Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    From wiki:

In 2002, Shurmur was named the team’s quarterback coach. In that role, Shumur helped shape Donovan McNabb into the most prolific passer in Eagles history. McNabb holds nearly every Eagles career passing record, and in 2008, he set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 yards. In 2004, Shurmur and McNabb helped guide the Eagles to their first Super Bowl appearance since the 1980 season.

On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.[2]

He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.[1]

Shurmur also made a tangible impact on Sam Bradford’s immediate success as a rookie in 2010. The first-overall pick out of the University of Oklahoma set NFL rookie records for most consecutive passes without an interception (169) and most completions (354). Under Shurmur’s tutelage, Bradford finished the season with a 60.0 completion percentage, 3,512 yards and 18 touchdown passes, winning the AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

On January 20, 2013, Shurmur accepted a job with the Philadelphia Eagles as their offensive coordinator.[7] Working alongside new head coach Chip Kelly, Shurmur helped orchestrate one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL. Shurmur led an offense that set a number of team records, including points (442), total net yards (6,676), touchdowns (53), passing yards (4,406) and fewest turnovers (19) en route to an NFC East title. Additionally, the Eagles set an NFL record with 99 plays of 20+ yards and became the first team since the 1991 Buffalo Bills to lead the league in rushing while ranking last in time of possession.[1]

Shurmur’s unique ability to develop young talent at the quarterback position was once again on display in 2013. Second-year QB Nick Foles enjoyed a breakout season under the direction of Shurmur, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions while posting the third-best QB rating (119.2) and third-lowest interception percentage (0.63%) in NFL history. Foles also became just the seventh player in league history to throw for seven touchdowns in a game during a match-up against the Oakland Raiders, and one of three who have done so without throwing an interception.

On January 25, 2016, the Minnesota Vikings named Shurmur their new tight ends coach.[9] On November 2, 2016, the Vikings promoted him to interim Offensive Coordinator in the wake of Norv Turner's resignation.[10] He was confirmed for the position for the 2017 season.[11] The Vikings finished the season ranked 11th highest scoring offense, after being only 28th overall in 2016. Second-string quarterback Case Keenum posted the best season of his five-year NFL career, after taking over for Sam Bradford, who suffered a knee injury in Week 1. Shurmur was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for the 2017 season.
    Fair enough. I just really hope we get better play calling than what he did in NY. Because everything on what you posted was the complete opposite of what was going on with Jones this season. The reports of lack of work on his mechanics, as well as other offensive deficiencies make this hire extremely questionable.

And I hope this wasn’t a move to get more “insight” on what Andy is doing in KC. Because that will backfire in epic fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I honestly thought Scangarello would get another year, but can’t escape the horrible production in 2019. To be fair it’s not all on Scangarello considering the poor play by Flacco and the line.

I'm guessing that Shurmur is a Fangio guy. It's interesting to me that Scangarello wasn't fired sooner if that was the plan a along. It's possible the plan was to keep Scangarello for another year until Fangio found out he could get Shurmur.

I assume we're keeping Munchak? What other offensive assistants will be kept?

Fangio says its all about getting better well the ST's coach should be next then

Not impressed by the hire.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bronco30 View Post
    Fangio says its all about getting better well the ST's coach should be next then
    McMahon should have been axed first, honestly. Our ST has been dreadful. Of course, a major part of its bottom ranking was directly caused by Wadman so I sincerely hope that punter is on the shopping list this offseason. Wadman has to go!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Fair enough. I just really hope we get better play calling than what he did in NY. Because everything on what you posted was the complete opposite of what was going on with Jones this season. The reports of lack of work on his mechanics, as well as other offensive deficiencies make this hire extremely questionable.

And I hope this wasn’t a move to get more “insight” on what Andy is doing in KC. Because that will backfire in epic fashion.
    I hope we do too. Shurmur is likely a case of someone who's better at the coordinator position where he can really focus on one side of the ball. His QBs (even friggin' Keenum) excelled when he was an OC, so I'm hopeful.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    It goes back to hiring a guy not ready for the job. I guess most people aren’t 100% ready as you learn on the job, but you still have to be prepared to some extent. The guy didn’t have enough experience especially to work with a new HC. I think Scangarello was hired by name affiliation with Kyle Shanahan, something I think you’ve said before.
    Yeah, that was one of the issues I had with the hiring, and pretty much what I have been saying from day 1. I understand wanting to get someone who has been around other successful people, but with a resume like Scangarello had, I still don't understand the hire. Anyway, he is gone now, I am happy, and glad Elway allowed Fangio to make this move away from a guy he green lit when he should not have. I'll miss those tight-end runs though, they were deadly

Hopefully this brings to an end the hiring by the Broncos of inexperienced candidates for senior coaching positions (OC, DC, HC).

Maybe he will be the Broncos "Wade Phillips" on Offense, as a Coordinator ?
    (Bad HC but Good coordinator)

Feel a bit bad for Scangarello. You'd also like to see somebody grow and get another chance (especially first-year anybody's).

With that said, the offensive production speaks for itself this past season. We are definitely in a 'rebuild' mode from last season. Finishing 2019 with 282 points, their fewest in 27 years and ranking 28th in points & yards, their lowest ranks in those categories since they joined the NFL in 1970 is very poor.

We are in sort of a rebuild mode (especially on offense). It actually started last season. But the good news is, we finally seemed to have found a competent quarterback that can actually the team to scoring drives. We also have playmakers at RB, WR, and TE positions. Shore up the O-line, maybe grab another WR and I think this youthful offense will be fun to watch.

I think the experience that Shurmur brings will be valuable to coaching up Lock. He does have a decent history with OC calling....

I've said this a few places but I'll say it again here: Shurmur's history of getting the most out of average to bad QBs is the most encouraging thing here.

While Shurm's offenses have been underwhelming at times, we need to account for the quality of QB he has worked with. Mostly average to bad, sans McNabb. All of the QBs to start roughly a full year with Shurmur had the best year(s) of their careers with him:

McNabb in 2004, Foles 2012, Bradford 2010/2016/2017, Keenum 2017, Colt McCoy 2011, Weeden 2012, Eli's 2018 4th best passer rating of his career, and then we'll see how Daniel Jones fares without him.

This, alongside his offensive philosophy and 3 WR sets, I believe really bode well for Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I've said this a few places but I'll say it again here: Shurmur's history of getting the most out of average to bad QBs is the most encouraging thing here.

While Shurm's offenses have been underwhelming at times, we need to account for the quality of QB he has worked with. Mostly average to bad, sans McNabb. All of the QBs to start roughly a full year with Shurmur had the best year(s) of their careers with him:

McNabb in 2004, Foles 2012, Bradford 2010/2016/2017, Keenum 2017, Colt McCoy 2011, Weeden 2012, Eli's 2018 4th best passer rating of his career, and then we'll see how Daniel Jones fares without him.

This, alongside his offensive philosophy and 3 WR sets, I believe really bode well for Lock.
    2013 Nick Foles: 27 TDs 2 Ints
    2017 Case Keenum: 22 TDs 7 Ints
    2019 Daniel Jones: 24 TDs 12 Ints

2020 Drew Lock? Anyone wanna guess!

Shurmur may not be a great HC but he seems to be on pair with Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak when it comes to guiding young QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Shurmur may not be a great HC but he seems to be on pair with Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak when it comes to guiding young QBs.
    I agree! Also, let's not forget

2004 Donnavan McNabb: 31 TDs 8 INTs
    2016 Sam Bradford: 20 TDs 5 INTs

Hmm.

We'll see, I guess.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Drew Lock 28 TDs 7 ints