Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mock offseason!

Mock offseason!

Iím pumped for 2020 and beyond. Mr. Elway has built us a good young nucleas and seems to finally have found a QB. This offseason is crucial and with plenty of money to spend I think we will be major players in free agency and the draft.

Here we go;

Roster cuts:

QB Joe Flacco, TE Jeff Huerman, G Ron Leary, LB Todd Davis

Flacco and Leary are obvious cuts due to their salaries, Huerman and Davis are just 2 guys I see us moving on from. These 4 moves puts as at around 90 million in cap space.

Re-sign prior to FA:

LS Casey Kreiter (2 yrs 2 mill)
    DE Jeremiah Attachou (1 yr 3 mill)
    S Justin Simmons (6 yrs 90 mill)

Simmons will sign the richest safety contract in league history. Anyone thinking otherwise is foolish. Heís an awesome young talent whoís demand will be high.

Free Agent Additions:

*disclaimer
    These are realistic signings I can see Elway making. I would love to see us sign Brandon Scherff, Chris Jones, Cory Littleton, and Byron Jones as much as the next guy, but it ainít happening.

RG Conner McGovern (3 yrs 24 mill)
    Notice I have him at RG, heís moving back there. We let him test the market and pretty much match his market value. We kick the tires on Scherff and Thuney, but in the end McGovern is cheaper and better value.

C B. J. Finney (3 yrs 15 mill)
    Munch pounds the table for this one. Finney started for Pittsburgh all year after Pouncey went down and graded out high. Heís a brute and an upgrade over McGovern at C. Him, Conner, and Dalton gives us a very formidable middle.

*sidenote: we kick the tires on some tackles but there just isnít much available after the Colts resign Castonzo and Humphries gets big money from some silly team.

DE Shelby Harris (4 yrs 48 mill)
    We let him hit the open market and match his value. Jones gets over 20 mill from someone, Armstead, Brockers, Williams, Clowney, all either re-up with their current teams or get upwards of 15 mill per year. The market dries up, Harris wants to stay in Denver, Elway overpays a little to keep him.

LB Joe Schobert (4 yrs 36 mill)
    Seems weíve been linked to him a lot. We need a LB that can cover and this is the guy. Top 3 coverage LB in the league according to PFF. Signing him allows us to move AJ over to Davisís Old spot. Instant upgrade in the middle of our defense.

CB Trae Waynes (4 yrs 32 mill)
    We lose Harris but land Waynes. Heís a gritty corner who fits Fangioís scheme perfectly. Has shutdown capabilities and is just now entering his prime.

Wolfe, Harris Jr, and Parks all hit the open market and get more than we are willing to offer. All 3 great Broncos that I hate to see go but thatís the nature of the business.

Post team cut signings:

DE Calais Campbell (2 yrs 14 mill)
    Heís coming home on a discount so he can retire in his hometown. I just got a feeling this is happening. He still has some left in the tank and is a slight upgrade over Wolfe.

CB Prince Amukamara (1 yr 5 mill)
    After being cut by Chicago he wants to play for Vic again. A 1 year deal seems about right. Prince, Trae, and Bryce along with Simmons and Jackson give us our new version of the NO FLY ZONE!

After all of these moves we have around 17 million to sign our rookie class as well as our RFAs who we give original rd tenders to all of them. We also have the option of reworking Vonís deal to save some money against the cap. Lots of good additions and still some space to work with.

Elway and co go into the draft with a BPA attitude but knowing he wants to add some receivers and o-line help.

Draft:

*trade
    Miami gives us their 1st and a 2nd (#26 and #39) for our 1st and a 3rd (#15 and #77)

Miami passes on a QB at 6 hoping one will fall, Tua is still available at our pick so they jump up to nab him. As far as we go the top 3 tackles are off the board and there are plenty of WRs left, so Elway feels comfortable sliding down.

1. OT Austin Jackson (USC)
    Say hello to our new LT. This kid will shoot up draft boards after working out and make it into round 1. Heís listed at 6í6Ē 310 lbs and can add some weight, but has elite LT skills. We can bring him along slowly but he is eventually Bolles replacement.

2. RB J.K. Dobbins (Ohio St)
    I know, I know we donít need a RB. This is simply a case of a guy falling too far and the value is way too good to pass up. Heís a true bellcow who will eventually take over the lead role and push Lindsay to the change of pace role he probably should be in.

2. WR Jalen Reagor (TCU)
    A true blazer and great all around weapon. He will be our version of Tyreek Hill and Drewís new deep threat.

3. DB Antione Winfield Jr. (Minn)
    So we lose Parks as he chases a starting gig elsewhere. This kid slides into our laps to replace him. Winfield can do it all and is a great leader. He will help on ST instantly and be the #3 safety right from the start.

3. WR K.J. Hill (Ohio St)
    We add another Buckeye from that prolific offense. Shurmur likes to go 3 wide a lot so we need some WRs. Hill is a fantastic route runner who will get open. He will be the man on 3rd downs. He completes our awesome young receiver room.

