhere. But if Lock is available against this class of prospects, I don't know if he stacks up as a top 15 pick, like he didn't last year in a weaker quarterback class.
    honestly if people saw him play the last 5 games the way he did in the nfl. he would have gone in the top ten. he showed nothing but promise most of what he seems to be lacking is mental and footwork. both of which can be improved and fixed as he grows.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Anyone who thinks Lock won't be the starter is delusional. I don't know why anyone wants Tom Brady in the first place. He's a system QB and won't be good on any other team. If Elway moved on from Lock that would be his worst move. Lock is the most promising young QB we've had in Denver for a while. We should try and build with him.
    Go Hard or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    honestly if people saw him play the last 5 games the way he did in the nfl. he would have gone in the top ten. he showed nothing but promise most of what he seems to be lacking is mental and footwork. both of which can be improved and fixed as he grows.
    Doubtful. I think Lock done well, especially in the circumstances, but he didn't light the world on fire like people are acting like he did. Don't get me wrong, I think he is the starter moving forward, and earned every chance to be the guy here next year, but he didn't light it up.

I think Lock was poised, showed great awareness, flashed his talent, and he managed the games well. But outside of one half of football against Houston, I wouldn't say he looked anything more than average, or any better than Siemian did in his first 5 starts, than Mullins in his first 5 starts, than Minshew in his first 5 starts, or Allen in his first 5 starts. I get we are all encouraged, but I don't think he lit it up to the point of saying what you said here.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    One, Lock just won 4 of 5 games for us, as a rookie with a late start to his season.
    Two, Brady will not come here
    Three, I am not convinced Brady is that good anymore
    Brady's done.

I watched a couple pats games this year. Watching Tommy was deja vu to watching Manning his last year. Not much zip, rarely made plays downfield. With only one reliable target in Edelman, Brady simply wasnt up to the task of making any other receiver into a consistent threat.

Oh he may play again, but his days of being the primary reason for winning games is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Shurmur also has a proven track record of developing young QB's. He has turned nobody's into pro bowl players.

I'm going over various articles about the switch to Shurmur. My first reaction was that I wondered if Fant could be that 'WR3' in an actual 2TE set as Shurmur has been reported as favoring the 3WR. Then I saw this from SI:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...roncos-offense

3. Tight Ends & Fullbacks Lose Value

Now, this doesn’t apply to Noah Fant. His athleticism should and will be weaponized by Shurmur and be a big role in maximizing the spacing for the offense. I'm talking about the tight ends behind Fant who are going to take a hit, as well as FB Andy Janovich.

The reason for this is simple. Shurmur’s offense doesn’t utilize them nearly as often as they were/would’ve been under Scangarello. Janovich will still have a role and be a key cog on special teams, but look for him less on offense. As a result of usage, the need for a long-term No. 2 tight end possibility isn’t there.

It will be interesting to see what changes come to the Broncos' tight end room as a result of these changes. Austin Fort, Troy Fumagalli, Bug Howard, Austin Beck, and Jake Butt have all been put on notice. Between those guys, there may be one spot open in the Shurmur offense.

...so I'm kind of wondering how this is going to look. Sutton/Patrick/Hamilton? With Fant and Lindsey? The author thinks that FB and back up TE are going to be minimized to a great degree. The other thing that the SI article mentions is spacing. Forcing the Defenders into certain parts of the field simply by attacking multiple zones. Honestly...from what I've seen Jano and Booker do a better job of taking advantage of running lanes and getting open in the passing game then Freeman.

Interesting take by that writer, not sure where he pulled that junk about the tight-ends from, complete load of crap from every angle possible. In 2017 Shurmur had Kyle Rudolph record 57 catches for 532 yards with no other tight-end talent on the roster. In 2018 Evan Engram had 45 catches for 577 yards, and Rhett Elisson had 25 catches for 272 yards. In 2019 Evan Engram had 44 catches for 467 yards, and Rhett Elisson had 18 catches for 167 yards. These are his recent results of individual tight-end production.

"Not as utilised as often as Scangarello would of" ? Denver this past season targeted one of their top 2 tight ends 107 times, dwarfed by New York and Shurmur who targeted their top 2 guys 140 times, for the 7th most in the league. If we look back to 2018 as well Shurmur and his offense targeted tight-ends the 10th most in the NFL, again more often than Denver this past season. Maybe this writer looked at just 2017 with the Vikings when they went to their top 2 tight-ends only 97 times, but this claim is pure junk.

Again pointing to this writer being a complete fool, Shurmur has a background as a tight-end coach, I am sure he believes the position is valuable, this writer is a deadset idiot. I also went back and looked at Shurmurs last stint as an offensive coordinator with the Eagles and the tight-end production in those years. In 2013 through 2015, this is where his offense ranked in terms of targeting the top 2 tight-ends.

2015: 5th most targets in the NFL
    2014: 6th most targets in the NFL
    2013:13th most targets in the NFL

Now, when you add all this up, and consider his history as a tight-end coach, I think it is safe to say this writer has no clue what he is talking about. With guys like Zach Ertz, Evan Engram, and Kyle Rudolph flourishing in Shurmurs offense in recent times, along with Shurmurs history as a tight-end coach, I think you could write an article saying the complete opposite to this fan writer. I think we could look at Fant as potentially being a huge beneficiary of this move if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Doubtful. I think Lock done well, especially in the circumstances, but he didn't light the world on fire like people are acting like he did. Don't get me wrong, I think he is the starter moving forward, and earned every chance to be the guy here next year, but he didn't light it up.

I think Lock was poised, showed great awareness, flashed his talent, and he managed the games well. But outside of one half of football against Houston, I wouldn't say he looked anything more than average, or any better than Siemian did in his first 5 starts, than Mullins in his first 5 starts, than Minshew in his first 5 starts, or Allen in his first 5 starts. I get we are all encouraged, but I don't think he lit it up to the point of saying what you said here.
    Stats may have been average but the eye test was beyond average he has a great arm and is a good athlete. He also has a great work ethic behind him the amount he changed from preseason to his first start was great. I feel he is jay cutler with a better work ethic and mentality. Which is really all cutler lacked from being an elite qb. Cutler was also taken 11th I believe. I believe if someone saw the growth he made combined with his arm talent and athletics he would have gone in the first round. He has top quality traits.