Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Where would Tebow rank?

Ask Darrell Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Watching that in slo-mo reminds me of the scene in The Waterboy where they have Michigan experiment with the towel boy, lol!!!

But that was an extremely clean hit. Shoulder to chest, helmet clearly on the outside. And Meck didn't launch, as ne never left his feet. Textbook wood laying'!
    I agree 100%. This is a perfect tackle and this clip should be used as a training tool on how to tackle.

For me, the winner is a tie between Atwater and Dennis Smith. I was lucky enough to see nearly every game of both of their complete careers and during the time when both were lined up together, our defense was frightening to opposing receivers and RB's. I think they should be considered one of the most feared safety combos in football history. Don't think anyone's posted this Dennis Smith vid yet...it starts with the hit on Roosevelt Potts and just gets better from there...

Last edited by Dennis.1960; 02-06-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    For me, the winner is a tie between Atwater and Dennis Smith. I was lucky enough to see nearly every game of both of their complete careers and during the time when both were lined up together, our defense was frightening to opposing receivers and RB's. I think they should be considered one of the most feared safety combos in football history. Don't think anyone's posted this Dennis Smith vid yet...it starts with the hit on Roosevelt Potts and just gets better from there...

There aren't many safety tandems better than Smith/Atwater in the history of the NFL and none that hit harder. Then add Meck and that was a scary D. Like I said above, I'm not sure how anyone that watched Dennis Smith's entire career could be surprised that others think Smith is Atwater's equal when it came to hard hits. Smith made 6(?) Pro Bowls himself and probably deserved a couple more. And a few of those RBs Smith was hitting were as big or bigger than Akoye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post

They interviewed Atwater yesterday on the radio. He said after he watched Dennis Smith practice and play, he knew he had to step up his game.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    They interviewed Atwater yesterday on the radio. He said after he watched Dennis Smith practice and play, he knew he had to step up his game.
    Sorry if it's been posted somewhere on the site already, but here's a cool article from January with Smith talking about Atwater's development.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/h...-fame-finalist

I agree with those who say you can't talk Atwater as a hitter w/o talking about Smith. If I had to rank them, I'd put Atwater #1, but out of respect for all three (to include Lynch), I try not to decide. The reason is, IMO, they are all top 10 hitters of all time at safety. The Broncos have just been blessed with some great hitters over the years. I'm not forgetting Harden or Stewart either. They deserve an honorable in here. Stewart for sure. He and Ward were like a modern day rendition of what we had with Atwater and Smith as enforcers. We don't win the SB without that dynamic. And it's really hard to do that nowadays, because safeties are smaller and the game is officiated differently. Stew and Ward had to walk a fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Stew and Ward had to walk a fine line.
    Agreed. Can you imagine if Atwater & Smith played today? Every other play would be a personal foul and they'd both be ejected before the 2nd quarter

The first safety tandem I recall that became known for inspiring fear in the offense was Tatum/Atkinson. I remember seeing an interview with Viking receiver Ahmad Rashad and he said before the Viking-Raider SB back in '76 that he and the other receivers were absolutely scared to death of those guys. Love or hate them they really took brutal hits to another level and there have been very few teams since to have a pair of safeties that feared. I think Atwater/Smith were the next evolution of that blueprint. Following that I'd have to say Earl Thomas/Kam Chancellor were the most recent...

I miss defensive football and would much rather watch a 9 - 7 defensive struggle than a 50 - 47 shootout any day. That's why our D's performance in SB50 was so special in this day and age where the rules do everything possible to promote super offensive high scoring games. Watching us completely shut down "SuperCam" was a thing of beauty

Coincidently, Steve Atwater just announced that Dennis Smith will present him in the HOF. Atwater said:
    'It's a small way for me to say "thank you"': Steve Atwater asks Dennis Smith to present him for enshrinement in Hall of Fame
    https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/i...-smith-to-pres

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Coincidently, Steve Atwater just announced that Dennis Smith will present him in the HOF. Atwater said:

another example of how he is a class act

Fitting, Very Fitting
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Joe Mays is an honorable mention ..............he lacked consistency but when he got you on the screws ........you felt it. Some opponents even left the game with less body parts

Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

That's Steve Atwater in a nutshell. Always been a true gentleman and class act off the field.

Can't wait to see both back together for the enshrinement!
    Last edited by BroncosDivision; 02-07-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Hard to be mad at the Hall of Fame for continuously overlooking Gradishar when our own fans keep forgetting about him.

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Dan Hampton remembers asking Walter Payton, "Walter, who gave you the hardest hit you ever took in the NFL?". According to Hampton, Payton replied, "Randy Gradishar, 1978"
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

I love it! The best hitting safety pair in NFL history back together again. Christian Okoye & Roosevelt Potts better stay far away from this HoF ceremony

I forgot how violent Smith was. His ability to diagnose plays and fly to the ball was pretty impressive. He was pretty fast for a safety.
    He was every bit as good as Ronny Lott but didnít get the recognition because Denver just didnít get the exposure. He was probably a better athlete than Lott was. Iíll bet those two were fun to watch together at USC.