• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonny_Quest
    Playmaker
    • Dec 2010

17 Game Season

Looks like the owners are pushing hard for a 17 game season. Curious to see what other fans think.

The idea of another week of football has appeal at first thought, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea.

First I think the season is already too long. It’s too hard to keep a team healthy for an entire season, and injury luck seems to play too big of a factor compared to other sports.

Bill Simmons had an interesting pitch for a 14 game season with 2 or 3 bye weeks for each team. I really liked the idea because it would lead to higher quality football week-to-week and healthier teams. I might even consider a 12 game season with 4 bye weeks.

Watching a team come roaring out of a bye week is always more exciting because they come out so much healthier and prepared. I think it would add a lot more excitement since more stars would make it through an entire season.

I think another good change would be expanding the game day roster by 10-12 players to keep players fresher and reduce the chance of injuries with lower snap counts per player.

I feel like the owners are being very short-sighted in this. The game already takes a brutal toll on players’ bodies. I think less could truly be more in this case.

Curious to hear what other fans think.
  • Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    team preacher
    • Mar 2008

Get rid of a pre season game and add a second bye week for each team.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• samparnell
      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
      • Nov 2007

Dumb

10 characters
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Hadez
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2004

I would be cool with it like this

Subtract 2 preseason games. I feel kinda bad for the young guys whose only chance to be in the NFL will be these games but imo coaches have shown repeatedly they do not need 4 preseason games in how little they play their starters.

Add 1 regular season game. Do not play any games the week prior to week 1 regular season. No team gets 9 home games. Every team plays one game at a "neutral" site. This will allow the NFL to keep playing games at various stadiums without forcing season ticket holders to get one less home regular season game.
        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
        effort x talent = skill
        effort x skill = achievement
        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• broncolee
          Football Immortal
          • Jan 2007

I’m okay with 17 games.

I would like to see them add a second bye week.
          Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Jonny_Quest
            Playmaker
            • Dec 2010

I guess my rationale is that I don't find myself thinking the college football season is too short.

Add a 4 round playoff to a college season and I think I would be fine.

Also seems like a college-length season greatly increases your chances of ending the season with all 22 of your starters playing.

Seems like you get a much better product when all of your stars tend to play in all of the games?

Comment

• Dennis.1960
              Captain
              • Nov 2014

Interesting the owners want an odd number, meaning every team will either have a winning or losing season...no more .500 records (unless of course a team has a tie and ends 8-8-1 or 3 ties for 7-7-3)

I imagine, as usual with the NFL, it's really all about the $$$ because advertisers will pay more for a commercial slot on a regular season vs a pre-season game
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                Football Immortal
                • Oct 2010

I would rather have a 18 game season, with 2 Preseason games. Preseason is lame in my opinion.

Comment

• L.M.
                  Vitalstatistix
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                  Interesting the owners want an odd number, meaning every team will either have a winning or losing season...no more .500 records (unless of course a team has a tie and ends 8-8-1 or 3 ties for 7-7-3)

I imagine, as usual with the NFL, it's really all about the $$$ because advertisers will pay more for a commercial slot on a regular season vs a pre-season game
                  Great point. Better make it 18 games, and start preseason in July.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• L.M.
                    Vitalstatistix
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    I would rather have a 18 game season, with 2 Preseason games. Preseason is lame in my opinion.
                    It's perhaps not as fun to watch from the fan perspective but it's vitally necessary to the coaches, IMO. Teams have to wittle down around 90 guys to 53 and this is the best way to test and evaluate all those players.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                      It's perhaps not as fun to watch from the fan perspective but it's vitally necessary to the coaches, IMO. Teams have to wittle down around 90 guys to 53 and this is the best way to test and evaluate all those players.
                      I agree it helps evaluate players.

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                        All-Time Great
                        • Apr 2008

I don't think an extra week will change anything as far as playoff seeding goes. Usually all of the team are set pretty well by week 17 so I see this as just a $ grab.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                          team preacher
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          Dumb

10 characters
                          I can’t really argue with this. The player’s bodies take a beating as it is.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Dennis.1960
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            I can’t really argue with this. The player’s bodies take a beating as it is.
                            Knowing how many players have complained that Thursday night games are also too hard on their bodies, perhaps this is shaping up to be a compromise between the owners and players union: A 17 game season if Thursday nights are removed from the schedule. Then again, other than the superstar level guys, I really don't think most owners care much about the players struggles with injuries - especially when there are 1000's of college players waiting in line to take their place and just hoping for a chance at the NFL. Supply and demand
                            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• KWHIT97
                              Master of the Mock
                              • Oct 2007

Dumb idea, it’s not broke so don’t try to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X