Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The Giants, top to bottom, have been a poorly run organization as of late. The last few years of Tom Coughlin, Ben MacAdoo and GM Jerry Reese, produced poor draft and player development. They have had only one playoff appearance since 2012 and they have a front office that, for years, refused to move on Eli Manning. I thought Daniel Jones, despite his fumbling issue, had a decent rookie season, considering he wasn't getting starting reps until three weeks into the season, his top two receivers, Shepard and Tate, TE Engram, and Saquon, all missed multiple games. Not to mention, the Giants offensive line is putrid. And their defense is one of the worst in the league. Oh, and they traded away OBJ. I don't think Shurmer got a legitimate chance in New York to succeed.

Not sure how I feel about this. The bad thing about Scangarello is if he turned out to be a good OC he would bolt to be a HC. At least with Shurmur his HC days are over. I like the thought of him and Munch running the offense while Vic and Donatell run the defense. My only concern is Lock having to learn a whole new system.

Make no mistake, I don't think think Shurmer is a Super Bowl caliber head coach but I think he is, and can be, a very good offensive coordinator for us. I was just saying we can't judge him as an OC based on what happened with the Giants.
    Last edited by sra84; 01-12-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Wonder what changes will be made to the rest of the offensive staff?

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this. The bad thing about Scangarello is if he turned out to be a good OC he would bolt to be a HC. At least with Shurmur his HC days are over. I like the thought of him and Munch running the offense while Vic and Donatell run the defense. My only concern is Lock having to learn a whole new system.
    IIRC, Shurmur runs a run-heavy variant of the WCO similar to Shanahan/Scangarello so it shouldn't be a radically-different system.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

“Shurmur is known to have scouted Lock extensively before last April's NFL draft, and some of his close associates in the league said Sunday they believed he preferred Lock over Daniel Jones, whom the Giants selected in the first round.

Shurmur will now follow Rick Dennison (2016), Mike McCoy (2017), Bill Musgrave (2018) and Scangarello (2019) as Denver's offensive coordinators.“

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Where was the good in that resume? Did you watch Daniel Jones this year? So much bad coaching with him this season. It was one of main topics for the NY area beat writers.
    I tend to agree. He had the best young RB in the league, and a supposed good young QB, picked much higher than Lock.....and they were 23rd in the league in total O. We had Flacco and then a backup for most of the year, and then Lock came along and we won 4 of 5. Not sure how this computes. If Shurmur was coming from a decent team, I might like it. But where's the proof?

Where was the good in that resume? Did you watch Daniel Jones this year? So much bad coaching with him this season. It was one of main topics for the NY area beat writers.
    To be fair to Pat Shurmur, the Giants have become a terrible team, so all the coaches would look bad. Put them under a real team and you'll see quite the improvement for some.

A guy can't even go take a nap and do some chores without even being consulted... crazy.

It isn't that Scangs had a great year, he didn't, but there was noticeable improvement when Lock came in. A lot has to do with better, even if unpredictable to start, play under center - but still Conventional wisdom would suggest he gets a second year, right?

I don't know if I am comfortable with this right now. Maybe being somewhat unconventional is good; we're breaking a mold (a moldy one at that), yet...

Well, for whatever it's worth, at least it's done early and work can get done sooner than later. Such a big change means high expectations, though with a 2nd year of Scangs I think the expectations were high already after the honeymoon year, so we're back to square one.

My head hurts.

From wiki:

In 2002, Shurmur was named the team’s quarterback coach. In that role, Shumur helped shape Donovan McNabb into the most prolific passer in Eagles history. McNabb holds nearly every Eagles career passing record, and in 2008, he set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 yards. In 2004, Shurmur and McNabb helped guide the Eagles to their first Super Bowl appearance since the 1980 season.

On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.[2]

He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.[1]

Shurmur also made a tangible impact on Sam Bradford’s immediate success as a rookie in 2010. The first-overall pick out of the University of Oklahoma set NFL rookie records for most consecutive passes without an interception (169) and most completions (354). Under Shurmur’s tutelage, Bradford finished the season with a 60.0 completion percentage, 3,512 yards and 18 touchdown passes, winning the AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

On January 20, 2013, Shurmur accepted a job with the Philadelphia Eagles as their offensive coordinator.[7] Working alongside new head coach Chip Kelly, Shurmur helped orchestrate one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL. Shurmur led an offense that set a number of team records, including points (442), total net yards (6,676), touchdowns (53), passing yards (4,406) and fewest turnovers (19) en route to an NFC East title. Additionally, the Eagles set an NFL record with 99 plays of 20+ yards and became the first team since the 1991 Buffalo Bills to lead the league in rushing while ranking last in time of possession.[1]

Shurmur’s unique ability to develop young talent at the quarterback position was once again on display in 2013. Second-year QB Nick Foles enjoyed a breakout season under the direction of Shurmur, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions while posting the third-best QB rating (119.2) and third-lowest interception percentage (0.63%) in NFL history. Foles also became just the seventh player in league history to throw for seven touchdowns in a game during a match-up against the Oakland Raiders, and one of three who have done so without throwing an interception.

On January 25, 2016, the Minnesota Vikings named Shurmur their new tight ends coach.[9] On November 2, 2016, the Vikings promoted him to interim Offensive Coordinator in the wake of Norv Turner's resignation.[10] He was confirmed for the position for the 2017 season.[11] The Vikings finished the season ranked 11th highest scoring offense, after being only 28th overall in 2016. Second-string quarterback Case Keenum posted the best season of his five-year NFL career, after taking over for Sam Bradford, who suffered a knee injury in Week 1. Shurmur was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for the 2017 season.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

“Fangio met with Scangarello at the Broncos’ facility to give him the news and a source said the decision was “all” Fangio’s, although general manager John Elway was in the loop. The Broncos’ coaches had been on vacation since Dec. 31, two days after completing a 7-9 season.

In a statement, Fangio said: “After a lot of consideration and discussion after the season, I determined that a change at offensive coordinator ultimately would be best for our team. We need to do everything we can to get better — in all areas — as we start working toward next year. Rich is a bright coach with a great future ahead of him. I appreciate all of his hard work and thank him for his contributions to the Broncos.”

In a text message to The Denver Post, Scangarello declined to provide an immediate comment about his dismissal.

A source said Fangio wants a play-caller who is more willing to take shots downfield and provide more diverse looks for opponents.”

Denver Post

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    From wiki:

In 2002, Shurmur was named the team’s quarterback coach. In that role, Shumur helped shape Donovan McNabb into the most prolific passer in Eagles history. McNabb holds nearly every Eagles career passing record, and in 2008, he set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 yards. In 2004, Shurmur and McNabb helped guide the Eagles to their first Super Bowl appearance since the 1980 season.

On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.[2]

He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.[1]

Shurmur also made a tangible impact on Sam Bradford’s immediate success as a rookie in 2010. The first-overall pick out of the University of Oklahoma set NFL rookie records for most consecutive passes without an interception (169) and most completions (354). Under Shurmur’s tutelage, Bradford finished the season with a 60.0 completion percentage, 3,512 yards and 18 touchdown passes, winning the AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

On January 20, 2013, Shurmur accepted a job with the Philadelphia Eagles as their offensive coordinator.[7] Working alongside new head coach Chip Kelly, Shurmur helped orchestrate one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL. Shurmur led an offense that set a number of team records, including points (442), total net yards (6,676), touchdowns (53), passing yards (4,406) and fewest turnovers (19) en route to an NFC East title. Additionally, the Eagles set an NFL record with 99 plays of 20+ yards and became the first team since the 1991 Buffalo Bills to lead the league in rushing while ranking last in time of possession.[1]

Shurmur’s unique ability to develop young talent at the quarterback position was once again on display in 2013. Second-year QB Nick Foles enjoyed a breakout season under the direction of Shurmur, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions while posting the third-best QB rating (119.2) and third-lowest interception percentage (0.63%) in NFL history. Foles also became just the seventh player in league history to throw for seven touchdowns in a game during a match-up against the Oakland Raiders, and one of three who have done so without throwing an interception.

On January 25, 2016, the Minnesota Vikings named Shurmur their new tight ends coach.[9] On November 2, 2016, the Vikings promoted him to interim Offensive Coordinator in the wake of Norv Turner's resignation.[10] He was confirmed for the position for the 2017 season.[11] The Vikings finished the season ranked 11th highest scoring offense, after being only 28th overall in 2016. Second-string quarterback Case Keenum posted the best season of his five-year NFL career, after taking over for Sam Bradford, who suffered a knee injury in Week 1. Shurmur was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for the 2017 season.
    And..... we'll be able to add Lock to that list after next years "break out" season

Methinks... Fangio, Shurmur, Elway and Lock are here for 2020 and 2021 season. Finally, Broncos may enjoy some continuity for a couple seasons.

I honestly thought Scangarello would get another year, but can’t escape the horrible production in 2019. To be fair it’s not all on Scangarello considering the poor play by Flacco and the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I honestly thought Scangarello would get another year, but can’t escape the horrible production in 2019. To be fair it’s not all on Scangarello considering the poor play by Flacco and the line.

I would tend to agree with that, if Scangarello didn't treat Flacco like a mobile quarterback making him run naked bootlegs, and constant rollouts. I am not blaming his poor play on the coach, but you need to cater to your players strengths, and not leaning on the run game when we had the offensive line we had is another example of his incompetence. A couple huge reasons why I wanted him fired from pretty much week 3.