Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading Up?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    If Chase Young falls to 3 (another team trading up to 2 for a QB), I would send our first, Von, and our 2nd up to Detroit in a hot second for Young. Keep our 3 3rds and do some good picking in the middle of the draft. The impact Bosa had for S.F. can not be minimized and having both Chubb and Young under team control for at least the next 3 years with a young QB could be an amazing foundation.
    It would be a hard sell for me to get rid of one of our best players and leader who plays a position that is a strentgth plus a valuable pick just to put an unproven player in his place and not use the pick to fill holes that really need addressed. I do not see that as a move forward at this point. We are liable to end up with another hole and one less top pick.

I think we have some very good talent on both sides of the ball and 12 picks to address issues including st. And Fa of course. I say letís keep as many of our vets who are playing well and and have adjusted to Vics scheme and concentrate on getting better in places where where we donít have that luxury. Jmo
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-05-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Obviously Elway had similar thinking the year we took Ray. Obviously Ray is no Chase Young. I understand the logic that we have other holes, but certain positions effect the game more than others. San Fran has taken a high pick on DL since forever it seems like (4/5 years). There is a reason the gap in trade value from the 1 pick to third is massive, because you are getting the best player in the country and there is a drop after that. I love Von as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day he's older and expensive. Also, if this was a transcendent QB (Peyton/A.Luck, etc.) that we were getting as a rookie, we would all be on board and wouldn't argue over an older QB that is declining and that is expensive.

The Phillies would say it's ok not to overpay for the "star"
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Obviously Elway had similar thinking the year we took Ray. Obviously Ray is no Chase Young. I understand the logic that we have other holes, but certain positions effect the game more than others. San Fran has taken a high pick on DL since forever it seems like (4/5 years). There is a reason the gap in trade value from the 1 pick to third is massive, because you are getting the best player in the country and there is a drop after that. I love Von as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day he's older and expensive. Also, if this was a transcendent QB (Peyton/A.Luck, etc.) that we were getting as a rookie, we would all be on board and wouldn't argue over an older QB that is declining and that is expensive.

QB is a completely differant story. If you were asking about trading up for Burrow, I could understand that. Not an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    It would be a hard sell for me to get rid of one of our best players and leader who plays a position that is a strentgth plus a valuable pick just to put an unproven player in his place and not use the pick to fill holes that really need addressed. I do not see that as a move forward at this point. We are liable to end up with another hole and one less top pick.

I think we have some very good talent on both sides of the ball and 12 picks to address issues including st. And Fa of course. I say let’s keep as many of our vets who are playing well and and have adjusted to Vics scheme and concentrate on getting better in places where where we don’t have that luxury. Jmo
    agreed

Respectful of the OP, I will not dwell on trading back....but my general approach to this draft is to hold or trade back, because of how we are set up, and based on who might go before us. But trading up is still conceivable, especially if someone falls more than anticipated. Because in my opinion, if a player in a position of need drops enough, it is worth the investment. Every pick that player drops is worth a load of capital. At some point, the cost of not moving up for that type of talent, in that position, becomes relevant. Say one of the top Oliners on our board slides, I consider it worthy of a look.

Trading up makes even more sense to me with our 2nd selection. But in that scenario, I need to mention trading back with our first pick (sorry to The OP), because the draft capital value add is worth the move. And then (after carefully assessing how the draft is going) proceed to land a really good Oliner or WR for example a little later in round one, but then follow up with a really good Oliner or WR (the reverse) with our 2nd selection. The draft capital we gained for the trade back helps us trade forward with our 2nd selection. We end up taking care of 2 needs, with 2 players we really like.

Now....this involves a lot of analysis and trust, but it is worth considering if the ducks line up....
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-05-2020 at 02:42 PM.

