Broncos SB History

How did you feel going into the eight Broncos SB's in the past 42 years? I'll start:

77 vs Dallas: Wasn't alive. Cannot comment. My guess is most fans likely thought it wouldn't end well. Broncos were great. Dallas was special.

86 vs Giants: I thought the Broncos would win. Especially after the Drive game.

87 vs Skins: I thought we would win. I didn't foresee Elway losing in back to back years. Maybe I was oblivious. Who knows.

89 vs 49ers: Absolutely positively felt we had zero shot. I thought this was men against boys going in.

97 vs Packers: I had a quiet confidence. I thought GB was overrated. They seemed to be a soft team that could be had. I thought it would be close either way.

98 vs Atlanta: Absolutely positively felt we would win. No second guesses.

13 vs Seattle: I was very nervous. The Broncos never faced a defense like that all year. It was a pickem game. I just had no idea which way it would go.

15 vs Panthers: I was confident we would win. The Patriots were better than the Panthers imo. And we beat the Pats twice. I thought Cam could get rattled easily.

Wasn't alive for '77. Was only 2, 3 and 5 for the next three. Only remember watching the loss to San Francisco at my grandparent's house.

I was nervous for the game against Green Bay. I wanted to win so bad. When we stopped them on 4th down to seal the win, the feeling was euphoric.

I was very confident going against Atlanta. I thought we caught a big break by not having to play Minnesota.

I thought we would win a close one against Seattle, but, nope. I couldn't believe how badly we were beaten. Still can't.

I was a little concerned going into Super Bowl 50 because Peyton was declining and I didn't know if our defense could carry us against Cam and the Panthers. Luckily, Von and the defense had a game for the ages.

Got to see, experience and remember three Super Bowl championships. Been pretty good.

But I want more.

I have vague memories of 1977. I just remember images on the TV and it being a big day for people but nothing more.

86 I knew it was going to be a tough game but thought we would do better than we did. 87 I thought we were going to win. 89 I knew the only chance we had was running the ball and when Humphrey got the flak jacket I knew it was going to be a long day. I think Elway's mom echoed the frustration of all Bronco fans when she asked if we need to go back again....

Back we went in 97. After watching our running game make 3rd and 6 a run down all season I had confidence going in. We won and it was like a BOULDER was lifted off of every Bronco fan!

98....this was about cementing how good we were. IMO I could argue we were a bogus PI in 1996 away from being back to back to back Champs! In reality the coaches probably needed the loss in 1996 to evolve.

13...this game was super disappointment...great offense only to let us down in SB....we did have some injuries but man to see Champ end like that was rough for me.

15...another learning experience for me...I did not think a defense could carry a team in today's rules. That team proved me wrong. I told people all week that if we could just get into Cam's head early we will win. A early strip sack TD did that. Every time the Panther offense tried to make a comeback someone on our defense smacked it out of them. If that defense won that Super Bowl for a Dallas/Pitt/NY team then the talking heads would be falling over themselves to call it the best defense all time. It carried a back up QB to the top seed who would soon be out of the NFL and then marched through 3 of the best QBs in the game at that time to win it all.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Notable memories are...

89, hosted huge SB party, wow, what a shellacking!!!

13, hosted huge SB party, wow, what a shellacking!!!

15, hosted huge SB party, Kabooooom!!!
    [

Wasn't alive for the first 4. Was only 5-6 years old for the next couple SBs and wasn't yet a Broncos fan.

For SB 48 I was confident. The offense was unstoppable. Figured we'd steamroll the legion of boom and give a whooping to that smack-talking heel Richard Sherman.

For 50 I wasn't feeling great. I knew the D was good enough to win but had almost no confidence in the offense to get the job done.

And my expectations were subverted both times. Just wish we could've gotten Champ a ring before he retired.

'77: Wasn't a Bronco fan yet (I began life as a Vikings fan until I switched in '84) but I felt they had very little of a chance. I hated Dallas but had to admit they had the flex D and shotgun Staubach and I thought it would just be too much.

'86: I was 100% sure we'd win...100% sure. We played the Giants late in the season in NJ and if it wasn't for them getting a pick 6 on a screen pass Elway threw poorly, we would have beaten them at home. Plus we had the confidence and momentum from The Drive. I couldn't understand why I was the only one who thought we'd win...oh well...

