Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Making case for Steve Atwater to go into HoF --- Congrats!

Interesting tidbit I just read about Steve Atwater and his bid to go into the HoF..

But heres one good argument, coming from Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth, for former Broncos safety Steve Atwater and former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu to be two of the five selected on Saturday: In NFL history, only 24 players have started three Super Bowls and been selected to eight Pro Bowls. Of those 24, 20 are already in the Hall of Fame and two are surefire first-ballot Hall of Famers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

The other two are Atwater and Polamalu.
    Article link but not much more to it than what is already here

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-stat-ma...203236800.html

Making the case for Steve Atwater.

One of my favorites besides his hit on Okoye, at 2:56 in the video, he blows up Harold Green by blowing up the lead blocker. Atwater was just on another level.
    "I've set my laser from stun to kill."

His play was at the top . His play speaks for itself. It's an absolute shame he hasnt been induced already .

Were it not for TDs play in the Superbowl, Atwater would've been the game MVP

This is a pretty good argument - John Lynch was also in the same feature
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...-Steve-Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    This.

He played like a hall of famer and brought it every week I saw him play. He damn well should be in there.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

+1

His play in the Super Bowl reminded me a lot of the guy we saw making plays in his youth.

Should've been the MVP anyway, IMO.

Be sure to remind the Hall of Fame voters that Atwater played a year with the NY Jets. We know how they feel about Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Be sure to remind the Hall of Fame voters that Atwater played a year with the NY Jets. We know how they feel about Broncos.
    Good one! Seriously though, the Steeler bias is what worries me...just watch them induct Polamalu and leave Atwater out
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Good one! Seriously though, the Steeler bias is what worries me...just watch them induct Polamalu and leave Atwater out
    $20 says this is what happens.

Atwater should go in as he's born on the best day of the year, along with TD and yours truly

And really... I watched polomlu play in a Super Bowl with a former pro football player who didn’t watch anymore.. he didn’t know who he was but he ragged on whole go we for undisciplined play, missing tackles looking for the big hit, and a lot of other things,, it was interesting, changed how I viewed his play from then on. I don’t think he did anything to change the position, he was just reckless,, which was fun to watch. I don’t think that makes a HOF player.

It is akin to the Bettis factor.. a beloved player... but not a HOF one... and somehow that got intertwined..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    And really... I watched polomlu play in a Super Bowl with a former pro football player who didn’t watch anymore.. he didn’t know who he was but he ragged on whole go we for undisciplined play, missing tackles looking for the big hit, and a lot of other things,, it was interesting, changed how I viewed his play from then on. I don’t think he did anything to change the position, he was just reckless,, which was fun to watch. I don’t think that makes a HOF player.

It is akin to the Bettis factor.. a beloved player... but not a HOF one... and somehow that got intertwined..
    I'm with you on Bettis. Really good, but not a HoFer. Polamalu, I think was great because of the big play factor. He gambled, and was out of position, but he made a ridiculous amount of big plays, and he had tremendous instincts. The other thing is, Ed Reed was basically the Arnold Rothstein of safeties when it comes to freelance gambling on the field, so it's hard to hold it against Polamalu for me.

I think they're going to put Polamalu and Lynch in ahead of Atwater. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I can't see myself making the argument that Polamalu and Lynch don't belong. Of course, I would vote Atwater in this year. Absolutely. It'd be Atwater, Polamalu, Faneca, Hutchinson, and Thomas for me. What worries me the most though, is that they'll try to vote Reggie Wayne in over Atwater. That would be utterly disgraceful, and I would lose all respect for the Hall of Fame if that happened.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 01-31-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post

I still dont understand why Bettis was HOF worthy. Besides longevity, he wasn't the type of player who was a game changer.