I also really don't like giving capital away this draft specifically because it is a really deep draft. We also I don't feel would be a good fit for a guy like young. Both would play the mack like role in the fangio defense. They also need to be able to drop into coverage alot. Fangio likes getting pressure from the dline. I just don't feel like moving up for him would be a great move in this defense. We have a guy who had a great rookie year and put up great numbers as a rookie. Then a faster guy who can cover decently and rush the passer well. That is an ideal fit for this defense with how much they like to drop our lobs. Who also knows how young would look in space and there is normally a transition period. Plus we have other holes. If I am looking at trading up it is either a tackle I like dropped to the bottom half of the top ten or Simmons dropped to the bottom end of the top 10. Ideally I would like to keep our picks cause this draft is really strong and this is a year I would easily move picks from next year more then anything else. Expecially if a guy like thomas or shenualt dropped to the end of the first it would be really tempting for me to try to package picks to grab one. Also if Detroit is looking to trade down we would need to give up more. Miller is not worth a first at this point in his career and they will get offered multiple firsts to move down expecially by a qb needy team if tua checks out on his medical exam at the combine. Trading up for Young or number 3 would be way more expensive then you think especially when another team offers multiple firsts. We also have enough holes on this roster we need more picks not less.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I guess all I ever want is for our GM/support cast, to not only have done their absolute best homework in creating their board (which I am sure they will), and that they keep things as fluid as possible. In other words, look for opportunities throughout, to trade up or back if it adds value. In the same draft I can see doing both. I will never forget how Ditka and his gang traded their entire draft for Ricky Williams (who I do like), and then they were thinking about their golf game. That was pathetic.

Drafts are critical aspects of football. CRITICAL! Earn your keep. Be prepared. And be opportunistic. And with a solid FAgency, this draft could catapult us into playoff territory.

It just seems like a lateral move. Yes you get younger at the position and should Young pan out thereís no drop off but you also potentially miss out on filling other holes on this team. If we were set at CB and set on the oline then maybe I could see this happening but right now I canít get behind it. Stick with Chubb and Miller and keep getting guys like Hollins and Reed until someone pans out or you have to draft another top tier pass rusher.

Apples to Oranges

You aren't talking about a QB and by the way in your scenario, I would argue with it. I would not have traded Elway for Maddox
    and how did Luck vs Manning work out

You are talking about a trade that is

Possible HOF OLB, Super Bowl Mvp, leader of our team who plays well in vics D + a 2nd round pick

for a

Unproven but possible good/great OLB and losing a # 2pick to fill an existing hole

No where even close to the same situation
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-05-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Not a fan of trading up with this deep of a draft and so many needs. Lets just keep our picks and get BAP.

Quote Originally Posted by S037474 View Post
    Not a fan of trading up with this deep of a draft and so many needs. Lets just keep our picks and get BAP.
    Agreed. Possible that 4 QB's go before the 15th pick. That means there should be some quality there @ 15. Should allow for a possible trade back just like last year if the target is someone that could be had back in the 20's...or....just stand pat. No need to trade up.

I could see trading up to 9 to grab a quality OT.

If Thomas or Wills are still on the board, we could package our 1st and two 3rds to make the move.

I'd rather trade down, though. 15 looks like it's going to be a dead zone of reaching. Unless a good tackle, or someone like Simmons falls to that spot, I'd rather have a pick in the mid 20s and another 2nd rounder.

If I had to guess, the odds would be as follows:

Trade Up - 10%
    Hold - 55%
    Trade Back - 35%

I was going to go less than 10 for trade up, but I have a sense that if Elway loves a player or two just ahead of us, he might do the deed.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.

I generally think of trading up in the first as a strategy for teams missing 1 key component (QB obviously, but could be a single missing link like OT for example) or for teams that absolutely need a QB. In either case, the team (and fans) have to be OK coming out of the draft with 1 marquee player and not much else. It's not the strategy I'd use for a team with multiple needs like the Broncos. That said, it could make situational sense if a player we really want drops and we need to leapfrog a couple spots. Same with trading down if there's an opportunity to gain more draft capital (again, multiple needs) and still get equivalent prospects that meet needs.

Let me ask you guys this....

Is there any value in stockpiling some significant capital for the 21 draft ................................~just in case Drew Lock isn't quite 'it'.

As well as he showed, anything can happen in 5 or 6 games whatever it was. I'm not really negative on Lock but the cautious part of me wants to be able to move up and get 'That top QB'
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top