'87: Nervous here...Elway was '87 MVP and I believed we should win but wasn't sure we would. When we jumped out to 10-0 I was sure this would be the one...then the big play which for me sealed our fate. Dave Studdard was matched up on Dexter Manley but left the game with injury not to return. We had a very undersized O line (except for Studdard) and no one to take his place that was nearly as big or good. At that point, we lost the trench war, Elway began running for his life and our offense shut down. On D, we were absolutely outcoached. The Redskins kept changing their alignments to get the TE on the opposite side of the field from Meck so he had no one to cover. Then came the 2nd quarter

'89: The 49ers are my most hated sports franchise of all time - possibly because I lived in the Bay Area my whole life until 2012 - with positively THE most obnoxious fair weather fans of any franchise..."49er Faithful"? Only when they win. Absolutely nobody gave us a chance. Sports Illustrated had Elway on the cover with the quote, "We'll Show Up"...his response to a sportswriter who asked why the Bronco's should even bother showing up. I knew it would be tough and take a perfect game from us but I thought with Atwater & Smith at safeties they'd lay out Jerry Rice and our new RB sensation Bobby Humphrey would have a big game. When Reeves had us open with the shovel pass that Humphrey dropped and then Rice scored splitting Atwater & Smith and they missed him I knew it would be a long miserable day...

'97: I gave us a 50-50 chance. I hoped that our change of helmet & uniform (even though I still love the one's we wore in the 80's best) would mean a change of attitude on the team....a fresh start in our SB history. All I heard the days leading up to the game was how the NFC always wins the SB and the big, bad Packers were unstoppable. I totally underestimated how clever Shanahan was, having our guys praise the Pack and keep saying we're just happy to be here in the press interviews leading up to the game fed into the Packers ego until it became a huge overfilled balloon just waiting to be popped. When we answered GB's opening TD drive with one of our own, I began to believe. When TD left the game I thought how in the world can we win without him? Even after the "helicopter" I wasn't sure. After the Pack fumbled that kickoff return and we recovered a friend called me and said, "looks like you guys are finally going to win a SB"...I told him "don't say that" it's not nearly over...then on the next play Elway went for the kill but threw an endzone INT and the Pack was right back in it. In fact it wasn't until John Mobley knocked down Favre's 4th down pass that I began celebrating

'98: 100% confident. Then on game day I heard that Falcon safety Eugene Robinson had been arrested in a prostitution sting the night before. 110% confident...the only question was how much would we win by?

'13: 90% confident. I was now living in Olympia WA (about 1.5 hrs south of Seattle) and wore my Elway jersey every day leading up to the game and got into a lot of good natured bragging with the locals. I couldn't believe the Seahawks, that we had regularly gotten the best of while in the AFC West were a SB team. Anyway, I do believe the old saying, "defense wins championships", but I thought our record setting offense was immune to that. I was wrong. After the 1st play with the snap sailing over PFM's head and that look on his face as he walked off the field, I knew we were in deep trouble, it wasn't until the 2nd half that I realized how deep

'15: 10% confident. I hated Cam's arrogance leading up to the game and wanted us to shut him up so badly, but I thought we barely had a chance and that Cam was going to rip our D to shreds. On offense, oh goodness...PFM's arm was shot and Oz wasn't really ready for the SB pressure cooker. Look what happened to us in '13? And that's with PFM and our offense setting all the records! I thought today was going to be an even bigger humiliation. When we opened with a drive and scored the FG. I thought, ok...this is good but we're going to need at least 35 pts to outscore them so we need TD's not FG's. Then came Von's strip sack for TD, I jumped up out of my chair on that play and didn't sit down for the rest of the game...halftime included where I pretty much paced around the house saying, "we can do this...we can do this". It really felt like we were in a cage with a real panther that could turn and attack us at any time...I kept waiting for Cam and their offense to explode but time and time again Von and the D kept shutting him down. Beating the Pack for our 1st was an amazing feeling, but I think this SB is equally my favorite as we shut down supremely arrogant Cam and pretty much ended his very short reign as an elite NFL QB. The fact that I thought we had almost no chance of winning made it that more sweet. Besides, it was extra satisfying for this 49er hater who lived many years in Santa Clara to watch us win SB50 in their new house

Last edited by Dennis.1960; 01-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

77, I was 13 years old. Even then I knew Broncos had ZERO shot of winning. 86, I thought we could win, going up 10-0. I figured the lack of a run game would hurt us. It did. 87, I really thought we were gonna win. Still cant figure out what the hell Joe Collier was doing on defense in that second quarter. 89, yea, knew we had ZERO chance of winning. 97, I was strangely confident of a win. 98, no question we were gonna win. 13, no idea how that was going to go. 15, confident but cautious

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
    How did you feel going into the eight Broncos SB's in the past 42 years? I'll start:

77 vs Dallas: Wasn't alive. Cannot comment. My guess is most fans likely thought it wouldn't end well. Broncos were great. Dallas was special.

