Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 17 Game Season

The problem with adding one or two more games to the regular season is, where does it stop? After the league gets comfortable with a 17/18 game season, will it push for a 19/20 game season after the next collective bargaining agreement?

What the league should be doing in my opinion is, focusing on providing a superior product on the field...not more of the product.
    "I've set my laser from stun to kill."

I would prefer not to cut any preseason games at all. They are where players like Terrell Davis get a chance to make a team. They are also good tune up games for the regular season. And as for Adding any more games, I would prefer not too. It is a long season and a lot of guys are playing hurt by the end of it. I would prefer to get to the playoffs so we can have our guys as healthy as possible when making a run for a championship. I don't like the idea of stringing it out longer with more chances for injury and wearing guys out. They do make millions of dollars so yes it is hard for me to feel sorry for them. But I do see what they go through playing this game week in and week out and that has to take its toll on any person. JMHO
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    The problem with adding one or two more games to the regular season is, where does it stop? After the league gets comfortable with a 17/18 game season, will it push for a 19/20 game season after the next collective bargaining agreement?

What the league should be doing in my opinion is, focusing on providing a superior product on the field...not more of the product.
    Totally agree.....
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Looks like the owners are pushing hard for a 17 game season. Curious to see what other fans think.

The idea of another week of football has appeal at first thought, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea.

First I think the season is already too long. Itís too hard to keep a team healthy for an entire season, and injury luck seems to play too big of a factor compared to other sports.

Bill Simmons had an interesting pitch for a 14 game season with 2 or 3 bye weeks for each team. I really liked the idea because it would lead to higher quality football week-to-week and healthier teams. I might even consider a 12 game season with 4 bye weeks.

Watching a team come roaring out of a bye week is always more exciting because they come out so much healthier and prepared. I think it would add a lot more excitement since more stars would make it through an entire season.

I think another good change would be expanding the game day roster by 10-12 players to keep players fresher and reduce the chance of injuries with lower snap counts per player.

I feel like the owners are being very short-sighted in this. The game already takes a brutal toll on playersí bodies. I think less could truly be more in this case.

Curious to hear what other fans think.
    NOPE! It's just another money grab by the greedy NFL, the Owners, and Goodell. Just like him playing games overseas, threatening to go pay per view, ect.
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Knowing how many players have complained that Thursday night games are also too hard on their bodies, perhaps this is shaping up to be a compromise between the owners and players union: A 17 game season if Thursday nights are removed from the schedule. Then again, other than the superstar level guys, I really don't think most owners care much about the players struggles with injuries - especially when there are 1000's of college players waiting in line to take their place and just hoping for a chance at the NFL. Supply and demand
    Too much tv money tied up in Thursday night to get rid of it. And getting rid of games, like a 14 game season or 12 game season? Never going to happen. Less games equals less money. The amount of games the teams play is like Chinese finger cuffs, they only go in one direction. Maybe they don't add any, but they sure as heck aren't removing any.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Players voted to 17 game regular season in the new CBA, along with two more playoff teams.

So one more week, one less preseason game? I'm ok with that, by week 4 preseason it was completely third to 4th string guys. No point in having it since the evaluation on any of those guys are already against backup to the backups level of players.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

The extra playoff teams happens this coming season, whereas the 17 games will not occur until at least the 21/22 season.

Only a $10M rise in salary cap this year, but likely to spike in near future years.

And salaries will be allowed to be pushed back more into future years using changed accounting practices.

I did a quick read on the yahoo article. Pensions after three years and increased min salaries helped push the deal through. Passed 1,019-959 by 60 votes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-players...141728474.html

Two in particular had many players questioning the quality of the deal: the expansion of the regular season to 17 games, and a revenue split that could top out at only 48.5 percent if all the applicable kickers were achieved. But other aspects of the deal apparently carried the vote amongst the rank-and-file players, with attractive incentives including an improvement of benefits, rise in minimum salaries and entry into the league’s pension plan after only three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I did a quick read on the yahoo article. Pensions after three years and increased min salaries helped push the deal through. Passed 1,019-959 by 60 votes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-players...141728474.html
    And after all of that, players are still saying they did not get everything they wanted. If that be the case, The NFL is going to be much richer than before! What else is new!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    And after all of that, players are still saying they did not get everything they wanted. If that be the case, The NFL is going to be much richer than before! What else is new!!
    It only passed by 60 votes so yea a lot of players did not like it. There seemed to be requests for change of votes but that was turned down. It seems to me the NFL did a pretty good job of including enough things to divide the players. Maybe the Union was not as prepared and did not have the unity they wanted? Yea it got the deal passed but will there be any negative feelings in 2030...I do not think so considering the money NFL players make.

I do wonder how much of the negative side of this is coming from players agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    It only passed by 60 votes so yea a lot of players did not like it. There seemed to be requests for change of votes but that was turned down. It seems to me the NFL did a pretty good job of including enough things to divide the players. Maybe the Union was not as prepared and did not have the unity they wanted? Yea it got the deal passed but will there be any negative feelings in 2030...I do not think so considering the money NFL players make.

I do wonder how much of the negative side of this is coming from players agents.
    Interesting stuff. I have mentioned that this current gloom in the world (rightly so) might have got marginal voters to sign up, because the known is better than the unknown in times like this. If the world was economically solid, and the future looked amazingly bright, I wonder if they would have rejected it. I guess we might hear somewhere down the road, when some folks say that they did not want to risk what was on the table.

Hey gang, when the 17 game regular season happens, which will be as early as 21/22, do you think fantasy football will add another game??

I know, who cares right now!!

In theory, the players could have just gotten more money without having to play a 17th game.

The owners could end up deciding not to have the extra game. Of course, itís more likely that they will figure out a way for it to make sense.
    They need to find a way to play 16 neutral site games, so that it doesnít create a situation where only half the league gets an extra home game.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Saw this from one player...

yes there is an added 17th game-of about 70 snaps.
    -there’s 12 less padded prax in camp. A prax avgs 50+ snaps. That’s 500+ LESS padded/contact snaps for players in exchange for that 17th game
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich