Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Still proves my point that you’d be able to get a first round talent in the second. so no need to go out in FA and spend bigger money on a position you shouldn’t have to this year. plus, I don’t think we need a vet wr on this squad. We got some wr on this teams I’d like to see step up and get more reps that prob wouldn’t get to see with a vet in here.
    1st round talent does not always = production.

Here is my scenario: Why would you spend a #15 pick on a WR when you could sign Breshad Perriman and then trade #15 for a 2nd and a 3rd and draft two more WRs? Do we not have more of a chance to hit big on one of three guys than all our eggs in one basket? Analytics say ya we would.

Bottom line, is you need to be just as good at scouting FAs that fit your team as you do draft prospects (Manning, Sanders, Ware, Ward,... huge part of SB trips and the win). It is all just resources with draft picks being the cheap labor force needed. So until free agency is done, any speculation is just that. Have no idea who is going to be available when, so need to get as much talent in place prior to the draft as possible.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    See getting a guy like Austin is pointless to me. Dudes wouldn’t contribute much besides maybe special teams? I want speed on our team and he has it but I want to find another Hill type player that is a true threat
    We have no idea if that fast first round talent will actually turn out to be an NFL calibre receiver. John Ross ran a 4.22 and was drafted 9th overall because of it, he has 49 receptions in 3 seasons. Tavon Austin ran a 4.34 and was drafted 8th, he's never developed like people thought he would, you don't even want him now.

Drafting a receiver just because he's fast is just asking for a bust. Now if he's fast, can run routes, and plays quick, ran a route tree in college then maybe you're onto something. But I'd rather just sign a veteran who's proven they can do all of that, and can start immediately if there's an injury and it's needed.

How I see it in sort of a nutshell....

We need at least one more good WR, and more likely two....though I do think one of them can be good versus really good. And I think The Draft offers some "shiny" opportunities, as in, seemingly can't miss WRs. Whereas in my view, shiny is nice, but I prefer lower risk Oliner types this time around, who may not be so bright and exciting, but get the hard work done in support of the O. In that regard, we can even trade back if necessary to still land a reliable Oliner plus more!

Shiny gets shinier when our QB has time to throw the ball.

And as for shiny, exciting...there are lots of similar players in the WR group, and until they actually get a shot, may in fact be more than we need. And to ensure we are well resourced at the position, why not try to sign a proven piece of shiny, in FA.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-04-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    1st round talent does not always = production.

Here is my scenario: Why would you spend a #15 pick on a WR when you could sign Breshad Perriman and then trade #15 for a 2nd and a 3rd and draft two more WRs? Do we not have more of a chance to hit big on one of three guys than all our eggs in one basket? Analytics say ya we would.

Bottom line, is you need to be just as good at scouting FAs that fit your team as you do draft prospects (Manning, Sanders, Ware, Ward,... huge part of SB trips and the win). It is all just resources with draft picks being the cheap labor force needed. So until free agency is done, any speculation is just that. Have no idea who is going to be available when, so need to get as much talent in place prior to the draft as possible.
    I hope there first round also is included in the trade package cause it is taking alot more then that for me to trade out of the first round

I don't think it's a bad idea to draft WR early. In fact if there is a couple of guys we really like we may be in a great position for trading back a bit (Which I ultimately expect).

The Raiders have picks 12/19 while the Dolphins have picks 18/26 I believe. I could easily see a scenario where the Raiders love a couple guys at 12 and could target our 15 if their other guy is still there. Same situation with the Dolphins as they have plenty of ammunition to move around. The Dolphins (especially if they go with Tua at 5) will likely be looking to move up.

My personal preference for our 1st pick would be either Kinlaw or Shenault...I also really like Kenneth Murray. I think Shenault and/or Murray could be there if we trade back.
    Last edited by atwaterandstir; 02-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.

one thing to consider is the possibility of the team going to predominantly 3 WR sets under Shurmur

our defense under Fangio will be decent, if we keep the core and replace lost talent with equal talent

the issue for several years has been OFFENSE !!!

so with a young QB that looks to be the real deal, a emerging star wr, a solid set of RBs with PL, a potential stud TE and mismatch nightmare in fant...our biggest need is oline and speed and impact at the WR position...there is nothing DUMB about using our #15 to get a ruggs, jeudy, viska, or lamb

just because you can get a decent wr later doesn't mean we should pass if one of these guys is sitting there at 15...cause they would open up this offense
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I hope there first round also is included in the trade package cause it is taking alot more then that for me to trade out of the first round
    ya, should have read trade down and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

If the top OTs were gone and we made that trade, I would be .......
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    If the top OTs were gone and we made that trade, I would be .......
    The hope is....find a desperate team!!