87 vs Skins: I thought we would win. I didn't foresee Elway losing in back to back years. Maybe I was oblivious. Who knows.

89 vs 49ers: Absolutely positively felt we had zero shot. I thought this was men against boys going in.

97 vs Packers: I had a quiet confidence. I thought GB was overrated. They seemed to be a soft team that could be had. I thought it would be close either way.

13 vs Seattle: I was very nervous. The Broncos never faced a defense like that all year. It was a pickem game. I just had no idea which way it would go.

15 vs Panthers: I was confident we would win. The Patriots were better than the Panthers imo. And we beat the Pats twice. I thought Cam could get rattled easily.
    I'm pretty much the same as you with all these. Just my notes on the following:

89 vs 49ers: Even though I knew we were out muscled, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. Especially considering we were the best defense that year. Just absolutely brutal game and all the jokes I had to endure the weeks following. I can remember comedian George Wallace, who's nephew was an OT for SF, had a stand up special where he had a few jokes as well. Just a bad memory.

98 vs Atlanta: Ditto on this one. I wanted the Vikes. I knew we would destroy anyone else. I have this thing about beating the best, and the Vikes were the best that year.

13 vs Seattle: I was very nervous about this one also. Living in the area, I knew the logistics of our accommodations and practice facility was absolutely terrible. Combined with the fact that our daily press meetings were on a boat (which was absolutely STUPID, btw) were even more factor than the "not practicing with crowd noise" narrative. When u put world class athletes on a boat (water was extremely choppy as a storm was just leaving and a storm was rolling in), then have them travel 45-60 mins from hotel to practice, that's a setup for failure, which it was from the coin toss. Plus it showcased that NYC is not a great place for a SB.
    #swapping

The wife said WoW. KC hasn't been to a SB in 50 years ? I said yup. Glad I'm a Bronco fan.

I had everyone at my house for SB48. I got all pissed off when some of my family talked too much about how bad the Broncos got spanked.
    SB50, I didn't invite them back! We won!!! I texted them all saying "what happened to Scam Newton??".
    When Elway lifted up SB32's trophy I cried happy tears. No lie.
    I was sick during SB33, and watched us kick ATL's bootay while in bed.
    The three losses from the late 80's early 90's all sucked.
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

SB97: I was 7 years old and I still remember this game. My dad was so happy he watched for years Elway get demolished in the earlier SB. I watched the VHS of that season religiously

SB98: the following year I was baffled that the broncos could go back to back that the following year in 1999 I complained to my mom and asked why the broncos weren't in the SB. Watching elway play his last game was special.

SB48: ooofff. This one was tough. It was such a magical year. Manning absolutely smashing the ravens and the offense putting up 35 to 40 points a game it was a sight to behold. When the seahawks went up 20 to 0 my dad never gave up so I didnt either. Of course we all know how it ended.

SB50: the broncos barely beating the ravens had me worried on the season but again my dad never gave up. Little did we know that we would witness one of the greatest defenses play. I was very nervous for the SB. The panthers had a great offense and solid defense. Manning's corpse was carried throughout the gauntlet of QBs and this defense proved that defense wins champions when they held the 15-1 panthers to 10 points. I was a nervous wreck during the game and ran up and down the street when they won. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post

I lived in Denver in 1977 and worked in the optical business in the heart of downtown. So many firsts for the Broncos and that defense. Wow! Super exciting time!

We had big Super Bowl parties here in Salt Lake every year starting in 1992 through 1999. Super Bowl 32 was obviously special for all Bronco fans and one of my wife's male co-workers, a huge Bronco fan who grew up in Montana said one of the coolest statements that I've ever heard. In the last few minutes of the game when we all knew the Broncos were going to win their first Super Bowl in five attempts, he looked at me grinning from ear to ear and stated:

"I can now die in peace".
    Last edited by jazzbodog; 01-21-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Utah Bronco Freak