4. C Jake Hanson (Oregon)
    More interior depth here. He can be groomed in the event Finney doesnít work out.

4. OT Trey Smith (Tenn)
    An earth mover and potential RT in the league. Heís insurance in case James canít get healthy.

5. (Comp) NT Khalil Davis (Nebraska)
    Depth behind Purcell, Davis could be groomed to play any position along the line.

6. P Braden Mann (Tex A&M)
    Here we go ďwhy waste a pick on a punter?Ē Well itís simple, our punter sucks and itís inexcusable that we canít find a punter who averages in the top 5 in the league while punting in Denver 8 games a year. This is a great pick here I donít care what anyone says.

7. LB Mohamed Barry (Nebraska)
    7. (Comp) TE Jared Pinkney (Vandy)
    7. (Comp) QB Nate Stanley (Iowa)

This offseason leaves us with virtually no holes. We fill most of our glaring holes through free agency and put together an incredible draft class full of quality talent. Jackson, Dobbins, Reagor, Winfield, and Hill all will contribute from day 1.

I can see us adding a vet QB at some point as well if cap room allows.

But seriously, find me a flaw in this mock! Hope you enjoyed!

Don't like the Austin Jackson pick. The guy was totally overmatched against Epenesa in the bowl game this year.

I find it all very realistic.... except the draft. Fans want all new blood on the offensive line but I just don't think Vic and Elway are going that route. I think they only sign one line free agent and draft 1 utility/do it all type guy. RB won't be a 2nd round pick, I just feel that is a guarantee.

I feel pretty strong that our top pick will be a WR or CB. I wouldn't even be surprised if it were a safety. Jackson and Simmons are a great combo but Jackson won't be around much longer. I'm suggesting or saying I want a safety but it could be a dark horse position.

The money spent on James pretty much guarantees he'll be here starting next season and Bolles "played pretty well down the stretch" according to Elway.... And "is always available". Leary I think is a lock to be cut so there is our only open spot on the line (pretty sure McGovern is resigned).

Fans don't/won't like it but it is more than likely going to be the outcome of the off-season. I think Elway tries to rebuild some lost defensive issues in FA and he continues to build the offense through the draft. It very well could be OT in an attempt to brace for losing Bolles in 2021 but I just don't see it.

I wonít lie, while I think a lot of this is realistic Itís also a lot of wishful thinking on my part. Jackson, even though he seemed overmatched in the bowl game is still a very intriguing option at LT. He will take some grooming, but Munchak can fix his flaws.
    Dobbins is special, and if he falls, I know John isnít thinking RB right now but why the heck not? Great value and an upgrade over Freeman is not a bad thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I wonít lie, while I think a lot of this is realistic Itís also a lot of wishful thinking on my part. Jackson, even though he seemed overmatched in the bowl game is still a very intriguing option at LT. He will take some grooming, but Munchak can fix his flaws.
    Dobbins is special, and if he falls, I know John isnít thinking RB right now but why the heck not? Great value and an upgrade over Freeman is not a bad thing at all.
    I'd go Becton over Jackson even though some mocks have him in the mid second round. Becton reminds me of a Jason Peter's type tackle. He is huge(360) and moves better then alot of tackles in college. He is a good tackle prospect who I would go late first to early second.

I also don't like dobbins there. I feel that Raegor may be decent but I still perfer hamler to him

I love your free agent signings. I would be ecstatic if we landed that. I think you're being pretty optimistic on some of the price tags. My guess is we'd have about 5 million left in cap space if we signed those players.

Like your draft. My two issues with it:

1. Like someone said above, I think we're looking for mid-round tackle prospects to develop. The FO is bullish on Bolles, and we have a lot invested in James. We need more youth in the secondary with that NFZ you listed above. We need corners to develop behind Jackson and Amakamura since they're getting old.

2. I'm never a fan of drafting an RB in Round 1 or 2.

My guess: Round 1 will either be a CB or WR. I agree that we'll be looking to trade back into the mid-20s since this is such a loaded draft in Rounds 2 and 3.
    Last edited by Jonny_Quest; 01-18-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Ditto to all of the above

Realalistic absolutely. In fact maybe a bit conservative in regards to fa. Love the in depth mindset but the draft in my mind is a mess.

LOVE the shobert, Finney and waynes signings. Definitely agree our rfa are all kept. In hoping we do go after a tier 1 DLineman and I think we land one of them

Jackson was a question mark before the bowl game. And he just didnt get worked by epenesa, he got SMOKED, I want nothing to do with the kid. I'd take Benton and prince over Jackson even if they grade out as 2nd rounders
    Their ceilings are insane and with manchuk coaching them, in 2 years they are plug and play.

A 2nd rounder on rb.....brother I don't see in what world that's happening. Hell, if that trade back with Miami goes through I could see us using that 2nd and a 3rd jumping back into round 1 for interior oline or MLB k Murray?

We don't have the room on the team for all of the rfas, free agent pick ups and current draft picks and udfas. So I can see us moving back into round 1 or 2. To pick up better talent.

May have missed on the Jackson pick, didnít watch his bowl game. Dobbins is an absolute steal on the 2nd and has a Saquon Barkley skill set. Iím sorry but if I can get a true bellcow RB to help Lock our Iím all in. I love Lindsay, but I feel a change of pace 10-12 touch role is more his style. Freeman can be replaced!

May have missed on the Jackson pick, didnít watch his bowl game. Dobbins is an absolute steal on the 2nd and has a Saquon Barkley skill set. Iím sorry but if I can get a true bellcow RB to help Lock our Iím all in. I love Lindsay, but I feel a change of pace 10-12 touch role is more his style. Freeman can be replaced!
    I'm sorry but he may have a skill set but he isn't In the same league as Barkley. And you don't take a RB to be part of a committee in the 2nd when our RB situation doesn't call for that type of investment vs our oline, CB and we situation

I agree our 1st pick ill probably be WR like diggs a burner we really need or a CB like Henderson

You lost me at the RB in round 2 ... I do like the FA though..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

May have missed on the Jackson pick, didn’t watch his bowl game. Dobbins is an absolute steal on the 2nd and has a Saquon Barkley skill set. I’m sorry but if I can get a true bellcow RB to help Lock our I’m all in. I love Lindsay, but I feel a change of pace 10-12 touch role is more his style. Freeman can be replaced!
    Lindsey can and should be a bell cow running back in this league

and i don't see teh Dobbins to Barkley comparison. Dobbins is slower Smaller and not the prospect that barkley was. he may be able to do some stuff. but he also had a QB like Justin Fields who is a threat to run also. which really helped him out this. he didn't look the same this year.

Barkley is 234 and dobbins is 217 at around the same height. Barkley cause more passes in his last year of College then Dobbins did in his last 2 years. Barkley speed at 4.40 is probably good be faster then Dobbins runs also i bet. Barkley also got 12 less yards recieving in his Junior year then Dobbins did in his whole Career. you are gonna have to really sell me on the comparing Dobbins to Barkley cause i don't see it at all. Barkley is dynamic and looked Dynamic his whole college Career. Dobbins is not as good as Barkley as a prospect but you can say that about any RB i have seen recenty. Barkley was a Special prospect and a Special player i don't see that at all in dobbins. he looks like a guy who is good but may just be an average RB at this level.

Barkley was the best PRospect at RB that i can remember sense Adrian Petterson. Dobbins is no where near his level.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

K.J. Hill is a must have for me. I really think heís going to be a great slot or even number 2. Not a true burner but runs fantastic routes and has great hands. Dude is always open. I think he would be a great pick in the 3-4 rounds.

ďAnyone thinking otherwise is foolish.Ē

I think Simmonsí contract will be in line with the top safeties, but to say itís foolish is being optimistic on Simmonsí end. His guarantees should be looking nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Lindsey can and should be a bell cow running back in this league

and i don't see teh Dobbins to Barkley comparison. Dobbins is slower Smaller and not the prospect that barkley was. he may be able to do some stuff. but he also had a QB like Justin Fields who is a threat to run also. which really helped him out this. he didn't look the same this year.

Barkley is 234 and dobbins is 217 at around the same height. Barkley cause more passes in his last year of College then Dobbins did in his last 2 years. Barkley speed at 4.40 is probably good be faster then Dobbins runs also i bet. Barkley also got 12 less yards recieving in his Junior year then Dobbins did in his whole Career. you are gonna have to really sell me on the comparing Dobbins to Barkley cause i don't see it at all. Barkley is dynamic and looked Dynamic his whole college Career. Dobbins is not as good as Barkley as a prospect but you can say that about any RB i have seen recenty. Barkley was a Special prospect and a Special player i don't see that at all in dobbins. he looks like a guy who is good but may just be an average RB at this level.

Barkley was the best PRospect at RB that i can remember sense Adrian Petterson. Dobbins is no where near his level.
    The Fields comment is insignificant because Dobbins had a great season last year with the immobile Haskins at QB. Dobbins will run low 4.4s at combine, wouldnít be surprised to see him in the 4.3s. Dobbins had a way more successful college career, I will give you the recieving starts, but Dobbins was perfectly capable, they just didnít use him that way. Barkley may be 234lbs now, but if I remember correctly he was more like 220-225 when he came out.

Dobbins wonít go anywhere near #2 in the draft, but he will be an RB1 for whoever drafts him from day 1. Dude is dynamic, hard working, determined, with a good head on his shoulders and a chip on his shoulder because he got completely snubbed not getting invited to NY for the Heisman. Plus he should have won the Doak Walker award hands down over Jonathan Taylor. Dobbins is better than Taylor and proved it twice this year. That alone will make him determined to be the best RB in the NFL. Oh, and did I mention he squats 700 lbs?

Heís comparible to Barkley in my opinion, and will be a better NFL RB than Taylor!